Dwayne Haskins released by Washington -- Dave Gettleman gets the last laugh

Wallyhorse

Remember when Giants fans and the New York media lambasted Giants GM Dave Gettleman for taking Daniel Jones with the sixth pick in the 2019 NFL draft ahead of Dwayne Haskins?

Looks like Gettleman got the last laugh has Haskins was released by the Football Team on Monday! 

If you're Howie, given he would only have to be paid the league minimum next season, would you take a chance on bringing in Haskins to back up Hurts and/or Wentz? 

I’m not sure people were lambasting Gettleman for taking Jones over Haskins- I think it was the fact they took Jones at #6. No one really viewed him as a top 10 pick. 

• Like 3

Why release him just after week 16? Are they signing someone to fill his spot and they want that roster spot?

12 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I’m not sure people were lambasting Gettleman for taking Jones over Haskins- I think it was the fact they took Jones at #6. No one really viewed him as a top 10 pick. 

I listen to 98.7 ESPN and WFAN out of New York and they were lambasting Gettleman at the time, calling him clueless for taking Jones so high.  There were rumors Washington would have taken Jones if he was available and that's why Gettleman took him at #6.

1 minute ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Why release him just after week 16? Are they signing someone to fill his spot and they want that roster spot?

Very possible.

Haskins is still too raw, not NFL ready. He needs to be on a team willing to coach him up. The new regime in Washington doesn't want to bother.

And Daniel Jones still sucks. Not worth a Top 10 pick in the draft. The Giants should've traded down... Washington was likely to pick Haskins at #15 anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toolg said:

Haskins is still too raw, not NFL ready. He needs to be on a team willing to coach him up. The new regime in Washington doesn't want to bother.

And Daniel Jones still sucks. Not worth a Top 10 pick in the draft. The Giants should've traded down... Washington was likely to pick Haskins at #15 anyway.

Which is why Haskins coming here, especially for the league minimum might make sense.

Regardless of whether Wentz goes or not, Haskins would be coming in as a backup to Hurts (and/or Wentz), and he would have the time to work on things and develop more slowly.  

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

This. / 

Waiting for our cap genius GM to sign him to a 4 year deal with 20 mil in dead money in year 5.  You know, to stay under the cap.

2 hours ago, paco said:

Waiting for our cap genius GM to sign him to a 4 year deal with 20 mil in dead money in year 5.  You know, to stay under the cap.

😂😂

No need here.  It would be two years at the league minimum since he still has two years on his Football Team deal. 

7 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Which is why Haskins coming here, especially for the league minimum might make sense.

Regardless of whether Wentz goes or not, Haskins would be coming in as a backup to Hurts (and/or Wentz), and he would have the time to work on things and develop more slowly.  

This team can't coach the qb's they have now and you want them to bring in another one, especially this stiff? 🙄

• Like 1

Apparently he was already in Rivera's doghouse for something other than bad play.

He was recently cought in a strip club and he wasn't wearing a mask. It was the second time he broke the team's COVID rules. His poor performance against the Panthers was the final nail in the coffin.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Back up to Hurts? No thanks. There's a reason he's been cut after 2 years from a crappy team.

True,, this would be a league minimum situation, which is the ONLY reason I would do it.

Cutting him with a week to go is pretty big statement from rivera.  That's the kinda thing that lands you in the CFL.

But let's be very clear, I doubt Gettlemen is laughing too much while he boxes his personal items.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

True,, this would be a league minimum situation, which is the ONLY reason I would do it.

I wouldn't even do it for that. It's throwing money, even league minimum, down the drain. 

On 12/28/2020 at 1:10 PM, Wallyhorse said:

Remember when Giants fans and the New York media lambasted Giants GM Dave Gettleman for taking Daniel Jones with the sixth pick in the 2019 NFL draft ahead of Dwayne Haskins?

Looks like Gettleman got the last laugh has Haskins was released by the Football Team on Monday! 

If you're Howie, given he would only have to be paid the league minimum next season, would you take a chance on bringing in Haskins to back up Hurts and/or Wentz? 

Jones has to live up to #6 overall before Gettlemen gets to laugh.

41 minutes ago, Procus said:

Jones has to live up to #6 overall before Gettlemen gets to laugh.

Fair point,. however, the point here actually was Giants fans wanted Gettleman to take Haskins with the sixth pick because he was rated higher than Jones. 

• Like 1

Wallyhorse saying the eagles may pick him up means it will 110% not happen

58 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Wallyhorse saying the eagles may pick him up means it will 110% not happen

The NFL finally played a Wednesday game before the tree lighting ceremony this year.... Wally has been clamoring for that moment for decades. Anything is possible.

6 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

The NFL finally played a Wednesday game before the tree lighting ceremony this year.... Wally has been clamoring for that moment for decades. Anything is possible.

Very true lol.