Did Eagles waste a 4th rounder on Genard Avery?

QBhunter58

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2020/8/10/21360197/eagles-genard-avery-trade-fourth-round-pick-nfl-draft-philadelphia-defensive-end-vinny-curry-ostman

I like Avery a lot better than Miller, but he is not a 4-3 DE. He flashes potential, but he simply is not a scheme fit...Maybe they run him out at linebacker? I think his days are numbered

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I like Avery a lot better than Miller, but he is not a 4-3 DE. He flashes potential, but he simply is not a scheme fit...Maybe they run him out at linebacker? I think his days are numbered

Thoughts?

I think he is a great fit here because the team loves to run stunts between the DTs and DEs, and Avery did that very well in Cleveland. I think the team would have done it more last year, but losing Jackson to injury made it tougher, because you couldn't do that a lot with our backup DTs.

We will see how much of a shot he gets this year. I do think he makes the roster as the fifth DE, and I think the Eagles will keep six guys at the position.

He's a situational pass rusher...if you're picking a DE in the 4th, that's generally what you're trying to find.

Wasted pick? Only if he doesn't work out.

A fourth round pick for a guy who did flash and was always a project for us... No that's not a waste. He brings a skill set that we don't have at DE, he's still got a chance of making it.

17 hours ago, Rob331 said:

stupid  - they're not even wearing pads yet

And Avery doesn't wear pads during the games either.

30 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

And Avery doesn't wear pads during the games either.

Not sure I understand that comment. He dressed and played 8 out of 10 games he was with the Eagles after the trade, lol. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Not sure I understand that comment. He dressed and played 8 out of 10 games he was with the Eagles after the trade, lol. 

Inactive for 3 out of the last 5 weeks of the season, including the playoff game.  Reached 10 snaps once.  That qualifies for not wearing pads.

• Like 1

Too early to tell.  If he has basically no impact this upcoming season (after being here for a full season vs being added mid season like last year) then for sure it was a wasted pick.  Early gut feeling is, that is going to turn out to be the case.  Hope I’m wrong.  

I think Avery is a hell of a lot better than most think. Jim needs to find a way to keep him on the field. 

8 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

And basically had zero impact, right?  

I hope they have a plan for him this year.  I don't think they give up a 4th for someone and not even give him a chance.  Whose fault is it if it doesn't work?  Howie's?  Or the defensive coaching staff?  I personally didn't expect much from him last year, but I expect a decent contribution this year.  

6 hours ago, hputenis said:

I hope they have a plan for him this year.  I don't think they give up a 4th for someone and not even give him a chance.  Whose fault is it if it doesn't work?  Howie's?  Or the defensive coaching staff?  I personally didn't expect much from him last year, but I expect a decent contribution this year.  

Absolutely. He's a project. That was always the plan for him I believe. They brought him in during the season so they always were going to need time to develop him. 

2 hours ago, eggs said:

Sounds like he is better as a linebacker in a 3-4 defense

Possibly... But I think this team can utilise him in a number of packages to do a number of different things.