Jordan Mailata continues to force himself into Eagles starting LT conversation

Road to Victory

https://phillysportsnetwork.com/2020/12/17/jordan-mailata-eagles/

JORDAN MAILATA CONTINUES TO FORCE HIMSELF INTO EAGLES STARTING LT CONVERSATION

Posted on December 17, 2020 by Liam Jenkins

A little over six months ago, life was relatively simple along the Eagles’ offensive line. Andre Dillard was poised to finally take over from Jason Peters and former seventh-round pick Jordan Mailata was being groomed as a backup. Then the summer happened. 

Dillard suffered a season-ending bicep injury during camp having spent most of it likely looking over his shoulder and wondering whether the recently re-signed Jason Peters was brought in as an insurance policy.

The Washington State product’s rookie season was a topsy-turvy affair. From strong outings against Chicago and Buffalo to some weaker games down the line, Dillard was then thrown to the wolves at RT, a position he had never played before, against the Seahawks. It didn’t take long for the Eagles to pull him out. 

According to PFF, Dillard blew 7.8% of his assignments as a rookie, the worst record of tackles who had played in 300+ snaps. He also allowed a whopping pressure-rate of 14.7%. 

This season was supposed to be huge for Dillard, but instead it’s one he’s spent watching from the sidelines as Jordan Mailata shocks the world. 

The former Rugby standout had endured a torrid Training Camp, leading many to believe the experiment may be nearing an end. But when Jason Peters went down with injury, Mailata not only stepped up, but showed out. 

The 23-year-old has easily become one of the team’s brightest players in a season filled with darkness and doubt. Giving up just 3 sacks in 585 snaps, Mailata has gone up against some intimidating competition in the way of Baltimore and Pittsburgh but has continued to develop and show signs of fundamental improvement, while is freakish 6’8, 346 lbs, frame continues to be problematic for just about every opponent. 

Mailata has played so well in fact, that many are calling for him to become the team’s long-term starter, having earned the role through consistently strong play. Head Coach Doug Pederson was asked about the important offseason decision on Wednesday.

"I don’t know. We haven’t really fully seen [T] Andre Dillard either at that spot so it’s hard to sit here today and say that. He’s helping himself, I would say that. Jordan has played well enough to maybe compete at that spot, but I think it’s a little unfair to sit here and say he’s a full-time starter moving forward without seeing enough of Andre who obviously we drafted to take that spot.”

It’s a tricky road to navigate and Pederson is right – the team did invest a first-round pick in Dillard with the expectation that he would be able to take over the starting left tackle spot. But the Eagles have been stung before when it comes to making decisions based on previous investment and not what’s best for the team. Jason Peters and Alshon Jeffery are just two in a long line of examples of this and Dillard could well be the next. 

We’ve already seen an example of it with Mailata, who was benched in favor of the aging and declining Jason Peters. That decision lasted three quarters before Pederson saw sense.

Mailata stepped right back in and looked like he never left. He was a huge part of the offensive line that for the first time this year, held a defense to 0 sacks. That defense also just so happened to feature the rampant New Orleans pass rush. Whether it complicates things or not, Mailata’s growth is off the charts and is showing no signs of slowing down and he absolutely deserves a shot at the long-term role.

There’s a strong chance that Mailata finishes the season on a high, just as he’s started and maintained so far. If that happens, we’re either destined for a very interesting Training Camp battle next Summer, which Pederson appears to have hinted at already, or a decision based on previous investment. Whichever way the dice lands, the Eagles have to make sure that their starting left tackle is the best player for the position, not the one who will save face in front office meetings.

• Like 2

I definitely think it should be an open competition for the LT spot next year.  In no way do I think it should be automatically handed to Dillard just because he was a 1st rd pick.  

• Like 4

Another conversation the coaches should have is who's going to play RT. Lane is getting injured so much now, it's time to think about that. 

• Like 3

The Eagles seem to place more emphasis on draft position and seniority than what seems healthy. I didn't know NFL player positions were subject to Union seniority rules.

4 hours ago, wyote said:

Another conversation the coaches should have is who's going to play RT. Lane is getting injured so much now, it's time to think about that. 

They really should have just shut him down earlier in the season when he was having issues with the surgically-repaired ankle and had to sit out a few games.  That would have allowed more time to fully heal to be ready for 2021 and also avoid potentially making the injury worse by trying to tough through it which would obviously set him back and possibly jeopardize his availability for next season.  

Anyway, no reason to think (yet) that he won't be lining up at RT if he is indeed fully healthy to start 2021.  How long he can stay there is another question.  Good thing they invested a pick on Driscoll who got some valuable playing experience which will only help him for a larger role should he be needed next year.  They also have Driscoll's Auburn teammate Prince Tega Wanogho who I believe played LT in college but can only guess he will be cross-trained to play both OT spots ... kinda filling the Big V role.  

Whichever way the dice lands, the Eagles have to make sure that their starting left tackle is the best player for the position, not the one who will save face in front office meetings.

This means you, Howie. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wyote said:

Mailata has been mostly trained for LT,  but he sure seems like a guy you would rather have at RT.

Do we need the shouty capitals thread title?

Mailata has played well but I don't think we should get carried away. He's certainly exceeded expectations but that doesn't mean he's been elite. He's shown promise and he should enter camp ready to fight for the LT spot against Dillard.

I'd rather Wentz see Dillard get beat then have it blind side

The eagles have 3 young tackles in Dillard, Mailata and Driscoll that show a lot of potential.......and PTW on the practice squad.  Prior, Herbig, Juriga, Opeta and Toth are all very young and developing O-lineman......they have a very good O-line coach In Stoutland and they will, no doubt, spend a draft pick or two on a center or guard.

Johnson and Brooks are 30 and 31 and have a few good years left.

The O-line took a beating this year, but the eagles have on of the best avg rush yards per play in the NFL.....they just don't run enough.....and I would say 35-40% of the sacks were Wentz's fault.

No team could lose 2 LTs, 2 RTs, 2 starting guards and not have some struggles.  But the offensive line looked better with Hurts last week because he made quicker decisions and they opened holes for Sanders.

The eagles will have a good LT competition next year and it's a good problem to have.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do we need the shouty capitals thread title?

Mailata has played well but I don't think we should get carried away. He's certainly exceeded expectations but that doesn't mean he's been elite. He's shown promise and he should enter camp ready to fight for the LT spot against Dillard.

Sorry, that’s the way the article came over when I cut and pasted it. 

6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

The eagles have 3 young tackles in Dillard, Mailata and Driscoll that show a lot of potential.......and PTW on the practice squad.  Prior, Herbig, Juriga, Opeta and Toth are all very young and developing O-lineman......they have a very good O-line coach In Stoutland and they will, no doubt, spend a draft pick or two on a center or guard.

Johnson and Brooks are 30 and 31 and have a few good years left.

The O-line took a beating this year, but the eagles have on of the best avg rush yards per play in the NFL.....they just don't run enough.....and I would say 35-40% of the sacks were Wentz's fault.

No team could lose 2 LTs, 2 RTs, 2 starting guards and not have some struggles.  But the offensive line looked better with Hurts last week because he made quicker decisions and they opened holes for Sanders.

The eagles will have a good LT competition next year and it's a good problem to have.

Don't know why everyone overlooks Seumalo so much.  He's a plus starter in his prime.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 2:42 PM, dawkins4prez said:

Don't know why everyone overlooks Seumalo so much.  He's a plus starter in his prime.

I’m not wild about Seumalo, I think he’s an average interior lineman who is at his peak, but I defer to more knowledgeable observers of his play. 

Mailata should be the starter going into training camp. Dillard should have to clearly outplay him to take the spot.

Meanwhile, Matt Pryor has been a disaster. He allowed four sacks in the Arizona game alone.

Dillard being thrown into the right tackle position having zero experience there should not be held against him. One guy to start at LT, one guy being competent at both positions but favoring RT given Lane's injury struggles of late.

11 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Dillard being thrown into the right tackle position having zero experience there should not be held against him. One guy to start at LT, one guy being competent at both positions but favoring RT given Lane's injury struggles of late.

You're right it shouldn't be. But Mailata has played RT so long term could he move over and Dillard comes in at LT? If Dillard proves to be the better man at LT that is... Which is a big If at the moment. 

For now have to assume Johnson will return in 2021 healthy and hopefully he can lock down the RT spot for the next few years.  If he continues to miss substantial time every year then obviously the plan will have to shift gears.  From the small sample size we saw this year it looks like Driscoll should be a competent backup at RT.  At LT we have Mailata and Dillard to compete and likely Wanogho in the mix too.  I'd say we are likely pretty good at OT for the time being.  

On 12/24/2020 at 10:32 PM, eggs said:

I’m not wild about Seumalo, I think he’s an average interior lineman who is at his peak, but I defer to more knowledgeable observers of his play. 

How the hell do you know he's "at his peak"?  LMAO

• Like 1