Chase V Smith

kanga

I know it's early days, but I wouldn't mind starting the discussion on which WR to take: Ja'Marr Chase or DeVonta Smith?  I know a lot can change, depending on the combine and which team drafts them, but initial thoughts are welcome (please).

I am playing in a ppr dynasty league, with a super-flex in play (so 2 x QB essentially).  We will be in year 2 and I have fourth pick.  My guess is that Etienne, Harris & Lawrence will be the first 3 taken in our draft, leaving me with the decision of Chase or Smith. QBs seem scarce in this league, hence the near certainty that Lawrence will be amongst the first three.

I mean for me it's Chase all day long. 

I like Smith, I think he's got potential to be a really good nfl WR but I think Chase has a good chance to be a stud in the nfl. 

My concern with Smith is his size. I'm just not sure how he's going to withstand so many big hits whereas Chase is that bit bigger.

• Like 1

Thanks.  Smith does look awfully good on the highlights though, but I get your point on durability: a gun on IR is not scoring/catching many balls.  

Smith is a college senior while Chase is an underclassman. So maybe Smith has a better chance to splash right away...? Is your fantasy draft before or after the NFL draft? A lot will depend on what teams draft these guys and the system they will be playing in.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:29 PM, kanga said:

I know it's early days, but I wouldn't mind starting the discussion on which WR to take: Ja'Marr Chase or DeVonta Smith?  I know a lot can change, depending on the combine and which team drafts them, but initial thoughts are welcome (please).

I am playing in a ppr dynasty league, with a super-flex in play (so 2 x QB essentially).  We will be in year 2 and I have fourth pick.  My guess is that Etienne, Harris & Lawrence will be the first 3 taken in our draft, leaving me with the decision of Chase or Smith. QBs seem scarce in this league, hence the near certainty that Lawrence will be amongst the first three.

Do you have to make a decision before the NFL draft ??  If so you go Smith.

What part of Australia do you live ??

We are drafting after the draft.  So I am thinking Chase currently as I will have him for many years.  Thanks for your reply.

Newcastle, which is about 2 hours north of Sydney.  Lovely part of the world, with beaches and wineries and perfect temps all year round.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Draft went: 1. Lawrence 2. Harris 3. Fields 4. Etienne - which was me.  Pretty happy with how it played out.  

Funny thing is that after pasting this months ago, if it had have gone as I predicted: QB, RB, RB.... I probably would now have gone Pitts with my pick 1 (overall 4).

• 2 months later...

Smith. A lot of mouths to feed in Cincy. Byod and Higgins will get their fair share of targets