Trey Sermon (Ohio State RB) -- DRAFTED BY SAN FRANCISCO #88

judunno

I like him quite a bit but he is likely to be off the board by early round 3.  Considering the needs on this team I think taking a RB that high probably isn't a very good idea.  Now if he by chance fell to one of our 5th rd picks ...

Sermon will likely be a day 2 pick. I like him but the eagles barely use Sanders so this would be a wasted pick IMO 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:05 AM, philafan4o8 said:

Sermon will likely be a day 2 pick. I like him but the eagles barely use Sanders so this would be a wasted pick IMO 

They barely use Sanders because they're scared to get him banged up. They are probably right to have him on a pitch count considering how often he gets dinged. With that being the case you better have an alternative. If you are going with Hurts, you are going to need a stable of backs to complement his running ability and ground threat on the RPOs. IMO if they don't invest in another competent back they are making a mistake.

I'm not opposed to adding another RB via the draft but I think I'd rather take my chances on a 5th round RB than take a RB in the 3rd and try to find a gem on defense in the 5th round.

We need to go DB heavy this draft irrespective of who we take at 6. If we go WR, LB, DL, etc.. then that 2nd/3rd round range is a good spot to grab a CB and S.

• Like 2

They need to add another RB in the draft. 

Sanders is going in to his third year and at this point I think it's fairly obvious that they feel he needs to be on a carry count. Scott really is not all that good and should be no more than a #3 (#1/2 against the Giants though) and Clement should be gone. 

On 1/5/2021 at 7:58 AM, time2rock said:

Considering the needs on this team I think taking a RB that high probably isn't a very good idea. 

"You have to be able to run the ball when you need to run the ball"  Greg McElroy

While Miles Sanders is a great back, he needs to be paired with a power back. 

Open field runners puts fans in the stadium while power runners puts trophies in the trophy case.

You want rings, get a power back on the team, there are really only two that fit the bill for me, Najee Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson, I think Stevenson is the better of the two and if he's there in the 3rd it's a no brainer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EagleVA said:

I don't think Sanders can be relied upon to be the lead back and so for that reason I agree they need a power back. They need a guy who can be the #1b.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think Sanders can be relied upon to be the lead back and so for that reason I agree they need a power back. They need a guy who can be the #1b.

My reasoning for a big back has nothing to do with Sanders, for a back his size he's as good as they come.

The value of a two back attack is when used properly both backs are fresh, the value of having one of those backs to be 225+ is getting the tough yards that keeps the chains moving while softening up the defense which in turn makes the smaller back more effective. 

The Sanders/Scott pair couldn't keep the chains moving when the going got tough, shame on Doug for the pairing.

29 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

My reasoning for a big back has nothing to do with Sanders, for a back his size he's as good as they come.

The value of a two back attack is when used properly both backs are fresh, the value of having one of those backs to be 225+ is getting the tough yards that keeps the chains moving while softening up the defense which in turn makes the smaller back more effective. 

The Sanders/Scott pair couldn't keep the chains moving when the going got tough, shame on Doug for the pairing.

I definitely do not disagree that we need to add another back.  It was fun watching Taylor find his groove in Indy this year - he is someone I had on my wish list last year.  I would just prefer to use a day 3 pick on a complementary back and use those day 2 picks on the defense.  The secondary in particular needs an injection of young talent.  

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Oh I'm certainly not suggesting he's not good. I just don't think he can be relied upon up be a lead back at this point. I think he's got to be almost managed on a carry count.

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

I definitely do not disagree that we need to add another back.  It was fun watching Taylor find his groove in Indy this year - he is someone I had on my wish list last year.  I would just prefer to use a day 3 pick on a complementary back and use those day 2 picks on the defense.  The secondary in particular needs an injection of young talent.  

I have day1 cb, day2 wr, day3 rb

4 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I have day1 cb, day2 wr, day3 rb

It's hard for me to target a specific position in each round without knowing who is still available when it is our turn to pick, but in my ideal scenario, we take best WR in rd 1 then go CB with pick 37 (there should be some very good prospects available from which to choose) and S in rd 3 to wrap up day 2.  If they go in a different direction and take CB rd 1 then hoping Bateman falls to 37 and we grab him there (and then S in rd 3).   

This is where the Avery trade hurts... I can see a scenario where Sermon maybe goes in the 4th but sliding to the 5th doesn’t seem likely (unless that shoulder is worrisome).

Avery was a solid rotational guy when healthy this year imo. I don’t mind that trade.

Sermon has his history of injuries as well. With our injury luck, it’s probably not a good fit. I do want him tho.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:31 PM, EagleVA said:

"You have to be able to run the ball when you need to run the ball"  Greg McElroy

Open field runners puts fans in the stadium while power runners puts trophies in the trophy case.

You want rings, get a power back on the team, there are really only two that fit the bill for me, Najee Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson, I think Stevenson is the better of the two and if he's there in the 3rd it's a no brainer. 

I have a feeling Rhamondre will still be there in early R5 which is where I have us targeting him. 

• 3 months later...