August 16Aug 16 Eagles' Uar Bernard, Joshua Weru play in their 1st-ever football gameEagles rookies Uar Bernard and Joshua Weru played in their first-ever football games on Saturday night.By Dave Zangaro • Published August 16, 2026BALTIMORE — Joshua Weru actually slept well on Friday night.The day before his first-ever football game, the Kenyan edge rusher got a good night’s sleep before the nerves eventually crept in as game time neared. On Saturday, one of Weru’s veteran teammates shared some words of wisdom."Jonathan Greenard, was telling me, ‘If you’re not nervous, there’s something wrong. It probably means you don’t care or there’s something wrong,’” Weru said. "You’re always going to get nervous, just always try to channel that into being effective.”Saturday night was a big night for two Eagles rookies. Both Weru, an edge rusher from Kenya, and Uar Bernard, a defensive tackle from Nigeria, played in their first-ever American football game — at any level. The Eagles lost 24-7 but both International Player Pathway program products played some defensive snaps in the second half and flashed a bit. If nothing else, it was another step in the right direction.Like Weru, Bernard admitted he was nervous leading up to the game, but felt comfortable once he got on the field."I had confidence in my teammates,” Bernard said. "I feel like I’m going to battle with brothers. So I feel comfortable with that.”Saturday was an important step as Bernard and Weru continue their journeys into the world of football less than a year after joining the IPP program. Their progress is already pretty amazing, but they know they still have a long way to go.The Eagles used a seventh-round pick to draft Bernard back in April then signed Weru shortly after the draft ended. Bernard and Weru were widely considered to be the two best players from the IPP this year and they are now continuing their journeys together with the Eagles."It’s crazy,” Weru said. "Again and again, it’s truly like you can see the blessings that are coming to both of our lives. The thought that we started earlier this year and we’ve actually gotten like substantial play time in the first preseason game. I can’t be anything but grateful.”Things obviously weren’t perfect for Bernard or Weru on Saturday night, but they got their feet wet and showed the type of promise they have been flashing at training camp this summer.In the fourth quarter, Bernard made a great play to shed a block in the deep red zone but then couldn’t bring down Ravens running back Adam Randall, who scored on a 4-yard run. Bernard was visibly upset with himself after that rep — but it was literally the first time he has ever been allowed to tackle a ball carrier."Yeah, I will learn from it and I should have gotten the tackle,” Bernard said, "but my first game, my first experience. I will work on that and I will get better.”Weru flashed too and even found his way into the scoresheet. Weru finished with a tackle and a QB hit. On his QB hit, Weru was left unblocked but was able to close in on quarterback Joe Fagnano and get a good lick on him."It was nice,” Weru said. "I just wish he had the ball when I hit him. It was nice to even just get through on a few reps.”During an in-game interview, left tackle Jordan Mailata — also a product of the IPP — remembered his first-ever football game. He remembers giving up a sack to the Steelers on one of his first reps in the 2018 preseason. Things have worked out pretty well for Mailata since then.At one point on Saturday, the game broadcast caught second-year DT Ty Robinson laughing as Bernard made his way to the sideline. After the game, Robinson explained that Bernard told him: "Three people had me and I was just screwed.” Robinson laughed because he told Bernard that game action was going to be a little different than practice."In practice, we try to take care of each other,” Robinson said. "Here, it’s war. I think him getting his first game, it’s been awesome to see him develop. He’s just going to become a better player as we go on.”Throughout the summer, defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has made it very clear that Bernard and Weru are far away from being NFL contributors. But both showed promise in their first-ever game reps.It was fun to watch.And it turns out it was a fun experience for them too."Really fun,” Bernard said. "And people back home are proud of me too. And I’m proud of myself.”https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-uar-bernard-joshua-weru-play-in-their-1st-ever-football-game/746984/
August 17Aug 17 For both to have even played this off season says a lot of what the coaches think of them right? For both players to be playing snaps despite never having played football until now is crazy.
Create an account or sign in to comment