Time for the NFL to go to a draft lottery

Wallyhorse

As I posted in a new blog:

I suspect if this were done, it would cut out a lot of tanking but more importantly would provide the NFL with new prime-time programming they could exploit for ratings. 

In basketball 1 guy turns the franchise around and everybody and their mother knows who that is coming out of college or H.S.  NFL teams are rebuilt hitting 3-4 top 10 picks.  The lottery really doesn't do anything.

• Like 1

You post this nonsense every year and every year people tell you it's horrible. 

Also you think it would stop tanking?? Lmao you are a clown. Do you not see the NBA teams tanking for entire 82 game seasons for more lottery balls? Tanking was practically invented by the freaking NBA

Tanking is not as big of a thing in the NFL as you think maybe the last couple of games teams will say the hell with it and try for a few better picks but, over all they just don't flat out tank like the NBA, they can't they have  too many players and coaches that have incentives in their contracts. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 3:59 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

You post this nonsense every year and every year people tell you it's horrible. 

Also you think it would stop tanking?? Lmao you are a clown. Do you not see the NBA teams tanking for entire 82 game seasons for more lottery balls? Tanking was practically invented by the freaking NBA

Tanking is not as big of a thing in the NFL as you think maybe the last couple of games teams will say the hell with it and try for a few better picks but, over all they just don't flat out tank like the NBA, they can't they have  too many players and coaches that have incentives in their contracts. 

Maybe, but it likely would be a mid-week, prime time ratings bonanza for the NFL and the broadcast partners.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Maybe, but it likely would be a mid-week, prime time ratings bonanza for the NFL and the broadcast partners.  

Yeah until a team has the worst record 2 or 3 times in a row and still don't get the first pick, people will stop watching it.

Also you would only have fans of the top 10 teams watching , why would anyone else watch outside of the top 10? I only watch the nba lottery when my team is in the top 10 other wise it's a stupid waste of an hour to watch teams I don't give a crap about. 

Most NBA fans absolutely hate the draft lottery.

Just because something might be somewhat exciting for some fans and might generate decent ratings doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

• Like 2

There's only one place where that would make any sense at all:

Report: Teen Boosts Taxi from LES and Attempts Drive to Six Flags | Bowery  Boogie

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Report: Teen Boosts Taxi from LES and Attempts Drive to Six Flags | Bowery  Boogie

Even they don't agree with it. Notice how no one is there to help celebrate the idea. :lol: 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

LOL I just watched that movie a couple days ago for the first time in years. I was dying laughing during Clark's "eulogy" for Aunt Edna.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

No. Stop trying to make the NFL like other sports. 

while I don't agree about a draft lottery, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

2 Conferences, but no divisions

Each team in the Conference plays each other once. That's only 15 games, so the 1st game of the season would be a "bowl" game of sorts, with an actual trophy associated with it. Preferably against a team from the opposite conference.

For example:

Los Angeles Rams Vs Los Angeles Chargers in a battle for bragging rights of the LA area

Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh (Keystone Bowl? Quaker Bowl?)

Dallas vs Houston (Lone Star State Bowl? Battle of Texas?)

Cincinnati vs Cleveland (Ohio State Bowl? Buckeye State Bowl?)

NY Giants vs NY Jets (Big Apple Bowl? NYC Bowl)

Carolina vs Jacksonville (based on the fact they were expansion teams introduced the same season)

You get the idea. 

Additionally, top 6 teams make the playoffs in each Conference. Top 2 teams get Bye Weeks. The rest are seeded as it is now. This format should keep average teams, like the NFC East this year, out of the playoffs

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

while I don't agree about a draft lottery, I wouldn't mind seeing something like this:

2 Conferences, but no divisions

Each team in the Conference plays each other once. That's only 15 games, so the 1st game of the season would be a "bowl" game of sorts, with an actual trophy associated with it. Preferably against a team from the opposite conference.

For example:

Los Angeles Rams Vs Los Angeles Chargers in a battle for bragging rights of the LA area

Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh (Keystone Bowl? Quaker Bowl?)

Dallas vs Houston (Lone Star State Bowl? Battle of Texas?)

Cincinnati vs Cleveland (Ohio State Bowl? Buckeye State Bowl?)

NY Giants vs NY Jets (Big Apple Bowl? NYC Bowl)

Carolina vs Jacksonville (based on the fact they were expansion teams introduced the same season)

You get the idea. 

Additionally, top 6 teams make the playoffs in each Conference. Top 2 teams get Bye Weeks. The rest are seeded as it is now. This format should keep average teams, like the NFC East this year, out of the playoffs

I don’t entirely dislike your conference idea. I’ve had that idea myself before. I do think there is something to be said for rivalries however. Obviously we’d still get our games against the East, but it wouldn’t be the same only once a year, and could turn off a lot of old school fans. 

The only thing that bothers me about the geographic non-conference rivalry idea, is it’s going to give some teams better advantages over others when they get to play the Lions or Jets, teams that are routinely bad every year, as opposed to those teams assigned to play the Saints or Packers every year. I think they’d be better off making the non conference game based on previous year’s finish. 

with an 18 game season, it could work. 2x division and 1x everyone else in the conference.  You would lose out on the intraconference games, though.  

On 1/12/2021 at 11:32 AM, IFB DOG said:

with an 18 game season, it could work. 2x division and 1x everyone else in the conference.  You would lose out on the intraconference games, though.  

Then they'll go to 19 games to get interconference games.

5 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Then they'll go to 19 games to get interconference games.

Go to 82 games like the NBA

• Haha 1

People on the internet are deeks, @Wallyhorse. I hope you keep writing.  You're not advocating for school shootings or hate crimes.  Anyone that feels the need to be a bully on the internet, probably is missing something from their time away from the computer.  It literally takes less time to pass over a post than it does to respond negatively.

• 3 weeks later...