Danielle Hunter (Minnesota DE) - Potential Trade

time2rock

Having traded for Ngakoue and the need to get him inked to a new contract, I have a feeling Minny will try to unload Hunter.  At only 25 years old and having logged triple digit sacks in 3 of the last 4 years, I'd certainly have interest in adding him to our DL.  In a year where the draft picks are based more on projections due to the uncertainty of the college football season, if he can be had for say a 2nd rd pick (and even a 2022 conditional pick thrown in) similar to what Jacksonville received for Ngakoue, I think it would be a no-brainer (cap situation be damned).  

• Like 1

What kind of contract would he be after though? Not an insignificant one given his stats...

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Having traded for Ngakoue and the need to get him inked to a new contract, I have a feeling Minny will try to unload Hunter.  At only 25 years old and having logged triple digit sacks in 3 of the last 4 years, I'd certainly have interest in adding him to our DL.  In a year where the draft picks are based more on projections due to the uncertainty of the college football season, if he can be had for say a 2nd rd pick (and even a 2022 conditional pick thrown in) similar to what Jacksonville received for Ngakoue, I think it would be a no-brainer (cap situation be damned).  

35 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Having traded for Ngakoue and the need to get him inked to a new contract, I have a feeling Minny will try to unload Hunter.  At only 25 years old and having logged triple digit sacks in 3 of the last 4 years, 

Triple digit sacks three of the last four years.  I would trade at least the second they gave up for Yannick.

The Vikings build there team around defense. They will sign Hunter. Him and Yannick are the same type of player. Why give up a 2nd+ for the same player to let the other go when they will demand the same contract. Yannick is Griffens replacement, not Hunters. 

27 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

The Vikings build there team around defense. They will sign Hunter. Him and Yannick are the same type of player. Why give up a 2nd+ for the same player to let the other go when they will demand the same contract. Yannick is Griffens replacement, not Hunters. 

I was wondering if maybe they feel they are at an impasse when it comes to locking him up.  It was at least speculated in a piece on PFT recently.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/30/yannick-ngakoue-trade-raises-more-questions-about-danielle-hunter/

But you could be right with that last line.  That is going to be one damn good set of bookends if both stay!  

• 3 weeks later...

He was my #1 mid round target that year.  We took Hicks right in front of him.  Hicks was fine for a 3rd round pick, but that was a rough miss when we knew we needed a DE.

The Eagles should be sellers, not buyers right now.  But a 25 year old STUD DE?  Sure, go for it.

They'd have to cleanse half the roster to extend him though.

8 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He was my #1 mid round target that year.  We took Hicks right in front of him.  Hicks was fine for a 3rd round pick, but that was a rough miss when we knew we needed a DE.

The Eagles should be sellers, not buyers right now.  But a 25 year old STUD DE?  Sure, go for it.

They'd have to cleanse half the roster to extend him though.

But a young player who could bring some much needed play making ability to this defense...

I agree we should be sellers but I think we can be both to an extent. If there is a young player out there who is available then we should look to bring them in. Especially given how bad Howie is at drafting.