Josh Sweat Gets Highest Pass Rushing Grade for Week 1

time2rock

Barnett may be a bit of a disappointment, but it seems our former 4th rd pick has been slowly progressing since being drafted and is taking full advantage of this opportunity.  

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/09/eagles-defense-josh-sweat-darius-slay/

Just thought a positive thread would be a nice change of pace today.  😊

• Like 7

Lets hope so, I always had high hopes for him. Hopefully he's fully recovered from the injury (mentally and physically) that he suffered in college and is getting more confidence by the day.  We can desperately use another pass another.  

• Like 1

Didn't he get 2nd highest? Or am I not reading it right? Doesn't matter really. Just nice to see. Hope it's not a fluke. He definitely has shown flashes in the previous year.

4 hours ago, LesGoEagles said:

Lets hope so, I always had high hopes for him. Hopefully he's fully recovered from the injury (mentally and physically) that he suffered in college and is getting more confidence by the day.  We can desperately use another pass another.  

I don't believe Josh Sweat was ever injured in college, he had a gruesome leg injury in high school which he had to rehab for a long time... Anyway good to see him step up, a break down video of his game vs Washington if some youtuber made it would have been cool.

I like what I saw from sweat for the first 3 quarters of that game but I thought when the fourth quarter came he and the defensive line really were not getting very much push. I think having Barnett back and hargraves is going to help that aspect in keeping guys fresher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

How did Kerrigan not get the highest ranking? Were they grading on a curve?  

Kerrigan broke Washington's all time records on one play...While Graham was injured and walking off to the sideline. That dichotomy kind of summarized the day.

7 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Didn't he get 2nd highest? Or am I not reading it right? Doesn't matter really. Just nice to see. Hope it's not a fluke. He definitely has shown flashes in the previous year.

He was the highest rated pass rusher.  The article later mentioned he was the 2nd highest graded defensive player in the league.  

The third-year edge rusher played on a career-high 49 snaps (70-percent) and recorded the NFL’s best pass-rushing grade, per Pro Football Focus.

He finished the afternoon with a 92.7 pass-rushing grade, tops among all qualified edge rushers in Week 1. He was the second-highest-graded defensive player in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I said in the offseason that I liked Sweat and thought he made the most of his opportunities last year.  I remember at one point looking at his production on a per snap basis and his numbers were nearly identical to Graham. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

He was supposed to be the steal of that draft. Hopefully something comes true. 

We haven't had a steal in a draft, let alone the steal of a draft, since Jason Kelce in 2011.  It's truly been 9 years.

Who has been our personnel guy for about 9 years?  Hmmm

1 hour ago, 20dawk4life said:

He was supposed to be the steal of that draft. Hopefully something comes true. 

fire the entire staff, post haste!

Seems like the entire Skins line should get the highest. Oh this must be from PFF where you get penalized for actually hitting the quarterback. 

I honestly saw his flash for the strip sack and about 2/3 other times. But, I think this rating is all about that strip sack. Because after that 1st qt, the Dline got little push. But, Haskins was getting the ball out quick too.

I think long term Sweat can be a really good DE #3. I like him. I think he's impactful and he makes plays. It's just unfortunate that his snap count has to be managed due to his injuries.