NFL Week 14 picks: Will rookie QB Jalen Hurts turn around the Eagles?

Road to Victory

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-week-14-picks-will-rookie-qb-jalen-hurts-turn-around-the-eagles-150504382.html

NFL Week 14 picks: Will rookie QB Jalen Hurts turn around the Eagles?

Frank Schwab
Frank Schwab
Wed, December 9, 2020, 10:05 AM EST·6 min read

Many Philadelphia Eagles fans had been clamoring for a quarterback switch. They had seen enough of Carson Wentz’s struggles and wanted a change to rookie Jalen Hurts.

They got their wish. Now we get to see if it makes any difference.

Doug Pederson has benched Wentz for Hurts, the second-round rookie who starred at Alabama and Oklahoma in college. He had only appeared in a few plays here or there until last Sunday, when Wentz finally got benched and Hurts got most of the second half against the Green Bay Packers. Hurts wasn’t great but did make some plays. And, he wasn’t Wentz, who has been turning the ball over and taking sacks at a frustrating rate.

Hurts did what you’d expect him to do. He made some plays with his legs, rushing for 29 yards on five attempts. He threw a nice fourth-down touchdown pass. He completed only 5-of-12 passes but had 109 yards. His lone interception came at the end when the game was lost.

Hurts’ first career start is not an easy one. He gets the New Orleans Saints, who are 7-point favorites. The Saints have played much better on defense the past few weeks and have won nine in a row. They haven’t allowed more than 271 passing yards in a game this season.

To think Hurts can fix all that has gone wrong for the Eagles is probably asking too much. He can perhaps give some new energy to the offense but he’s going to make mistakes too, and he’s still playing with the same supporting cast and coaching staff that wasn’t very good when Wentz was starting. The Saints are a very good team and I’ll pick them to cover the 7-point spread.

Maybe Hurts plays well and keeps the job the rest of the season, but the Eagles haven’t done anything as a team to earn any trust, especially against a good Saints team.

No, even if coaches play to his strengths.  Teams will crowd the line of scrimmage to force him to pass. Don’t see Oline changing it’s stripes just because we changed QBs.  If his ability to scramble buys time, I don’t think it will matter.

The 4th sentence says it all ... now we get to see if it (changing from Wentz to Hurts at QB) makes any difference.  This is an opportunity to see just how much of the recent struggles on offense are related solely to Wentz’s struggles.  I don’t think any of us are thinking Hurts can fix all of our offensive struggles ... we’re just hoping to see improvement (because let’s be honest, we haven’t see any improvement with Wentz leading us, unfortunately).  

Poor Hurts. Doug and Co dragged their feet for so long that he first start comes against NO instead of a team like NY or Dallas or hell even Seattle with their defense. 

I am now excited for this game though as it is something different to watch. This offense has been turgid all year and it's been so dull watching the same things every single week. Now we get to see an exciting young QB and let's see what he has. 

I don't expect much but I'm hoping for better than what Wentz has been producing. 

I doubt he makes a difference.

I hope Dallas and the Bolts win while the Saints are beating up the Eagles. Gets the Eagles to #4 overall.

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Poor Hurts. Doug and Co dragged their feet for so long that he first start comes against NO instead of a team like NY or Dallas or hell even Seattle with their defense. 

I am now excited for this game though as it is something different to watch. This offense has been turgid all year and it's been so dull watching the same things every single week. Now we get to see an exciting young QB and let's see what he has. 

I don't expect much but I'm hoping for better than what Wentz has been producing. 

Good point but New Orleans owns Wentz. They just blitz the crap of him and he and DP have no idea what to do. At least Hurts can run for life which is what he’ll be doing.

6 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I hope Dallas and the Bolts win while the Saints are beating up the Eagles. Gets the Eagles to #4 overall.

As long as Howie is here it doesn’t matter if we’re picking 4, 6, 8 whatever, he’ll F up the pick. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

4th would be a really good spot.  Have to figure 2 of the picks before us will be Lawrence and Fields.  That basically gives us the choice between Chase, Surtain II, Sewell, Parsons (yeah right!), and Farley (minus 1 of them).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

4th would be a really good spot.  Have to figure 2 of the picks before us will be Lawrence and Fields.  That basically gives us the choice between Chase, Surtain II, Sewell, Parsons (yeah right!), and Farley (minus 1 of them).  

Yeah, you have to figure if the Bengals are picking 3rd they’ll probably go Sewell, which is fine since we just drafted Dillard in the 1st. Then it will come down to Chase or one the CB’s or Howie tries to get cute and trades down to someone who wants a QB. That’s probably what would happen. We need stars here, not mediocre players. When you keep drafting mediocre and safe you end up with a mediocre team. 

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Yeah, you have to figure if the Bengals are picking 3rd they’ll probably go Sewell, which is fine since we just drafted Dillard in the 1st. Then it will come down to Chase or one the CB’s or Howie tries to get cute and trades down to someone who wants a QB. That’s probably what would happen. We need stars here, not mediocre players. When you keep drafting mediocre and safe you end up with a mediocre team. 

Please dear God I hope Howie is not still in charge. I mean all I want for Christmas is that guy the hell out of here.

• Like 1