The D looks worse than last year, what is Howie doing? (orig post 4/8/24)

opa-opa

We basically replaced 3 washed up LBs and replaced them with one possibly washed up LB whose last team benched him.

Our pass rush was already bad last year and we lost our best edge rusher and most consistent DT. 

The secondary MIGHT have improved...but we got worse everywhere else. Does Howie still have something up his sleeve? Are we gonna draft a LB in the first round? What is the plan here?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Wash these balls off your chin mofka

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

We're loading up to get Micah Parsons... woooooooo

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

We basically replaced 3 washed up LBs and replaced them with one possibly washed up LB whose last team benched him.

Our pass rush was already bad last year and we lost our best edge rusher and most consistent DT. 

The secondary MIGHT have improved...but we got worse everywhere else. Does Howie still have something up his sleeve? Are we gonna draft a LB in the first round? What is the plan here?

It's fine, our collapse was just due to poor weather. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

a high powered offense can make a defense better.  if you can score TDs at will you put pressure on the opposing offense to keep pace which means you are dictating what they do. im guessing this is going to be a lot like the indy D's that were built for Manning. rush the qb while the offense keeps dropping TDs down their throat. it's the only thing that makes sense to me

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Yeah, but Patricia and Morrow are outta here. Hopefully, Bradberry is next. Addition by subtraction. Those 3 alone cost us a bunch of games.

Talent wise it’s a push at best but we improved at RB so maybe they can keep the defense off the field. Also, improved at DC. 

• Like 2

The NFL script calls for a continued Philadelphia Eagles tank job.

It's not our turn anymore.

See you guys in another 47 years or so.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I would hold off until the draft. No idea what their plan is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, opa-opa said:

I must of missed the games they already played. 

1 hour ago, EmeraldArcher7154 said:

a high powered offense can make a defense better.  if you can score TDs at will you put pressure on the opposing offense to keep pace which means you are dictating what they do. im guessing this is going to be a lot like the indy D's that were built for Manning. rush the qb while the offense keeps dropping TDs down their throat. it's the only thing that makes sense to me

That was Chip's philosophy that ended up failing because the defense was exhausted trying to keep up

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

That was Chip's philosophy that ended up failing because the defense was exhausted trying to keep up

that wasn't his philosphy. chip was all about speed and tempo. with the signing of barkley that will mean more ball control with more running the ball. one of the biggest issues they had last year was the lack of ability of the offense to have sustained drives which exhausted the defense and they were burnt out by the SF game. the offense needs to be able to give the dfense time to recover and keep them off the field. we're also going to see more under center with hurts most likely

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Chips philosophy was also to score those tds at lightning speed. We have been a ball control offense while scoring tds since Nick got here

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, eaglestime34 said:

I must of missed the games they already played. 

Well, set a reminder next time!!

:whistle:

On 4/8/2024 at 8:36 AM, Mike030270 said:

Chips Philosophy was not a failure. It simply did not transfer to the professional NFL level. On college level it worked just fine. With No contracts, More players, etc..etc.. on the college level. :))

• Like 2

On 4/8/2024 at 9:40 AM, opa-opa said:

You're not totally wrong. LOL. I expect the D to be very bad this season.

Noooooo way they draft an LB with the 1st pick.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 6:40 AM, opa-opa said:

Don't underestimate the impact that a better DC can make.  

Your post hints of negadelphia.....because you're looking at it strictly negatively....

Players play better in system that compliment their abilities and/or for coaches who know how to use their talent.  And some players simply have down years....improvement is not a straight line ascension.   And when it comes to younger players, development can take 3-4 years to get to full potential.

Losing Cox won't be a much of a loss, and losing the LBs and Byard either.  I didn't agree with trading Reddick, but if Bryce Huff continues to get better, that will end up being a good trade.  Rodgers could be a very good addition at CB after being suspended for a year.  And Davis, Ringo, Carter, Ricks, Nolan Smith and a couple other are still very young and need to develop more.

The eagles always do this with LBs and all we can hope for is that Fangio knows how to get the best out of them for a year.  It's happened before, so we have to hope that Devin White can revert back to all-pro form and Nakobe Dean can develop and stay healthy and maybe add a young LB early in the draft, although that is a long shot.

Adding Barkley and Hennessy were solid additions to the offense, Parker and Campbell could play somewhat of a better role than Quez....but until Hurts starts getting thru his progressions faster, it doesn't matter who the 3rd receiver is.....they won't get more than 20 catches this year.....maybe.

Anyway, I've always been a believer that a coordinator, offense and defense, play a huge role in how effective their units are......And I really like Kellen Moore..I think the eagles offense becomes very dynamic and hard to stop....unless Sirianni gets involved too much.  I like Fangio too....he's way more experienced and effective than Johnson and Patricia.

I also think Howie is far from done.....with the draft, some trade assets, he could add some needed talent, along with post June 1 cuts, training camp cuts and Final Cut down possibilities that can fill a hole or two.  

Because of the new coordinators, I'm very optimistic that the eagles will get back to being a top NFC contender.

• Like 4

On 4/8/2024 at 10:54 AM, CouchKing said:

The NFL script calls for a continued Philadelphia Eagles tank job.

It's not our turn anymore.

See you guys in another 47 years or so.

No, script has the Eagles winning the division…When was the last time a team in the NFC East won the division in consecutive years. 

• Like 2

I'm looking at our defense and thinking dang I wish there was some sort of event for acquiring new talent before the season starts, maybe a few more months of free agency and players being released by other teams, as it is I don't know what the f#*k Howie is doing, this defense looks worse than last year.

Did I tell you about the time I got kicked in the head by a horse?

• Like 2

Other than Reddick, who did we lose on defense that is going to hurt us?  I was happy to see Byard go ... I am all about the youth movement.  Evans?  Never healthy. Morrow?  Again, glad to see him go and get younger there.  We don't know yet what White, Burks, or Baun will bring to the LB position but we do know we got younger.  With all signed for just 1 year I am super hopeful that means that (1) they are band aids for the 2024 season (with the potential to play their way into longer term fixtures here) and (2) we are planning to address LB in the draft in 2 weeks.  

At safety we should be OK there once Brown is back ... between CJGJ, Blank, and Brown I am hopeful we find a decent starting tandem.  Would still like to add another via the draft to throw into the mix.

We still don't know what we have at CB.  I do wish Bradberry was part of the purge as part of the youth movement.  Maybe he won't be guaranteed a starting spot and will need to earn it ... I am hopeful there is a legitimate competition for that spot and if one of the younger players like Ricks or Ringo outplay him, they are awarded the spot..  

We just drafted 3 interior DL on day 1 or 2 in the past 3 drafts so we should be OK there (have to hope Davis takes another step forward to start playing like a player that is drafted in top half of 1st rd should and that Carter makes a big leap in year 2).  I think we still could use some help on the edge and believe EDGE is in play with our 1st (or at least with a relatively high pick) in 2 weeks.  

I think we'll be seeing more of a transition year on defense and I'm fine with that.  Get the right players and let them start getting comfortable in the new defensive scheme and building chemistry playing together ... hopefully they are a much better unit in 2025.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Don't underestimate the impact that a better DC can make.  

Your post hints of negadelphia.....because you're looking at it strictly negatively....

Players play better in system that compliment their abilities and/or for coaches who know how to use their talent.  And some players simply have down years....improvement is not a straight line ascension.   And when it comes to younger players, development can take 3-4 years to get to full potential.

Losing Cox won't be a much of a loss, and losing the LBs and Byard either.  I didn't agree with trading Reddick, but if Bryce Huff continues to get better, that will end up being a good trade.  Rodgers could be a very good addition at CB after being suspended for a year.  And Davis, Ringo, Carter, Ricks, Nolan Smith and a couple other are still very young and need to develop more.

The eagles always do this with LBs and all we can hope for is that Fangio knows how to get the best out of them for a year.  It's happened before, so we have to hope that Devin White can revert back to all-pro form and Nakobe Dean can develop and stay healthy and maybe add a young LB early in the draft, although that is a long shot.

Adding Barkley and Hennessy were solid additions to the offense, Parker and Campbell could play somewhat of a better role than Quez....but until Hurts starts getting thru his progressions faster, it doesn't matter who the 3rd receiver is.....they won't get more than 20 catches this year.....maybe.

Anyway, I've always been a believer that a coordinator, offense and defense, play a huge role in how effective their units are......And I really like Kellen Moore..I think the eagles offense becomes very dynamic and hard to stop....unless Sirianni gets involved too much.  I like Fangio too....he's way more experienced and effective than Johnson and Patricia.

I also think Howie is far from done.....with the draft, some trade assets, he could add some needed talent, along with post June 1 cuts, training camp cuts and Final Cut down possibilities that can fill a hole or two.  

Because of the new coordinators, I'm very optimistic that the eagles will get back to being a top NFC contender.

Your rationale for being optimistic includes a heavy dose of "some" "if" "hope" "maybe" "could" "I think" statements.

How is going off actual results being irrational ?  

How I see it, is your are just hoping that things change an didn't provide any concrete reasons that the defense has improved.

It's more irrational to believe losing Cox / Graham (vets) is beneficial to us. 

I could do the digging and likely find how you stated Byard was going to fix the safety problem last year and add ALL-PRO talent to the defense but I'll save you the embarrassment. 

Lastly, the new coordinators optimism line was common last year, please stop. I bet I could also dig up posts about you fan-girling over Desai, and then Patricia LOL. We all hope they're going to be better but writing out those hopes isn't changing anything 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2024 at 11:41 AM, EmeraldArcher7154 said:

that wasn't his philosphy. chip was all about speed and tempo. with the signing of barkley that will mean more ball control with more running the ball. one of the biggest issues they had last year was the lack of ability of the offense to have sustained drives which exhausted the defense and they were burnt out by the SF game. the offense needs to be able to give the dfense time to recover and keep them off the field. we're also going to see more under center with hurts most likely

Did Hurts even play under center outside of the tush push? All the designed QB runs were from shotgun. I think the other 2 plays in the playbook were also from shotgun. Hopefully the new OC has a more diverse play list. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GreenMachine said:

Did Hurts even play under center outside of the tush push? All the designed QB runs were from shotgun. I think the other 2 plays in the playbook were also from shotgun. Hopefully the new OC has a more diverse play list. 

Hurts has adjusted to every new coordinator that he had in the past. There is no reason to believe that he will not adjust to Moore offense. With a heavy dose of Barkley in support, and staple TE outlet, the offense is in good shape. I am sure that the Eagles will move up for OT in the first. So I am confident that we will be competitive on offense. The D is not in as good of the shape…Need LBs, Corner, DE. Multi year rebuild of the D. But if offense stumbles this year… then Hurts will be in the hot seat as well and we might be looking for a new QB. I am praying that Hurts steps up. No more excuses. The only fly in the ointment is our WR situation. (potential conflict in contract situation.) for the highest compensated tandem of WR in the league.

• Like 1

There's no way this offense will somehow transform into a high scoring offense. That puts more pressure on the D. The best LB we had recently was Kyzir White, and they let him walk.

• Like 1

The defense was unsustainably bad last year. They’ll be better by sheer chance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:31 PM, GreenMachine said:

no not really and he didn't do a lot of it in college. im sure they're going to still use shotgun but moore primarily has his qb work from under center. im hoping we dont get as many shotgun RB runs this season either. i really hope moore decides to really mix it up and disguise things. you dont sign barkley at that number and not plan to run him a significant amount. we will see lol

• Like 1