Week 1 almost in the books - now what?

Rob331

Here are the needs and questions the Eagles still have. 

• Need 2 starting corners - one slot and one to replace Bradberry
  • Need a starting slot receiver (WR3)
  • Need 2 running backs
  • Need a TE depth upgrade
  • Need safety depth.  We only have 3 healthy safeties, CGJ, Blankenship and McCollum
  • Need to draft a starting quality linebacker. 
  • Question, what will they ger for Reddick? I was hoping for a 2 but that's just no longer in the cards. I think it'll be a 4 and that's actually being optimistic
  • Question, will Driscoll resign? if he does they need 1 more on the OL if he doesn't it's 2
  • Question, do they need a veteran defensive tackle to replace Fletcher Cox? Based on what's out there the answer is "no".
  • Question, can they still spend more? Startingly, YES. Overthecap.com has them at 5th in the league with $35M available to spend.

Free agency - 

• Sign CB JC Jackson. Based on Aage and performance, he's the bast out there
  • Sign  WR (slot) Hunter Renfrow. This is a no brainer. 

Trade -

• Reddick for a 4 this year and a 6 next year
  • First round pick #22 to Arizona for a 1 (#27) and a 3 (#90)
  • 2 of our 5's for a 4

Draft - 

• 1 CB/S Cooper DeJean Iowa 6'1" 209 4.52
  • 2 LB Edgerrin Cooper Texas A&M 6'2" 230 4.51
  • 2 CB Max Melton Rutgers 6'0" 190 4.39
  • 3 (from Arizona) RB Will Shipley Clemson 5'10" 205 4.50
  • 4 (from Reddick trade) OL Brandon Coleman TCU 6'5" 325 4.99
  • 4 (from Arizona) TE Jared Wiley TCU 6'6" 259 4.62
  • 4 (from trade for 2 5's) RB Dillon Laube New Hampshire 6'1" 225 4.54
  • 5 S Jaylon Carlies Missouri 6'3" 219 4.50
  • 6 C/G CJ Hansen Holy Cross 6'6" 305 5.00

Roster - 

• QB Hurts, Pickett, McKee
  • RB Barkley, Gainwell,  Shipley, Laube
  • WR Smith, Brown, Renfrow, Covey.  Parker, Ngata, Allen and the others fight for 1 or 2 roster spots
  • TE Goedert, Wiley. Albert O,  Calcaterra and Togiai fight for a spot. 
  • OL Mailata, Dickerson, Jurgens, L Johnson, Hennessey, Steen, Coleman. F Johnson, R Johnson, Clark, Hansen, Kinnard, and Toth all on the bubble
  • Edge Sweat, Huff, Smith, BG, T Jackson. Watch for a priority UDFA to win a job. 
  • DT Davis, Carter, Williams, Tuipolotu, Ojomo
  • LB Dean, White, Cooper, VanSummeran. Baun, Lewis, Smith, Leonard, Okwara, Burke in a battle for 1 or 2 spots.
  • CB Slay, JC Jackson, Melton, Ringo, Rogers, McPhereson. Ricks, Jobe, Garner, Goodrich and Mullen duke it out for 1 spot
  • S CGJ, Blankenship, DeJean, and McCollum until S Brown is healthy. 

I’ve recently been eyeing that trade with Arizona it makes sense then wanting to move up and us wanting to move back.. first 3 picks I would be super happy just have a hard time seeing it. Two rbs feels overkill 

No edge/dline doesn’t feel right 

On 3/17/2024 at 4:35 PM, Cheesteakitis said:

Two rbs feels overkill 

Only 2 with any pedigree on the roster. We'll need 2 one way or the other. 

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Why?! Agreed that 2 RB’s are overkill, same can be said about corners. Two is overkill. We have a lot of young corners on the roster. If anything and you do want to add two corners, you need a boundary and a nickel corner, not two primarily outside corners…

Overall I like your mock a lot. Love most of the prospects you took.

10 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I mean I guess we have been carrying 4 rbs recently but I don’t get using 2nd and 4th on rb’s only to have one of them be inactive most of the season. 

rather take a flier on someone like Jk Dobbins or maybe some else left on the market or getting cut before the season. 
and draft one of our many other needs. 

13 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

I mean I guess we have been carrying 4 rbs recently but I don’t get using 2nd and 4th on rb’s only to have one of them be inactive most of the season. 

rather take a flier on someone like Jk Dobbins or maybe some else left on the market or getting cut before the season. 
and draft one of our many other needs. 

They still have about $20M so you may be right

20 hours ago, Ray75 said:

We have a lot of young corners on the roster. If anything and you do want to add two corners, you need a boundary and a nickel corner, not two primarily outside corners…

I would figure on DeJean as a slot competing with Rogers this year AS WELL AS back up safety. His size makes him able to play closeer to the line of scrimmage and size has been the issue causing Maddox' injuries. 

15 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I would figure on DeJean as a slot competing with Rogers this year AS WELL AS back up safety. His size makes him able to play closeer to the line of scrimmage and size has been the issue causing Maddox' injuries. 

I get you and yeah, I do love DeJean (first true white CB since Jason Sehorn) but you do not take a cb in the first to start ‘m at nickel.

Eagles signed Tyler Hall for depth. At 5.9 ft he played predominantly in the slot in Vegas. Now we have Rodgers, Ricks and Hall competing for the starting nickel job.

DeJean would probably start at outside corner opposite Slay.