Former Eagles receiver hints that Duce Staley should be calling plays

Road to Victory

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/torrey-smith-hints-duce-staley-should-start-calling-plays-eagles

Former Eagles receiver hints that Duce Staley should be calling plays
Shamus Clancy

In the heated aftermath of a Monday Night Football loss that dropped the Eagles to 3-7-1, blame is being pointed in every direction. In speaking with reporters today, head coach Doug Pederson said that he takes pride in his play-calling abilities, but a change could be on the horizon:

While Eagles fans have been clamoring for that type of change, one former Eagles receiver chimed in. Super Bowl LII champion Torrey Smith hinted at who he thinks could be the person to take over for Doug in that regard:

I've thought that a change for Pederson has long made sense. In 2015, the Chiefs started 1-5. Head coach Andy Reid handed over second half play-calling duties to his then-offensive coordinator in Pederson to change things up. The Chiefs responded by remarkably running the table and winning their last 10 games, plus a playoff game.

The Eagles have become notorious for slow starts during the Pederson era, but the coach has made his name on in-game adjustments. A situation where Staley, who's been the assistant head coach since 2018, calls plays for the first halves of games going forward while Pederson continues on with the second halves is a worthwhile opportunity to explore.

Hey, if it not for these types of changes from coaches knowing a shift is needed, Pederson may have never ended up in Philly to begin with.

Maybe he should. At this point I think they should try someone else. Try Duce, try Marty, try Scango. I don't think it'll make a whole lot of difference though as you can't do much with this QB right now. But maybe they'll run the ball more which will give us a greater balance. 

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Maybe he should. At this point I think they should try someone else. Try Duce, try Marty, try Scango. I don't think it'll make a whole lot of difference though as you can't do much with this QB right now. But maybe they'll run the ball more which will give us a greater balance. 

Just no to Marty - we'd see the same pass happy crap we are seeing now.  

If there were a change to someone else already on staff to take over play calling duties, my vote would be for Duce too.  But what we really need is a complete change in offensive philosophy and someone better at play design (to scheme receivers open, etc.) and game planning to lead this offense ... not just a change in play calling.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

If there were a change to someone else already on staff to take over play calling duties, my vote would be for Duce too.  But what we really need is a complete change in offensive philosophy and someone better at play design (to scheme receivers open, etc.) and game planning to lead this offense ... not just a change in play calling.  

I don't disagree in that I think we need a fresh look at this scheme. I know they brought in some fresh minds but I'm not sure Doug is listening to them. If he is then I don't know why this scheme looks so stale. That said no scheme is going to work with this QB right now.