The Howie is a genius off-season

Rob331

I know - you all just rolled your eyes but here goes - 

First there's some restructuring to do to make the salary cap. Cox, Brooks, Johnson, Hargrave, and even Wentz get adjustments. Jeffrey, Jackson, Ertz, Goodwin ($4.2M we usually forget about ), Pryor, JJAW, and Avery all have their salaries cleared by being cut. At the end of the day - this is Howie's forte and he gets it done. 

Next, we resign our RFA's and ERFA's - that's Singleton, Boston Scott, Fulgham, Ward, and Juriga.  

Since Clement is a free agent Howie takes the running back need off the table and re-signs Jordan Howard giving us a 1-2-3 of Sanders, Howard, and Scott.

Here it comes - Howie and his pal Andrew Berry both solve problems with the biggest off-season blockbuster in the league .Philadelphia trades Zach Ertz to Cleveland for Odell Beckham solving our #1 receiver problem once and for all. So, you say, how do we afford his $14.5M base salary  - we trade Derek Barnett and his $10M salary for a 4th. 

Then we move Malik Jackson to the Raiders for a 5 (that's 3 5's for those who are counting)

Next - Howie parlays that #6 pick by trading with Jacksonville and getting  a 1 (Rams pick), 2 (JAX pick) and a 3 (JAX pick) in a trade down with Jacksonville. Jacksonville stated out with 2 1'S, 2 2's, a 3. and 2'4''s. They have more cap space than they can use for free agents and they want to win now, By the way - this works out pretty well on the draft pick trade value chart also. 

Howie keeps going - we get 2 comp picks, a 6th and a 7th and go in to the draft with 2 of each. He packages a 6 and a 7 for a 5 and than does it again - two more 5th round picks making a total of 5. Why - 5th round picks have a much better chance of contributing than 6 and 7th round selections. 

So where does that leave the Eagles on draft day - 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 - 10 picks

Then comes the actual selections - 

1 - having solved the WR issue the 1st pick is CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech 6'2"  4.45. Finally a big, fast corner starting opposite Darius Slay and Maddox moves into the slot. 

2 (JAX) now we move Reagor to the slot receiver by drafting WR Rashod Bateman, Minnesota 6'2'" 210 4.45

2 - replace Barnett with DE Carlos Basham, Wake Forrest 6'5" 275 4.85

3 (JAX) - S Paris Ford, Pittsburg 6'0" 195 4.49. Mills is a free agent, Ford is a free agent, and McCloud has an ACL and probably won't be back early, 

3 - C Alex Lindstrom, Boston College 6'4" 290 5.28. Kelce's eventual replacement - hopefully it isn't 2021.

5 - LB Cameron Goode, California 6'3" 235 4.70. Gerry and Riley are both free agents and it will be good to see them both go. 

5 - LB Shaka Toney, Penn State 6'3"236 4.70.Ditto, see above. At 4.70 both of these linebackers are the fastest left on the board

5 - TE Tony Poljan, Central Michigan 6'7"258 4.75. Goedert, Rodgers, and Poljan are the new TE room

5 - CB Chase Lucas, Arizona State 6'0" 195 4.49. Has to be an upgrade over Cre'von LeBlanc and Michael Jacquet. Notice the size and SPEED. 

5 - S James Wiggens, Cincinnati 6'0"2054.55. Two safeties out 2 safeties in. 

Cap met, holes filled, future beyond 2021 looking better. 

Darn, I just woke up. 

• Like 1

You got rid of Barnett and replaced him with Basham? Hmm not sure about that bud. 

But hey I mean there's a lot of moves there so you've given this a lot of thought and there are some really exciting moves there. 

• Like 1

Hmmm...🤨

Madden esque mock with those trades but hey, you never know...

First I don’t want OBJ in Philly and I don’t think Howie and Co.will either.

Second; Farley and Surtain are the best corners in the draft. With a good combine Farley might even have a shot to overtake Surtain IMO. So if all things go to plan, he won’t make it out of the top 15. Heck, both might go in the top 12.

Bashem I like but he might be better suited to play in a 3-4. He’s not exactly the prototypical Eagles edge rusher IMO.

Lucas we already talked about. As far as I know he’s heading back to school.

The rest is okay I guess but if this were to happen I’d be disappointed. Sorry! 

I sort of like it. Props for thinking outside the box! 😃

It does leave us thin at both TE and RB, but can't say I don't like the picks you made.

On 1/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, Ray75 said:

Bashem I like but he might be better suited to play in a 3-4. He’s not exactly the prototypical Eagles edge rusher IMO.

Same size but faster than Curry. 

23 hours ago, Right4thePicking said:

Traditionally don't wrs take two years to develop to the pros? This is overkill.

Not sure I follow you - Metcalf, Ferguson, and McLauren didn't take 2 years. Reagor has the potential to be good be we need a bona fide #1 now - this scenario has us adding one receiver and he's a bona fide #1 so in the final analysis, if Reagor hits his potential we have a killer lineup. 

On 1/11/2021 at 7:44 AM, Infam said:

I sort of like it. Props for thinking outside the box! 😃

It does leave us thin at both TE and RB, but can't say I don't like the picks you made.

Thanks for the props and your comeback thoughts. We do add a tight end and Goedert become the #1 - Rodgers did a pretty good job when Ertz was out so I think we're ok there. Remember, this is predicated on resigning Jordan Howard. I believe he's vastly underrated and in combination with Sanders and Scott he makes a pretty strong room.