Am I missing something about Ward?

Portyansky

He is our most consistent WR. I just don't get it. Dude just catches balls. Gets open. What else does he need to do to be the main target for Wentz (aside from Ertz)? Call out Wentz? Act a fool? It really doesn't make sense. What am I missing?

• Like 10

It wasn’t Wentz fault first 2 weeks Doug only gave him 10 snaps a game. Doug is doing anything he can to make JJAW work regardless of the impact it’s having on the success of the team. 

• Like 2

Limited athletically but is where he’s supposed to be, stays healthy, is available, soft hands, and is clutch. Very happy for this kid, a valuable player.

• Like 5

The bigger issue has been that we were playing 70% 12 personnel over the first two weeks. Dallas Goedert got hurt today early in the game. So we were forced to not be in 12 personnel as much. When that happens ward is able to play in the slot more and get more snaps. Now he could play some on the outside but that’s not where he thrives usually. And if you’re running 12 personnel you’re likely going to have desean and reagor on the outside

• Like 2

There's no doubt that Ward should be more of a feature on this team. Ward does what you need your slot to do. He gets separation and he makes himself available for his QB. And then when targeted he makes the catch. He should be a part of this offense for the future without doubt. 

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The bigger issue has been that we were playing 70% 12 personnel over the first two weeks. Dallas Goedert got hurt today early in the game. So we were forced to not be in 12 personnel as much. When that happens ward is able to play in the slot more and get more snaps. Now he could play some on the outside but that’s not where he thrives usually. And if you’re running 12 personnel you’re likely going to have desean and reagor on the outside

I agree with the playing outside comment. They simply need to play have more plays for him. He has been our best WR since starting last year. You don't need big names, you need football players that do their jobs. When Wentz on looks for Ertz and Djax. That's easy to defend.

• Like 1

He's giving strong effort and is producing. He's doing everything asked of him and will only get better over time.

Paired with Reagor and Jackson (when they're healthy of course) is a decent group along with the TEs and RBs. Burnett even made some catches. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

We were in 12 a ton after DG went down.  Doug can't adjust to save his life.  

Based off snap count they were still in 12 personnel way less than they had been over the first two games.  The eagles had 91 total offensive snaps. Ertz has 84, Rodgers 33 and goedert 6. So even if ertz was on the field in 2 tight end for every single snap Rodgers and goedert had that means max 39 of 91 plays which is 43% 12 personnel. That’s still massively less than the 70 percent we have been using up until week 3. 

Don’t get me wrong you are right. Doug can’t adjust to save his life. He also doesnt understand How you best utilize his personnel Until around December every year 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Paired with Reagor and Jackson (when they're healthy of course) is a decent group

DJ seems about finished, dude has put on a lot of weight for him and it's showing on the field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

DJ seems about finished, dude has put on a lot of weight for him and it's showing on the field.

I just mean for this season what they have on the roster, those 3 when healthy is decent.  Jackson will be gone after this year.  He's at least made some catches this year.  JJAW has done absolutely nothing and Jeffrey is only just coming back from injury.

Yesterday the receivers were just Ward, JJAW, Hightower and Burnett.  Having Reagor and Jackson healthy - even pacing Jackson and only using in spots - is better than that.

After this season you evaluate Hightower, Watkins, Burnett and see what changes they make.  Reagor and Ward are the only locks to make the roster next year at this point, the other guys have to prove themselves.  

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I just mean for this season what they have on the roster, Jackson will be gone after this year. 

Right, right again, this should be his last year in Philadelphia, he's done.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I just don't understand... He's injured again? I mean none of us saw that coming!

🙄

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't understand... He's injured again? I mean none of us saw that coming!

🙄

He's out of shape which means his head isn't into the game, haven't you noticed the reduced production?

23 hours ago, Portyansky said:

He is our most consistent WR. I just don't get it. Dude just catches balls. Gets open. What else does he need to do to be the main target for Wentz (aside from Ertz)? Call out Wentz? Act a fool? It really doesn't make sense. What am I missing?

He’s been our most consistent WR since 2019. He’s earned his right to be on the field until he proves otherwise. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They worked Ward into the outside more against the Bengals as well. Maybe they just should have given him a chance on the outside instead of using JJAW and Hightower so much? Who cares if he isn’t overly athletic if he catches the ball? On a side note it just shows once again how bad Howie’s been at drafting if the Eagles best receiver in an undrafted PS player. It’s not like Howie’s ignored the position either. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

They worked Ward into the outside more against the Bengals as well. Maybe they just should have given him a chance on the outside instead of using JJAW and Hightower so much? Who cares if he isn’t overly athletic if he catches the ball? On a side note it just shows once again how bad Howie’s been at drafting if the Eagles best receiver in an undrafted PS player. It’s not like Howie’s ignored the position either. 

They basically had too. Desean was gone. Goedert got hurt. And JJAW was limited. All they had left was ward, Burnett and Hightower. Burnett and ward are both ideally slot guys so they really didn’t have a choice because either Burnett or ward was gonna have to play the outside. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They basically had too. Desean was gone. Goedert got hurt. And JJAW was limited. All they had left was ward, Burnett and Hightower. Burnett and ward are both ideally slot guys so they really didn’t have a choice because either Burnett or ward was gonna have to play the outside. 

Burnett off the PS showed more in one game than JJAW has in three weeks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Should have never been brought back.

4 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yes he did.  Cut JJaw, roll with Ward, Burnett and whatever you get from DeSean until Reagor is back.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Should have never been brought back.

Yes he did.  Cut JJaw, roll with Ward, Burnett and whatever you get from DeSean until Reagor is back.

Cut JJAW and tell him to take Howie with him. 

25 minutes ago, downundermike said:

At this point. I wanna see Hightower and Watkins. Let them gain chemistry with Wentz as the season progresses. He obviously has nothing with JJAW. Hopefully Alshon will be back healthy...

Just now, Portyansky said:

At this point. I wanna see Hightower and Watkins. Let them gain chemistry with Wentz as the season progresses. He obviously has nothing with JJAW. Hopefully Alshon will be back healthy...

A loss to the 49ers this week, you start getting everybody young out there, the wide receivers, Davion Taylor ( which should happen anyway because Gerry has been so bad ) Wallace, all of them

34 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Hey you’re talking to the guy that said it was Fing stupid they went into the year with three rookies, DeSean Jackson, Greg Ward and JJAW. You knew that was going to catch up to them at some point. It was a dumb plan in April and it was a dumb plan two weeks before the season started

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EagleVA said:

He's out of shape which means his head isn't into the game, haven't you noticed the reduced production?

Out of shape? Perhaps but more to the point he's a player who's suffered injuries throughout his career. Going in to this year with him as one of our best receivers was another Howie mistake.