Post FA Mock (3-15-24)

Infam

Oh wow, what a FA that was. Yes there were some gambles, I get it. But these young players with huge upside are what you hope for in FA. I sure am excited!

So, let's assume my favorite target (still Joe Alt) is not available and does end up a top10 pick. I can still see us draft OL - if the guy Stout likes most is available. But this is the point in the year where I look really hard at the top prospects and try to figure out who will be in striking distance. So if Joe Alt is unavailable and I think Quinyon Mitchell who would be another super high value pick is long gone when we pick too.. I believe the most Eagles pick would be:

1-- DE: Jared Verse, FSU.  Yes, unless we trade Sweat or Reddick this may not be the biggest need. And I don't think we trade either unless we do get a really good offer. And those rumors about cutting Sweat? Unless he was a big time locker room cancer that will never happen. So why Verse? He is a perfect fit here and the kind of DE we don't really have. Super strong, smart consistent. I can't look at that dude and not think he would look natural in an Eagles uniform. At this point unless someone falls I believe he is the most likely choice. Not saying we will go DE no matter what, it's pretty much him or no DE but still. If I had to bet, at this point I would say he's the pick.

So now to the second rounders. I know everybody is excited about the new Roseman and the visits and all but I think chances are actually pretty damn low we draft a LB in the second round. Maybe this is the year where everything is different but if you ignore the media noise we actually didn't truly invest all that big into RB and LB. Given the cap those actual contracts were still not that big. I think we still want the crazy offense and the second round will keep adding to that. Because it just is so damn hard to find true gems via trade or in FA on this side of the ball, especially at the OL and WR positions. So, given that this CB class does suck... I think this is where we will go.

2-- WR: Xavier Leguette, SCU. Well, he may be a bit green and more of a project but he is a project with massive upside. I think he could be a good #3 receiver here right away. For 6'1, 221 his 4.39 was quite the wake up call for me to be honest. And he can return kicks, which is a bonus. In another year I think his upside would push him in the first but this receiver class is very good so I think we got a shot to get him. And we should.

2-- G: Zach Frazier, WVU. Love this guy. He is a super strong mauler and while the analysts ding his athleticism a bit I think he has shown at the combine that he can move and given some time in Stoutland University can be what we need blocking in space. His willpower and mauling strength is what we love and he would be the perfect fit at RG in my opinion.

3-- LB: Payton Wilson, NCS. Our type of linebacker: Sky high upside, often injured. Yes, I'm sorry.. sometimes I too think we should look for someone durable. But it is hard to find massive talent when a late third is the highest you are willing to go at this position. So you just hope his injuries are a thing of the past. And make no mistakes: injuries are the main reason he may be available late in the third because when healthy this man can play. Well he is one of the older prospects too. I think the trio of White, Dean and Wilson would be dangerous but given that we gave up next to nothing the potential of these three still is insane. When it comes to his play, his speed and range and anticipation would work very well with both White and Dean.

So where does that take us for the fifth round picks? I believe a very much needed addition is a competent QB backup and my favorite option would be Justin Fields. He is not starter material. But to play a few games when necessary or keep us entertained when we bench Hurts after we are up with a big lead? Yes, he would fit better than any option left. Unless you find someone to draft late. I'm sorry but I don't know what you see in McKee. I think he sucks.

Apart from a backup QB, I think we do need another TE that can block after we lost Stoll, we need another backup RB and we still have a big need at corner.

So my bet for these fifth apart from using them to make small trades up or a trade for Fields would be: CB, TE, RB.

And then we will add another CB when prices have cooled a bit later. I hope the money will still be there for one more significant move after the draft. Maybe we do trade Sweat and find a corner from that.

Offense:                                                                                                

Brown                                   Smith                                                               

Leguette                       Goedert                                                                           

Mailata - Dickerson - Jurgens - Frazier - Johnson                                             

Hurts                 Barkley               

Defense:  

Huff  - Carter  - Davis  - Verse

White    Wilson

Slay                                      ????

Rodgers

CJGJ                   Blankenship

I know, it may well be 3-4. Players work out either way. Just loved how young that DL would be with yet another first rounder invested.

I like Wilson think he goes higher then that and now after the Pickett trade that 3rd is 22 spots lower. 

rest of the players don’t really do anything for me think we need safety/corner over de/wr if we aren’t making any other moves. 

• Like 1

Theoretically both Verse and Wilson could be on the board but the former is likely a top 15 pick while the latter might not even make it out of the 2nd round.

Remember we’re not picking at #98 anymore but at #120 after the Pickett trade. We’re basically sliding from a late 3rd comp pick to a mid 4th rounder.

Personally I’m waiting for the next shoe to drop to do a new mock. What they’ll do with Reddick is the key IMO.

If they trade him or let him play out his contract, Eagles will most likely target a pass rusher early / in the first (Verse, Chop Robinson or Latu) but if they extend him, I’m leaning towards an OT (Guyton or Mims) or a CB (DeJean, Wiggins, McKinstry, Melton at #22 /after a small trade down or Arnold or Mitchell but they’ll have to trade up).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Theoretically both Verse and Wilson could be on the board but the former is likely a top 15 pick while the latter might not even make it out of the 2nd round.

Remember we’re not picking at #98 anymore but at #120 after the Pickett trade. We’re basically sliding from a late 3rd comp pick to a mid 4th rounder.

Personally I’m waiting for the next shoe to drop to do a new mock. What they’ll do with Reddick is the key IMO.

If they trade him or let him play out his contract, Eagles will most likely target a pass rusher early / in the first (Verse, Chop Robinson or Latu) but if they extend him, I’m leaning towards an OT (Guyton or Mims) or a CB (DeJean, Wiggins, McKinstry, Melton at #22 /after a small trade down or Arnold or Mitchell but they’ll have to trade up).

Yes, same here..I'm not sure what Howie has up his sleeve with Reddick so it's tough for that 1st rounder. Definitly believe a CB and LB will be in the 1st 3 picks we make.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Would love Mitchell but with what he showcased this offseason probably goes top 12 leaving us no chance.. to me it almost feels like we need to trade down with a couple of our picks and get a couple extra picks to fill in this year and next that we have lost in some trades  feel like we need some more picks!

2 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Would love Mitchell but with what he showcased this offseason probably goes top 12 leaving us no chance.. to me it almost feels like we need to trade down with a couple of our picks and get a couple extra picks to fill in this year and next that we have lost in some trades  feel like we need some more picks!

Totally agree. The type of prospects we could get at #22 are about the same as the once we can have at say #28. It’s all the same tier talentwise. 

If you can find a dance partner, trade down 6-8 spots and in the proces fetch another 3rd you do that.

Corners like Mckinstry and Melton, a LB like Cooper and OT’s like Guyton, Mims, Morgan and Suamataia come to mind in that 25-32 range.

Wilson would be a steal in the 3rd.  Like the mock, good thought put into it.  

• Like 1