Post Reddick-trade Mock (03-30-2024)

Ray75

Just when you think you’ve figured it out, Howie is throwing a curveball. Although I never doubted it could happen, he still managed to floor us.

Was I disappointed?! Absolutely! It’s not the trade itself I had an issue with, not even the compensation. We all knew this might be coming. A conditional 3rd that could become a 2nd if specific stats are met is likely the best they could get. It’s when we get the compensation! Look…I’m realistic…getting it in 2024 was a pipedream but why 2026 instead of next year?

A simple explanation would be that the Jets are all in this year and probably will have a better record than next year. Howie is banking on it that he’ll receive a higher pick in 2026. I get that but still…we have to wait two years to see who won this trade.

Basically they traded 29 year old Reddick for 25 year old Huff and a conditional 3rd in 2026 that can become a 2nd and in the process they saved themselves a ton of money. The dead cap is money already spend anyway.

Do I think Eagles will definitely target a pass rusher in the first now? No!
Do I think the possibility of them taking an edge in round 1 is higher now? Definitely!

But no reason to panic IMO. We swapped Reddick for Huff, added Julian Okwara, Terrell Lewis and Zach Baum, restructured Sweat’s contract and even brought VG back at age 36. Plus the scheme has changed and LB’s Burks, Dean and White are pretty good blitzers too so I’m not worried at all about our pass rush.

Before you kill me, I get the feeling Eagles believe they’ve done enough at LB and S in FA, still have faith in Dean, like what they have in Sydney Brown and probably think they’re set at both positions especially if they add another vet safety like Hyde, Blackmon or Simmons.

For the sake of the argument I say they will add one of those veteran safeties.

One last word before we scroll down to this mock draft. It wouldn’t surprise me if Howie has something else in the works. A trade of some kind for a CB like Jaycee Horn, Greg Newsome or even Patrick Surtain or something. We’ll see…

As for the draft…

Trade Alert!

Eagles trade pick No. 22, 53 and 171 to the Cincinnati Bengals for pick No.18 and 80.

1 Troy Fautanu, OT Washington;

Stoutland was all over this kid. I bet he’s pounding the table for Howie to get him. Fautanu will probably give Steen a run for his money at RG, would immediately solve our swing tackle problem and in the long run step into Lane’s footsteps. We found LJ’s heir. 🙏

Trade Alert!

Eagles trade pick No. 50 and 170 to the San Francisco 49’ers for pick No. 63 and 94.

2 Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri;

A CB with the talent, intelligence and versatility to play in every kind of coverage. Can play on the outside and at  nickel and is a willing tackler too…

3 Roman Wilson, WR Michigan;

Will compete with Parker and Campbell for the No.3 spot. If not Wilson, in this range there’ll be multiple options available…

3 Marshawn Kneeland, EDGE Western Michigan;

Another edge?! You bet! Too many unknowns, let them compete… May the best men win!

4 Will Shipley, RB, Clemson;

Versatile running back with talent as a runner, receiver and kick returner. 

5 Kristian Boyd, DT, Nothern Iowa;

DT depth

6 Tanner McLachlan, TE, Arizona;

Big backup TE

Priority UDFA’s:

- Omar Speights, LB, LSU;

- Dominique Hampton, S, Washington;

- Jarrett Kingston, OG, USC;

- Andrew Raym, OC, Oklahoma 

* any of these kids could be our 6th round selection instead of Tanner McLachlan.

Howie did it again..I have to redo my Mock because I had us keeping HR but I kind of

get it from Howie's side of it. I'm kind of 50/50 on your draft Ray but really what choice do we have, I get that OT..don't want to but 

Howie is going to do what he does. I like Abrams-Draine especially there and Shipley. I'm all over the place on Wilson, some days I'm like hell yeah..others I'm ehhh.

I like the TE but like All from Iowa . I'll get mine up and we can go over that. I know you'll have at least one more when some of this smoke settles and 

I agree, Howie ain't done.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

Howie did it again..I have to redo my Mock because I had us keeping HR but I kind of

get it from Howie's side of it. I'm kind of 50/50 on your draft Ray but really what choice do we have, I get that OT..don't want to but 

Howie is going to do what he does. I like Abrams-Draine especially there and Shipley. I'm all over the place on Wilson, some days I'm like hell yeah..others I'm ehhh.

I like the TE but like All from Iowa . I'll get mine up and we can go over that. I know you'll have at least one more when some of this smoke settles and 

I agree, Howie ain't done.

Thanks man!

Personally I’m huge on this O-line class and wouldn’t mind the Eagles taking one in the first. With Kelce re-tiring, Driscoll and Opeta signing elsewhere and LJ himself likely heading into retirement in a year or two, it’s an obvious need. 

Although I was hoping they’d take a corner in the first, that dream is slowly but surely evaporating. Still wouldn’t surprise me if Howie trades for a DB though.

Realistically Eagles will likely take an edge or a tackle in the first. What’s new?!

Wilson…yeah, I get you. It was more about the position than the specific player…could’ve gone with Ricky Pearsall, Devontez Walker, Jermaine Burton or Troy Franklin instead but you get the point…receiver it is…

Interested in yours, man! Can’t wait to read it! 👊🏻

• Like 1

I keep battling with whether or not I want us to take one of the badass OT talent early in the draft or a premium CB. I get the sense that it’s going to be Quinyon or bust re: using our first on a CB. 

A trade for Horn or Surtain seems like a real possibility given our cap space and high demand for a premium CB that can sure up our secondary this season. In my recent mock draft, I talked about how I think Vic will have a strong voice in the war room on Draft Day given Howie’s persistence and commitment to bring him in as DC.

In the scenario we can’t get Quinyon or Horn/Surtain, I think we stay put at 22 and take Guyton. Lane mentored him and I think really fits the mold of an early swing tackle who will be our starting RT in a year or two. Stoutland reportedly loves him.

Other notes - Would prefer a versatile secondary player like Javon Bullard who can offer what CGJ offers. Vic’s secondary gives a lot of different coverage looks, so this types of players would be impactful now (vs. a young CB who needs grooming - we are already grooming Rodgers, Ringo, and Hicks)

I like the idea of a pure slot WR like Malik Washington instead of Wilson - not in love with Wilson as a prospect.

Love the Shipley pick incase Saquan gets moved after 2 years in his 3 year deal like we just did with Reddick. Gives us talent on the depth chart, too.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, leftcoastnest said:

I keep battling with whether or not I want us to take one of the badass OT talent early in the draft or a premium CB. I get the sense that it’s going to be Quinyon or bust re: using our first on a CB. 

A trade for Horn or Surtain seems like a real possibility given our cap space and high demand for a premium CB that can sure up our secondary this season. In my recent mock draft, I talked about how I think Vic will have a strong voice in the war room on Draft Day given Howie’s persistence and commitment to bring him in as DC.

In the scenario we can’t get Quinyon or Horn/Surtain, I think we stay put at 22 and take Guyton. Lane mentored him and I think really fits the mold of an early swing tackle who will be our starting RT in a year or two. Stoutland reportedly loves him.

Exactly what I’m wrestling with. Would love Mitchell or Arnold in the first but those two are about the only corners in the first I really like. The other 3 have question marks. With Wiggins it’s his build (really skinny for an outside CB but the skills and instincts are there), McKinstry in my eyes is a poor man’s Surtain who’ll never reach that level and DeJean is a really good allround DB but does he have the hip flexibility to be a top outside corner in the NFL or is he better suited to play safety at the next level?!

With that said, if they can’t get Mitchell or Arnold and don’t want to use their first on a pass rusher, the best value is at OL. The reason I didn’t take Guyton is two fold; for one, I have already taken him in an early mock and two, still think #22 is a little early for him. I’d feel more comfortable taking him in that 25-32 range after a trade down.

I usually don’t create mocks about what I would do or what I want them to do but instead focus on what I think they might do. 

Took Fautanu cause I believe he’ll beat out Steen for the RG job and in the meantime cross train to become the Eagles next great RT.

if Howie thinks he can get Melton then I think he'll go for the edge or OT in the 1st. 

Like you - I've been on Shipley for a long time. 

For the sake of argument I'll go with you on Fautanu

Then - McConkey, Melton, Shipley in 2 - 3- 4. 

12 hours ago, Rob331 said:

if Howie thinks he can get Melton then I think he'll go for the edge or OT in the 1st. 

Like you - I've been on Shipley for a long time. 

For the sake of argument I'll go with you on Fautanu

Then - McConkey, Melton, Shipley in 2 - 3- 4. 

Love, love, love Melton but fear we’re not the only ones and he’ll go early - mid second like Lassiter, Tampa and Rakestraw.

We don’t always agree but with the loss of Kelce, Opeta and Driscoll and only adding Hennessy (coming of an injury who the Falcons didn’t want to re-sign), it has become pretty apparent OL is one if not THE biggest need on the team.

Luckily the OL class is loaded. Could they wait until the 2nd to address it?! Probably but you can bet that a team that prioritizes the trenches like the Eagles do want in. Hence the pre draft interest in OL prospects.

Not sexy I know but it wouldn’t surprise me if this is the direction they’re heading in.