Eagles' Lane Johnson's Injury Season-Ending; 'Inside of My Ankle Has Collapsed'

Road to Victory

Eagles' Lane Johnson's Injury Season-Ending; 'Inside of My Ankle Has Collapsed'

TIM DANIELS

Philadelphia Eagles offensive tackle Lane Johnson said Friday he'll undergo season-ending surgery because of an ankle injury.

"The inside of my ankle has collapsed," Johnson told reporters.

Johnson came into the campaign carrying an ankle injury. He was frequently listed on the weekly injury report but ended up playing in seven of the Eagles' first 10 games. He also suffered an MCL sprain in Week 7.

However, the 30-year-old University of Oklahoma product no longer being able to play through the pain is a major loss to the Philadelphia offensive line.

Johnson started 99 games across eight years since the Eagles selected him with the fourth overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft. He'd received a modest 71.2 overall grade from Pro Football Focus this season while trying to compete through the injuries.

His season-ending injury presents yet another problem for the team's offensive line, which was already facing changes.

John Clark of NBC Sports Philadelphia reported Friday the team will shift Jordan Mailata to left tackle with Jason Peters moving to right guard. Matt Pryor could move from right guard out to tackle to replace Johnson. Jack Driscoll and Brett Toth are the team's reserve options at the position.

The Eagles' offensive line alterations come ahead of a tough six-game stretch to finish the regular season, which kicks off Monday night against the Seattle Seahawks.

Philadelphia currently sits second in the NFC East with a 3-6-1 record, a half-game behind the Washington Football Team (4-7) for the division lead.

I hope he comes back 100% next year. 

This is the risk of playing with an injury, that it gets much worse.

If only they had solid backups ready to roll, they wouldn't have to shuffle so much every week. 

Shame Howie sucks at drafting college talent. Oh well, it's 2020.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

This is the risk of playing with an injury, that it gets much worse.

This whole situation just feels like it's been mismanaged. The late surgery during the off season when it was an injury sustained last year. Coming back and playing when clearly he was far from healthy. I pray he comes back next year 100% but is his body breaking down?

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This whole situation just feels like it's been mismanaged. The late surgery during the off season when it was an injury sustained last year. Coming back and playing when clearly he was far from healthy. I pray he comes back next year 100% but is his body breaking down?

Nobody knows. We'll have to wait on that prognosis.

2 hours ago, eagle45 said:

There is enough information to say yes.

He may still be able to rehab back to good health. That's the part we don't know about. If his ankle can't come back, he's done forever.

8 hours ago, eagle45 said:

There is enough information to say yes.

I wouldn't go that far yet. There isn't enough information to say that his body is breaking down and will continue to do so from here on. 

He's on the wrong side of 30, as they say. He's been a great Eagle and we might get a few more good years out of him. But this is now another position we've got to hope they can find some youth to fill. 

• Like 1