Eagles cut 2 players before training camp | 3 thoughts on roster moves

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles cut 2 players before training camp | 3 thoughts on roster moves

The Eagles cut two players on Tuesday, exactly a week before the entire team is supposed to arrive at NovaCare Complex for training camp on July 28.

The team announced center Keegan Render was waived and cornerback Trevor Williams was released. Their departures come just a day after the team parted ways with undrafted wide receiver Khalil Tate.

Render joined the Eagles as an undrafted free agent last offseason. While he didn’t make the 53-man roster, he did bounce on-and-off the practice squad throughout his rookie year.

Williams was signed to a futures/reserve contract in January. Williams arrived in Philadelphia after spending last season with the Arizona Cardinals. The Penn State alum spent his first three seasons with the Los Angeles Chargers.

The Eagles’ roster now stands at 88 players. The Eagles received a roster exemption for defensive end Matt Leo, as part of the NFL’s International Player Pathway Program, so the team technically has three open roster spots heading into training camp.

Here are three quick thoughts on Tuesday’s roster moves:

1. The Eagles clearly feel they have enough talent at cornerback. Williams seemed like a smart pick up following the team’s playoff exit in January. However, despite his experience and versatility, Williams’ stay with the Eagles was short. While he was expected to compete for the starting nickel job, that battle will now feature a head-to-head tussle between Cre’Von LeBlanc and Nickell Robey-Coleman.

2. The backup center battle will between Nate Herbig and Luke Juriga. The Eagles gave Jeriga a nice signing bonus to join them in undrafted free agency. With Render off the roster, the battle to back up Jason Kelce is between the undrafted rookie and Herbig, who was in Juriga’s shoes last year. Herbig is a favorite of the coaching staff.

3. What should the Eagles do with their three open roster spots? The Eagles only have four tight ends and six running backs entering training camp. They could also look to add to their linebacker and defensive end depth charts as well.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2020/07/eagles-release-2-players-before-training-camp-3-thoughts-on-roster-moves.html

I'm a little surprised with Williams. There were some who thought if he could stay healthy he had a chance to challenge for that CB #2 spot. It does worry me a little that essentially Maddox is virtually guaranteed to start at this point. 

There aren't 3 open roster spots.  If currently at 87 (not including the roster exemption for Leo) then we still need to cut 7 more as teams will only be allowed an 80 man roster (not 90) for TC this year.  

I'm a little surprised with Williams. There were some who thought if he could stay healthy he had a chance to challenge for that CB #2 spot. It does worry me a little that essentially Maddox is virtually guaranteed to start at this point. 

I was looking forward to seeing him (Williams) in the mix because of his experience. He'll probably find a home somewhere if he can prove he can stay  healthy. I wonder if things would have worked out different if this was a normal off-season / preseason. 

They have to cut 7 more to get to the new 80 man limit

11 hours ago, Rob331 said:

They have to cut 7 more to get to the new 80 man limit

I think that's pretty straight forward for them to do though isn't it?