Roster Crunch Coming

erformc

From the reports after practice today it seems that it's a good bet that Reagor, JP, Edwards and Ford are likely to be able to play this week. There are currently 51 roster spots after Djax and Ridgeway were IRd, so that means at least 2 moves will have to be made.  However, it's likely more due to the fact that Malik Jackson might not be able to play and if that's the case, they'll have to sign TY McGill to the 53 since they already promoted him 2 x from the PS. I'm going to assume that happens, so there are 3 roster moves needed

What does everyone think those moves would be?  Here's my thoughts as well (in order of likelihood) as some other considerations that come into play in making the decisions.

1. Craig James to IR - He's just coming back from a thigh injury, now he hurts his hammy.  

2. Cut Tyrone Croom. This leaves them with only 2 TEs (one of whom only played 5 snaps last week), but with Goedert likely back after the bye, they could either take the chance and roll with those 2 or promote Caleb Wilson from the PS for Dallas.

3. Trade Will Parks for a 2021 conditional 7th round pick - With Wallace being healthy and Ford coming back, he's expendable. We don't need 6 safeties on the 53 man.

4. Jack Driscoll to IR - This one is very risky because of how fragile Lane has been all year. However, now that JP is back he could (shudder) play LT if Lane can't go and Mailata would be the RT. If either one went down they'd put Pryor or Toth in as a stopgap.

5. Alshon to IR - Let's get 2 things out of the way. 1.  Keeping him on the 53 instead of PUP was roster malpractice. But that's a sunk cost at this point. 2. No one is trading for him. No one.  Even if he was 100% healthy.  Since it's a new injury they could put him there. However, with DJax hurt the WR corps is very young, and with the likelihood of making the playoffs they may not want to shut him down for another 3 weeks then try a second restart later.

6. Cut Corey Clement - Yes, it's a risk with Sanders hurt and likely not playing against DAL, but he's not done a damned thing all year and is shell of the 2017 version. Yes, he's a core-4 STer, but he can be replaced there. Let Huntley be the 3rd RB or promote Killins or Holyfield for DAL. Only danger is that among the healthy RBs, he's the best pass blocker. Yes, that's like saying he's the skinniest kid at fat camp, but it is what it is.

7. Cut Sua Opeta - He did poorly in his first ever start, but the Eagles liked him enough to promote him to the 53 man last year when Miami tried to poach him off the PS.  Given what Stoutland has done with Mailata, I'd keep the kid around for another year and let him get more coaching.

8. Genard Avery to IR - He got hurt in today's practice so maybe they could stash him there. But for one game, he's shown nothing. Only risk is if Curry can't go.  Even if that's happens, they could promote either Miller or Ostman.

9. Cut Quez Watkins - This would be a huge risk and with our luck the Cowboys would take him and he'd go for 8-170 against us.

10. Nathan Gerry to IR - We could only wish.

11. Cut Strap - They've done it before, but with NRC playing like crap and James and Maddox banged up could they afford to do it.

1 hour ago, erformc said:

5. Alshon to IR - Let's get 2 things out of the way. 1.  Keeping him on the 53 instead of PUP was roster malpractice. But that's a sunk cost at this point. 2. No one is trading for him. No one.  Even if he was 100% healthy.  Since it's a new injury they could put him there. However, with DJax hurt the WR corps is very young, and with the likelihood of making the playoffs they may not want to shut him down for another 3 weeks then try a second restart later.

Jeffery is under contract and at the beginning of the year was hands down the best X we had on the team. It made sense to get him back ASAP. JJAW, who was drafted to replace him, hasn't done anything to convince Wentz to throw his way. So all we could do was hope that changed. That didn't happen, but we did discover Fulgham, who now makes Jeffery expendable. Obviously the team is trying to move him before the deadline now. I'm not really sure what's up with his calf. That gives us a ticket to IR him for roster space if he isn't dealt. If something should happen to Fulgham that ends his season, we'd be able to bring Jeffery back (after 3 weeks on IR). 

There may still be a team willing to trade for Jeffery, but we're not "getting anything" for him. We'll likely have to offer something  so another team takes the contract --- probably a draft pick swap where we include a pick with Jeffery and get a later pick in return. Jeffery can play when healthy. He's just overpriced. 

1- Possible

2- Butler would be the cut/move to PS player over Croom at the TE position. 

3- I personally Like Parks and would like to see him on the field more with Wallace. Rodney could be a future cap cut and Mills could be used as a outside CB since they released our only 2 other then Slay.

4- Possible 

5- I projected this all offseason. I never expected Alshon to suit up and take a real snap in Eagles green ever again. I don;t see it happening till a few days after the trade deadline is over though. 

6- Unless they add another RB, I dont see Clement gone. Eagles under Doug always have had 4 RBs on the 53

7- With all the health issues at Oline, I dont see it. Yes Lane and JP are coming back BUT JP have a rep for going out just about every game. And lane has barely been able to take a drive without coming out. 

8- Possible

9- Dont see it happening. We still have a ton of long term question marks at WR. I think they want to keep as many options as they can to look at. If they let Watkins go, Hes on a new team which I dont think they take that risk. 

10- Just happened

On 10/29/2020 at 4:54 PM, erformc said:

1. Craig James to IR - He's just coming back from a thigh injury, now he hurts his hammy. 

They need corners and he is their best ST player. With the bye coming up, they will give him every chance to get healthy.

2. Cut Jason Croom. This leaves them with only 2 TEs (one of whom only played 5 snaps last week), but with Goedert likely back after the bye, they could either take the chance and roll with those 2 or promote Caleb Wilson from the PS for Dallas.

I think this will happen once Goedert is activated, but I think it's 50/50 with Butler. I do agree one of them goes.

3. Trade Will Parks for a 2021 conditional 7th round pick - With Wallace being healthy and Ford coming back, he's expendable. We don't need 6 safeties on the 53 man.

Agree. Someone will probably snatch him up. I am not sure why he dropped down the depth chart, but he has. I think it's Epps who has leaped ahead of him though, as Ford is just a ST guy. On a related note, Ford takes Butler's place as the gunner on punts, so there's another reason Butler may get cut.

4. Jack Driscoll to IR - This one is very risky because of how fragile Lane has been all year. However, now that JP is back he could (shudder) play LT if Lane can't go and Mailata would be the RT. If either one went down they'd put Pryor or Toth in as a stopgap.

I don't think this happens.

I don't think this happens. A lot of writers have speculated about it, but I think he plays if he is healthy, even in a limited role. And at this point the team may as well try to get him out there.

6. Cut Corey Clement - Yes, it's a risk with Sanders hurt and likely not playing against DAL, but he's not done a damned thing all year and is shell of the 2017 version. Yes, he's a core-4 STer, but he can be replaced there. Let Huntley be the 3rd RB or promote Killins or Holyfield for DAL. Only danger is that among the healthy RBs, he's the best pass blocker. Yes, that's like saying he's the skinniest kid at fat camp, but it is what it is.

I agree.

7. Cut Sua Opeta - He did poorly in his first ever start, but the Eagles liked him enough to promote him to the 53 man last year when Miami tried to poach him off the PS.  Given what Stoutland has done with Mailata, I'd keep the kid around for another year and let him get more coaching.

I thought Opeta played better than people are giving him credit for in his first start against quality dlinemen. I wouldn't give up on him. 

8. Genard Avery to IR - He got hurt in today's practice so maybe they could stash him there. But for one game, he's shown nothing. Only risk is if Curry can't go.  Even if that's happens, they could promote either Miller or Ostman.

This happened.

9. Cut Quez Watkins - This would be a huge risk and with our luck the Cowboys would take him and he'd go for 8-170 against us.

Not going to happen.

10. Nathan Gerry to IR - We could only wish.

Wishes come true sometimes.

11. Cut Strap - They've done it before, but with NRC playing like crap and James and Maddox banged up could they afford to do it.

I doubt this happens. 

On 10/30/2020 at 8:16 PM, PoconoDon said:

The Dolphins could use Jeffrey.

Jeffrey Epstein would be as useful to the Dolphins as Alshon Jeffrey.

• Haha 1