AJ Epenesa (Iowa DE) — drafted by Bills

SBorBust

Epanesa is one of the most interesting players in the first round. He dominated on the football field with a quick get-off and incredible strength/length. However, he tested very poorly at the Scouting Combine.

I would look to trade down into the 25-33 area. If Epanesa is still on the board I would draft him.

The Eagles have a glaring 2021 need at DE.

This is the guy that I LEAST want out of any of the names in the 1st round.  Can we please stop looking at unexplosive, unathletic defensive ends?  This guy is a bigger version of Derek Barnett, except he doesn't have the "ankle bend," and if it's even possible, he's even less athletic.  I don't look at the combine as the end all be all, but for a 4-3 defensive end, it has proven over the years that athleticism and explosiveness matters more than college production.  

4 minutes ago, hputenis said:

This is the guy that I LEAST want out of any of the names in the 1st round.  Can we please stop looking at unexplosive, unathletic defensive ends?  This guy is a bigger version of Derek Barnett, except he doesn't have the "ankle bend," and if it's even possible, he's even less athletic.  I don't look at the combine as the end all be all, but for a 4-3 defensive end, it has proven over the years that athleticism and explosiveness matters more than college production.  

JJ Watt, Joey Bosa, DeForest Buckner, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, and Calais Campbell have been some of the best defensive ends of the last decade. These guys are the opposite of what you said is essential for success. Derek Barnett possibly busting is the outlier, not the rule.

7 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

JJ Watt, Joey Bosa, DeForest Buckner, Chandler Jones, Ryan Kerrigan, and Calais Campbell have been some of the best defensive ends of the last decade. These guys are the opposite of what you said is essential for success. Derek Barnett possibly busting is the outlier, not the rule.

These 4 are actually exactly what I was talking about.  Their explosiveness was tested off the charts.  No clue what you are looking at.  

20 hours ago, hputenis said:

These 4 are actually exactly what I was talking about.  Their explosiveness was tested off the charts.  No clue what you are looking at.  

Comparing Epanesa to a few of those generational, extremely high draft picks was an overreach on my part. I didn’t realize JJ Watt’s numbers (outside of the 40-yard dash), were so other worldly. I just remembered the narrative (from some) at the time. It was much different.

Although, it follows that if you think Epanesa is a bum, then you must think Austin Jackson is a low-round pick, correct? Jackson was completely overmatched by Epanesa in the bowl game. He was overpowered, beaten outside, beaten inside, and was overmatched for most of the game. Austin Jackson is probably going to be drafted in the 20’s.

2 hours ago, SBorBust said:

Comparing Epanesa to a few of those generational, extremely high draft picks was an overreach on my part. I didn’t realize JJ Watt’s numbers (outside of the 40-yard dash), were so other worldly. I just remembered the narrative (from some) at the time. It was much different.

Although, it follows that if you think Epanesa is a bum, then you must think Austin Jackson is a low-round pick, correct? Jackson was completely overmatched by Epanesa in the bowl game. He was overpowered, beaten outside, beaten inside, and was overmatched for most of the game. Austin Jackson is probably going to be drafted in the 20’s.

I don't necessarily think he's a bum.  I just really don't want that pick at #21.  If for some reason he's hanging around in the early 30s, that's where I like his value (I realize that is unlikely).  I haven't looked into Austin Jackson a ton, but I know there are at least 4 better prospects than him in the 1st.