Yesterday at 03:03 PM1 day Glass Half FullPosted October 1st, 2026Monday night’s butt-kicking has most people down on the Eagles. It is absolutely fair to be down on them after such a horrid performance. Still, it feels like some people have gone overboard. I’ve questioned where this season is going and I have concerns with this team, but I also acknowledge that it won’t shock me for them to end up in the Super Bowl. This team still has a lot of potential. Let’s talk about some positives.First, I still think this is one of the best rosters in the NFL. Their level of play so far hasn’t reflected that, but it is only October 1. Go back to Jimmy Bama’s NFC Hierarchy piece from late October. He had Seattle as the #6 team in the conference. Detroit was #1. The Seahawks won the Super bowl, while the Lions missed the playoffs. You don’t want to peak in October.It is frustrating to see such a talented roster playing such sloppy football. Be patient. You never know if a player is dealing with an injury issue (Cooper DeJean?) or if someone is still working through some things or a young player just having youthful issues (Drew Mukuba, Jihaad Campbell). You give players with good track records a long leash to figure things out. Younger guys just need to show progress. The coaches can see some of that in meetings and practices. Viv Fangio told everyone to be patient with Kelee Ringo and those words proved to be wise. Ringo played better as the summer wore on.The OL showed real progress in Chicago. They got good movement in the run game. We hadn’t seen that with any consistency this season. We saw their potential against the Bears. And the more time Cam Jurgens gets at LG and Drew Kendall at C, the better this group can play.I still believe in Jalen Hurts. He struggled in the second half of the Bears game, but we’ve seen far more good than bad so far this season.The defense is wildly erratic right now, but Vic Fangio has a great track record. He’s shown the ability to get the most out of his players with various teams in various decades. I don’t think he suddenly forgot how to coach. Remember that his defenses didn’t really peak until the second half of the last two seasons. It can take time for players to all be on the same page. The defense should also benefit from the offense being able to sustain drives better as they improve. Adding Jonathan Greenard to the mix certainly helps. He flashed at times on MNF.The Eagles are a bit dinged up, but are pretty healthy compared to some teams. The healthier you are, the more success you’re likely to have. Keep your fingers crossed on this one.The Eagles schedule is reasonable. You never want to look too far down the line because things can change so quickly in the NFL, but there isn’t an insane gauntlet that the Eagles have to go through. The Rams and Jags the next two weeks will be challenging. Then there is Seattle, Houston and SF in December. That could be a tough stretch.The NFC East isn’t loaded right now. Dallas has a terrific offense, but their defense remains a work in progress. Trading for CB Joey Porte Jr should help, but it won’t solve all their problems. Jameis Winston has struggled since taking over for Jaxson Dart in NY. Injuries are hurting that team. Washington has played better than anyone expected, but they lack talent and you just can’t trust them.This season can get turned around if Nick Sirianni has the right messaging and can push the right buttons. I believe the biggest problems are intangibles and those can usually be fixed. I’m not ignoring the tangible issues (poor safety play for instnace), but all 32 teams have weak spots. The Eagles can turn things around quickly if Sirianni can get this team to play smarter and tougher.The Eagles don’t have to win on Sunday to give me hope. I need to see them play good football. If the Rams happen to make an extra play or two and win, so be it. I just need to see major improvement from the Birds. That would help me to believe in them going forward.https://igglesblitz.com/2026/10/glass-half-full-2/
Yesterday at 06:13 PM1 day Any time a team is playing inconsistently, the fans and media go on a roller coaster rider ranging from the eagles are terrible to the eagles are putting it all together.But there are quite a few reasons for the struggles.....and the question becomes, can the coaches fix those issues as the year grinds on. 1) The offense has shown flashes, but will Mannion get better with the play calling?2) When will the defensive line play like we've seen them play in the past? Will Greenard make a difference?3) Can the offensive line issues be ironed out or is Johnson done, Steen & Mailata reached their peak and can Jurgens and Kendall improve.....can Dickerson play anywhere near how he played before when he comes back?4) Can Kenny Moore allow Fangio to move Dejean to safety and does that help at all?It's quite possible that all those things happen to some degree......but it's going to take a few more games to see.
11 hours ago11 hr Author We haven't been below 0.500 since week 13 of the 2021 season. That's pretty remarkable. But I think that trend is going to come to an end in the coming weeks. I've been on record all offseason saying to expect a slow start ... that was mostly due to an offense that needed to find it's groove with a new OC installing an entirely different scheme. This team has far more issues than I would have thought ... can't run the ball (likely linked to poor OL play) and can't stop the run are at the top of the list. To me this feels like the same recent trend we've been seeing with the Phils, on a slow downward trajectory over the past few years ('22 lose in WS, '23 lose in NLCS, '24 and '25 lose in NLDS, '26 lose in WC). Hate to think this but it feels like our window is shrinking quickly. Thank goodness we managed to add another trophy while that window was open. Howie has a lot of work to do to get this roster back to championship contender form.So I guess you can say my glass if half empty. 🫤
9 hours ago9 hr I take a lot of flack for being negative. That’s fine that’s peoples opinion. That’s not the way I see it. I think I’m being realistic.There wasn’t a lot of good to say about this team on Monday. The offense looked good in patches first half but the same silly flags kept rearing their ugly heads. The defense was awful and to be honest I don’t think they have really played well overall. I guess a decent first half against the Titans? But pretty sure in their other 2 games they’ve been held to single digits in the entire game.Teams go through cycles and I think this team is headed for the rebuild part. The OL looks either old, beaten down and not good enough. The WR group is going through a rebuild. Saquon is not the same player (still very very good by the way). And there’s question marks about the QB.The defense has talent but… Carter really is mostly potential. Davis hasn’t developed how we hoped but is still solid. Campbell looks lost but has talent absolutely. The safety position looks awful (shock!). The CBs are really good and I do expect Coop to get back on track. But Woolen might just be a one year thing.And then there’s the HC. Who despite the success this team has had has rightly been questioned about what he does. And so that leads to a lot of questions and a lot of things to look at.Do I think this team is bad? No I think it’s middle of the pack with maybe the potential to be good enough in a weak division and if the defense gets anywhere near where we thought. But this team needs a rebuild. It’s overdue.
Create an account or sign in to comment