Joe Thuney (Patriots OL) -- SIGNED WITH KANSAS CITY

eaglesfan0075

There were rumors swirling around about the Eagles exploring a trade for Thuney, after Brandon Brooks suffered his season ending left Achilles tendon tear in camp. I know the team is trying to save cap space for next offseason, so this might not be something they ultimately pursue, but it's worth mentioning.

Even if Brooks was healthy, the team could certainly have used an upgrade over Seumalo/Pryor at the other OG spot. With Brooks out, the hole at guard is exacerbated even more with Jason Peters and Jason Kelce being the only stable options on the OL while the team is weak at the other three spots (until Lane Johnson returns to RT).

It might not be a bad idea to trade for a proven 27 year old guard with a 2021 draft pick or two, since the pandemic will make evaluating college prospects next year an even tougher task. If Zach Ertz gets placed on the trade block, I would imagine the Patriots would be interested as well and that could be an alternative route if you want to save draft capital.

The Eagles will almost inevitably have to invest early draft capital in the trenches once again next year, so why not solidify one of those spots for the next 5 years or so? The one big hurdle would be trying to manage an extension with the team's current cap situation, but the talent would be worth the draft capital/a disgruntled Ertz.

If not Thuney, the team should really consider signing Cordy Glenn to play guard as he won't cost draft capital, but can be an upgrade over what we have right now.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No thanks. 27 is too old to trade away assets. This team isn't a RG away from being decent. 

What if that asset is a 29 year old TE and maybe a later pick? I can definitely see why there would be hesitation over potentially spending a day 2 pick on a 27 year old RG, but a mid-late round pick with Ertz could be more appealing if talks continue to get worse and there's no hope for a contract extension.

I agree that Thuney won't fix everything, but he could be a foundational piece of the OL for the next 5 years or so while the team drafts more OL to groom behind Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, etc...

6 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

What if that asset is a 29 year old TE and maybe a later pick? I can definitely see why there would be hesitation over potentially spending a day 2 pick on a 27 year old RG, but a mid-late round pick with Ertz could be more appealing if talks continue to get worse and there's no hope for a contract extension.

I agree that Thuney won't fix everything, but he could be a foundational piece of the OL for the next 5 years or so while the team drafts more OL to groom behind Kelce, Brooks, Johnson, etc...

I'd rather they get better assets for Ertz... We need young talent on this team. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Ertz and a pick for him no. Ertz for him and a pick and we’re talking. 

6 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Ertz and a pick for him no. Ertz for him and a pick and we’re talking

14 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd rather they get better assets for Ertz... We need young talent on this team. 

I like the way you guys think haha. It looks like the Patriots have to forfeit their 2021 3rd round pick because of their filming the Bengals sideline in 2019, so their remaining draft picks after Round 2 are a 4th, 5th, two 6th rounders, and a 7th rounder. Ertz is not going to garner us a 1st or even 2nd round pick at this stage of his career at age 29, but Thuney and a mid-round pick isn't out of the question.

4 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I like the way you guys think haha. It looks like the Patriots have to forfeit their 2021 3rd round pick because of their filming the Bengals sideline in 2019, so their remaining draft picks after Round 2 are a 4th, 5th, two 6th rounders, and a 7th rounder. Ertz is not going to garner us a 1st or even 2nd round pick at this stage of his career at age 29, but Thuney and a mid-round pick isn't out of the question.

You don't think Ertz would get even a second? I do. He's only 29 and his game does translate well to a player who could play at a high level for another few years at least. For a team that is a legit contender I think they'd give up a 2nd.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You don't think Ertz would get even a second? I do. He's only 29 and his game does translate well to a player who could play at a high level for another few years at least. For a team that is a legit contender I think they'd give up a 2nd.

Well, you do have a point there. The Patriots did give up a 2nd for Mohamed Sanu, which was an overpay, so I don't think they'd complain much if that's the price for Ertz. Especially since they are probably gonna pick in the bottom half anyways.

Maybe a 1st isn't out of the question? Less likely, but perhaps a playoff team like the Pats pull the trigger with the uncertainty in the 2021 draft.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

Maybe a 1st isn't out of the question? Less likely, but perhaps a playoff team like the Pats pull the trigger with the uncertainty in the 2021 draft.

Pats might, Saints perhaps could? Then it starts to become tricky. I mean who else is a contender that needs an legit receiving TE? What about Seattle? Rams? Cowboys do but let's not trade with them. 

On 9/16/2020 at 9:54 PM, What The F said:

Ertz to Patriots for Thuney and a conditional 4th

On 9/16/2020 at 9:56 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No thanks. 

I’d do that in a heartbeat!

We basically swap a disgruntled TE for a 2 yr younger and btw one of the better guards in the league and as a bonus add a 4th rounder to our draft capital next year.

Look I love what Ertz has done for us and I’ll always view him as an Eagle hero but the fact that he’s envious because two better TE’s got new contracts with two years left on his own pretty lucrative deal just pisses me off.

I utterly hate it if people start complaining while making millions. Especially in this day and age with so many people losing their jobs because of Covid-19.

If the pandamic should have taught us anything is that we should count our blessings, not be selfish, care for each other and respect each others space. Amen! 👊🏻

8 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

We basically swap a disgruntled TE for a 2 yr younger and btw one of the better guards in the league and as a bonus add a 4th rounder to our draft capital next year.

But we have Brooks back next year... They've guaranteed his salary for 2021 so he's coming back. 

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But we have Brooks back next year... They've guaranteed his salary for 2021 so he's coming back. 

Indeed! But Brooks isn’t getting any younger and has been hurt a lot...

Just now, Ray75 said:

Indeed! But Brooks isn’t getting any younger and has been hurt a lot...

But say he has another couple of years... Thurney will be approaching 30 by that point. And he's not going to be cheap. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But say he has another couple of years... Thurney will be approaching 30 by that point. And he's not going to be cheap. 

We don’t know for sure if Brooks has multiple good years left in the tank.

What we do know is that he’s 30/31 yrs old now and injured again. Whether you like it or not...he’ll probably decline being just older and coming back from an injury. It’s only natural.

41 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

We don’t know for sure if Brooks has multiple good years left in the tank.

What we do know is that he’s 30/31 yrs old now and injured again. Whether you like it or not...he’ll probably decline being just older and coming back from an injury. It’s only natural.

But he's also back in 2021...