Jaelan Phillips (Miami DE) -- DRAFTED BY MIAMI #18

philafan4o8

Just committed today after his first year at Miami. Very interesting story. #1 player out of HS that committed to UCLA. Ended up dropping out of UCLA and I believe had a year off. Goes to Miami and is now their lead sack master.

Has all of the tools to be great in this league. Not a huge body of work but has the best upset of any DL in this class IMO. 

Very hard to determine his draft stock. Can be anywhere from top 10 pick to 2nd rounder. Interested to see where he goes and would love to have him in an Eagles uniform.

Eagles need a Homerun in the first round. Phillips is too much of a toss up to draft in top 15 IMO. But we will see where the Eagles land in the draft

Small sample size and has an injury history. Can’t see teams gambling on him with a top 20 pick. Late first, early second...maybe...I guess...

10 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Small sample size and has an injury history. Can’t see teams gambling on him with a top 20 pick. Late first, early second...maybe...I guess...

Sounds like a "Howie special".  

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Not going to beat a dead horse with this one but I think Phillips is going to be special. Another candidate at #20 or 21 in my book 

• 1 month later...

Miami pro day today. Curious to see how he test and who the eagles send out to the pro day. I would not be surprised if Howie goes DL in the 1st

4.46 on his first 40 ATTEMPT!!!!

DE Jaelan Phillips

HT 6054

WT 260

Hand 9 3/4

Arm 33 1/4

Wing 80 3/4

TOLD YALL HE IS ATHLETIC FREAK. Will be a monster

13 hours ago, AzBirdGang said:

I think he will end up going top 20. I could see us taking him at 12. 

I can too. Wouldn’t be my first choice but I wouldn’t be mad either. He has the most potential out of any defensive player in this draft imo. He is a raw Talent and Tracy Rocker will get him right technically speaking

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:21 AM, philafan4o8 said:

Miami pro day today. Curious to see how he test and who the eagles send out to the pro day. I would not be surprised if Howie goes DL in the 1st

I like Kwitty Paye a little more than phillips and I think Paye will be gone by 12 and phillips could be the pick.

50 minutes ago, Utebird said:

I like Kwitty Paye a little more than phillips and I think Paye will be gone by 12 and phillips could be the pick.

Only reason why I like Phillips a little bit more is because i believe he is more versatile with a high potential. High Risk/High Reward with Phillips. Paye is definitely the safer of the two picks.

• Like 1

I have just been brushing up on him, the concussions are a concern, but I would not hate a pick like Phillips in the second. This is a pretty weak DE class with a lot of unknowns, when that is the case I would target a high upside athletic freak. We need that type of Danielle Hunter type of athlete to complement Barnett. Phillips fits the bill nicely, and he has the production and pro-day numbers to back it up. Sacks and getting pressure typically translates to the NFL for guys who are willing to perpetually refine their pass rush toolbox. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 10:32 AM, Utebird said:

I'd be fine with Kwitty as I was BG (although I was a JPP guy), at very least I think we get a solid player who plays the run well and can push the pocket - real potential to be a bully... Phillips, well I can't deal with his injury history in the top-20 despite the obvious talent.

• Like 1

I see an athletic freak with the raw tools but he needs work. Now that's probably because he dropped out of UCLA etc but I see a player who ultimately gets the end results but not perhaps with the best technique. 

On 4/15/2021 at 11:58 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I see an athletic freak with the raw tools but he needs work. Now that's probably because he dropped out of UCLA etc but I see a player who ultimately gets the end results but not perhaps with the best technique. 

I agree he is still raw but his technique is solid. Which is crazy because he has so much potential. One of my favorite players in this draft. His concern will be his concussion history. That may be a red flag for many teams and could draft him to the 2nd round. 

On 3/31/2021 at 11:24 AM, philafan4o8 said:

Only reason why I like Phillips a little bit more is because i believe he is more versatile with a high potential. High Risk/High Reward with Phillips. Paye is definitely the safer of the two picks.

It’s like brandon graham or jpp. One has 8-10 sack potential the other has 15+ potential but is still raw and needs to learn the game and not just dominate with talent.  Paye is no slouch tho. Dude is very athletic as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milkman420 said:

It’s like brandon graham or jpp. One has 8-10 sack potential the other has 15+ potential but is still raw and needs to learn the game and not just dominate with talent.  Paye is no slouch tho. Dude is very athletic as well

Paye is athletic but I don't like the lack of sack numbers in college. That's definitely a concern and I would prefer Phillips.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Paye is athletic but I don't like the lack of sack numbers in college. That's definitely a concern and I would prefer Phillips.

Agreed plus concussion are a concern but he is 2 or so years removed for any of those concussions. Played an entire season with no injury issues.

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Agreed plus concussion are a concern but he is 2 or so years removed for any of those concussions. Played an entire season with no injury issues.

The concussions are a major concern I think... Given UCLA Dr's would not clear him to play at one point.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The concussions are a major concern I think... Given UCLA Dr's would not clear him to play at one point.

They wouldn’t because there is a rule that players must medically retire after 3 concussions

2 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

They wouldn’t because there is a rule that players must medically retire after 3 concussions

Exactly so that's a major concern then!

9 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly so that's a major concern then!

It’s really not. UCLA medical policy is strict, they force players to medically retire after 3 concussions. 

He played a complete season with no issues. Any player can have a concussion at any time. It is a concern but he is worth a top 15 selection. Without concern easily at top 10 selection

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

It’s really not. UCLA medical policy is strict, they force players to medically retire after 3 concussions. 

He played a complete season with no issues. Any player can have a concussion at any time. It is a concern but he is worth a top 15 selection. Without concern easily at top 10 selection

Oh sorry I misread. I thought you meant the rules of the game mean a player has to retire after 3 concussions.