Patrick Jones II (Pittsburgh DE) -- DRAFTED BY MINNESOTA #90

Ray75

24E979CC-8488-4CD8-99D1-12AB98F16D99.jpeg

6-4ft / 260 lbs

The 2021 NFL Draft class lacks the high-end edge rushing prospect that we have been used to seeing in recent years. Gregory Rousseau is considered the top edge rusher in the class by most, but he is far from a perfect player and that top spot could easily be up for grabs. Pittsburgh's Patrick Jones II has made a strong case as the next-best edge-rushing prospect.

At 6-foot-4 260 pounds looks the part as an NFL player. He has some good athleticism to go with his frame. He excels at exploding off the snap and accelerates well to make plays in the backfield.

Jones has good hand technique and gets inside consistently with good strength. He’s a quick and explosive edge rusher who works hard on every single snap. He can win with raw speed around the edge and also shows a quick inside move that leads to a pass-rushing win a majority of the time.

His projection is natural to NFL. Jones will step in as a premier pass rusher in the 2021 class. His mix of size, explosion, and pass rush moves will put him ahead of many guys in this class. 

Simply put, Jones has an exciting natural skill-set and only seems to be getting better as an edge defender. He undoubtedly has tremendous upside at the next level and should be able to come in and make an immediate impact for his NFL team.

Projection; mid/late first round

Think he goes in the first?

Not sure how interested I would be if Barnett, Sweat, and Graham are still here but if we move one DE will definitely be a need!

If he lasts to the 2nd round, I'd like the pick. Really good motor and his flaws are all teachable points. His body has some room to grow. I like him.

• Like 1

I'd take him in the second. I guess if we can trade some assets and then potentially package something up to get back in to the late first? 

I'm not sure he makes it to the second though. As potentially the second best DE in the draft I'm not sure he gets that far... I mean only 1 DE to go in the first? When DE is such an important position. 

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'd take him in the second. I guess if we can trade some assets and then potentially package something up to get back in to the late first? 

I'm not sure he makes it to the second though. As potentially the second best DE in the draft I'm not sure he gets that far... I mean only 1 DE to go in the first? When DE is such an important position. 

Like Jaycee Horn, Johnson is a riser at the moment. It wouldn’t surprise me if both end up top 20-25 selections.

Every year prospects get undervalued in the beginning of the proces. Both Horn and Johnson are prototypical examples. The latter benefits from a relatively poor DE class in which the top dog decided to declare and not play this season.

OBJ for example got a 2nd round grade by most draft experts early in the proces leading up to the draft and we all know how that turned out. Giants took him 12th overall in the 2014 draft...

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Every year prospects get undervalued in the beginning of the proces. Both Horn and Johnson are prototypical examples. The latter benefits from a relatively poor DE class in which the top dog decided to declare and not play this season.

And this is exactly why I think he will (as you say) end up going in the top 25 picks. I just can't see only 1 DE going in the top 25! No chance no way. The position is too highly valued around the league.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:13 AM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Think he goes in the first?

Not sure how interested I would be if Barnett, Sweat, and Graham are still here but if we move one DE will definitely be a need!

In a so so pass rusher class?! Yes, I think he’ll go first round. If you believe Rousseau is the No.1 edge rusher in the class and will therefor be a top 15 pick, Jones might be the No.2 guy coming off the board.

DE is a sneaky underrated need and we both know Eagles LOVE to draft linemen.

In the last 10-12 years this organisation has spend about 70 % of their first round draft capital on either the offensive or defensive line.

BG is 32, Curry about the same age and on a one year deal, I’m not sure if they’re completely sold on Barnett and Sweat is a good rotational DE to have but has one more year left on his rookie deal after the season. 

In all honesty I’d be surprised if they go in another direction in the first. Yes, I definitely like them to (CB) for a change but we also have to be realistic here and take their tendencies into account.

• Like 2