Did Eagles tamper for Saquon Barkley? Here’s what he said

Procus

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2024/03/did-eagles-tamper-to-land-saquon-barkley-heres-what-he-said.html

Did Eagles tamper for Saquon Barkley? Here’s what he said

• Updated: Mar. 14, 2024, 4:20 p.m.|
  • Published: Mar. 14, 2024, 3:39 p.m.

By Cayden Steele | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Saquon Barkley talked about many topics during his introductory press conference on Thursday, including why he signed with the Eagles and how he expects to fit in.

After answering a few of those questions, he was eventually asked about something more serious: Did Eagles general manager Howie Roseman call you during the free agency negotiation period?

"Coach (James) Franklin and I, I think kind of misinterpreted it,” Barkley told reporters. "The truth was the sale pitch to Penn State, how many Penn State fans are Philadelphia Eagles fans. But that was through my agent, and my agent told me that.”

Penn State coach James Franklin said Roseman spoke on the phone with Barkley before the start of free agency and now the league is looking into potential tampering, according to NFL Network.

During the 52-hour negotiation period, teams can speak to agents about deals but direct contact with players is forbidden.

The Eagles issued a denial and a team spokesperson told ProFootballTalk that all communication happened through Barkley’s agent. Additionally, the Falcons are also being investigated for tampering with quarterback Kirk Cousins.

If the Eagles are punished for tampering, they could lose a draft pick. The NFL stripped the Chiefs of a third-round pick for tampering with former Eagles wideout Jeremy Maclin in 2016, and the Cardinals had to swap third-round picks with the Eagles in 2023 for tampering with Jonathan Gannon before the Super Bowl.

The Giants chose not to re-sign Barkley, who they selected with the No. 2 pick in 2018, after years of contract talks. In Philadelphia, Barkley could rejuvenate his career and make the Giants regret letting him go.

Of course they "tampered". All Teams do. Another STUPID NFL rule.

I sure hope we don't get dinged a draft pick for this.  KC lost a 3rd for the Maclin tampering.  If we lose a 3rd because Frankin was too dumb to realize what he shouldn't be saying I'll drive to his house and take a dump on the hood of his car.

• Haha 1

The whole legal tampering thing is a farce. Don’t get me wrong if we did illegally contact Barkley then that’s just dumb. But at the same time all teams likely do it and the fact they have a legal tampering period make the whole thing a mockery.