Doug Pederson feels good about his performance as the Eagles play-caller

Road to Victory

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/17/philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-play-caller-struggles-offensive-coordinator/

Doug Pederson feels good about his performance as the Eagles play-caller

Glenn Erby 

November 17, 2020 9:30 am

The Eagles have looked out of sorts at times on offense and head coach Doug Pederson has come under fire for his lack of creativity and innovation with the Philadelphia offense.

On Monday, Pederson defended his performance as the Eagles primary play-caller telling the media during his zoom meeting that he "feels good about the rhythm” he’s been in on offense.

"I feel good about the plays that have been called. I even looked at the game [Sunday] and felt I was in rhythm,” Pederson said. "I’ve always looked at the game through the eyes of the quarterback, and how he views it, and how he sees it. I think it’s important that quarterback and play-caller are on the same page that way and Carson [Wentz] and I had those conversations during the week and the day before the game, and [went] through a lot of different scenarios.”

"And look, not every game is going to be perfect. There’s going to be mistakes made, and there’s going to be things that we’re going to have to overcome, and that’s part of our jobs. Nobody’s perfect. By no means am I perfect? I’m going to make a decision error, I’m going to make a play-calling error, but at the same time, hopefully, I can do my job to put the offense in position to be successful.”

Pederson said he was mostly frustrated with how his team came out of the bye, and his decision to not give up play-calling duties could stem from the struggles of Carson Wentz and his inability at times to hit on open throws.

The Eagles earned first downs on nine of 10 possessions, only had one three-and-out, but managed to turn that into just two touchdowns and a field goal. Pederson didn’t all of a sudden forget how to call plays and it appears that the Eagles will work through their struggles together as one.

"I feel good about the plays that have been called. I even looked at the game [Sunday] and felt I was in rhythm,” Pederson said.

That statement alone is the reason he needs to go. The same thing every game, every year he was the the main OC role. He will never change when he feels he is doing it right. Until Doug is gone as the OC or even HC we will keep declining. 

• Like 1

Completely delusional.  Not sure if it is ignorance or arrogance.  Either way, not a good trait for the person who is trying to right the ship to have.  

• Like 1

Well, if Wentz was playing better, then Pedersen's play calls wouldn't seem as bad as they have been.  But if you watch the rams offense for 1 quarter, you'll see a dynamic offense with movement and creativity.  Now, that doesn't always produce, but it does create more confusion for a defense.  

Wentz is so screwed up in the head right now that I doubt if any creative playcalling would be effective.  This team will go as Wentz goes and right now, he shows no signs of coming out of this slump.  Wentz is playing scared, playing more "not to make a mistake" than to be aggressive and in command.  

6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Well, if Wentz was playing better, then Pedersen's play calls wouldn't seem as bad as they have been.  But if you watch the rams offense for 1 quarter, you'll see a dynamic offense with movement and creativity.  Now, that doesn't always produce, but it does create more confusion for a defense.  

Wentz is so screwed up in the head right now that I doubt if any creative playcalling would be effective.  This team will go as Wentz goes and right now, he shows no signs of coming out of this slump.  Wentz is playing scared, playing more "not to make a mistake" than to be aggressive and in command.  

I have to totally disagree on Wentz. He’s not playing scared, he’s playing desperate. He wants so badly to make a big play and he’s forcing everything. How many times has he forced a ball into double coverage or throw the ball up for grabs? He needs to play a little more scared. A scared QB throws the ball out of bounds, throws to his check down and makes safe passes. That’s not Wentz at all. He’s forcing everything and trying to make a big play on every down. He needs to learn to take what the defense gives him. If they give him a 5 yard check down, take it rather than forcing the ball 20 yards downfield for a really tough pass and catch. 

On 11/18/2020 at 1:37 AM, Road to Victory said:

I’ve always looked at the game through the eyes of the quarterback, and how he views it, and how he sees it. I think it’s important that quarterback and play-caller are on the same page that way and Carson [Wentz] and I had those conversations during the week and the day before the game, and [went] through a lot of different scenarios

So couple of things...

Is he throwing Wentz under the bus a little here? Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there. 

And also, if he's looking at the game through the eyes of the quarterback then I think it may help if he opens his eyes. 

Sunday was about as bad and inept as this offense has looked all year and that's a big statement. The Cowboys game was bad but this was worse I think. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So couple of things...

Is he throwing Wentz under the bus a little here? Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there. 

And also, if he's looking at the game through the eyes of the quarterback then I think it may help if he opens his eyes. 

Sunday was about as bad and inept as this offense has looked all year and that's a big statement. The Cowboys game was bad but this was worse I think. 

He also subtly implicated his coaches aren’t doing a good enough job (read the piece quoted in the "angry Doug” thread).  I think he is starting to feel the pressure a HC will feel when everything they are trying keep failing and he is running out of ideas to get things back on track.  When the players and coaches start hearing Doug throw them under the bus, soon after his voice won’t be heard anymore.  

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

He also subtly implicated his coaches aren’t doing a good enough job (read the piece quoted in the "angry Doug” thread).  I think he is starting to feel the pressure a HC will feel when everything they are trying keep failing and he is running out of ideas to get things back on track.  When the players and coaches start hearing Doug throw them under the bus, soon after his voice won’t be heard anymore.  

The thing is... His mood is all over the place right now. One interview he's really mad, the next he's defensive and thinks everything is OK. I think that's a sign that he's starting to feel the pressure and unravel. To me it's the beginning of the end for Doug here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

18 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The thing is... His mood is all over the place right now. One interview he's really mad, the next he's defensive and thinks everything is OK. I think that's a sign that he's starting to feel the pressure and unravel. To me it's the beginning of the end for Doug here.

A908B106-EE2E-4CCE-B229-1DDE11A3A6D3.jpeg

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

most definitely 

he could really help himself, and his team, if he would be willing to go out and get better coordinators (offense and defense), and stop trying to be Mr. Everything, with the offense especially. this may take him falling flat on his face in order to realize what is obvious to to most. 

3 hours ago, NCTANK said:

most definitely 

he could really help himself, and his team, if he would be willing to go out and get better coordinators (offense and defense), and stop trying to be Mr. Everything, with the offense especially. this may take him falling flat on his face in order to realize what is obvious to to most. 

I mean absolutely yeah. I don't think it's any coincidence that this team has no OC and the offense is a mess. That last year and the year before we had a bad OC and the offense was bad. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 10:31 AM, NCTANK said:

most definitely 

Agreed 100%.  Doug needs to focus his attention on the bigger picture in running the entire team.  He simply is not doing a good job trying to do that AND running the offense.  The offense has stunk for the most part since 2017 when Reich left who had a much bigger role in coordinating the offense (that was long before any blame could be placed on Wentz’s recent consistently poor play regardless of some spotty poor play over the past few years).  

• Like 1

I know the answer to this test question!!

Doug is to play calling as Howie is to _______________

Spoiler

drafting prospects.

It's what they love most, want to do most, and will never voluntarily give up, even though it's what they are worst at.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I know the answer to this test question!!

Doug is to play calling as Howie is to _______________

Reveal hidden contents

drafting prospects.

It's what they love most, want to do most, and will never voluntarily give up, even though it's what they are worst at.

Ding ding bingo bingo. That's the one bud. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 1:30 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

God I hope so