Simple reason why Belichik coaching tree has mostly failed

Procus

The Pats success was much more because of Brady than Belichik.  Without Brady, Belichik has a losing record.  He was a HC for 8 years when Brady was not his starting QB.  BB's teams had a losing record in 6 of those years and only made the playoffs once.

Belichik deserves all the credit for drafting Brady and for not re-inserting Bledsoe as a starter once he healed from injury.  And he no doubt paired up well as a HC for Brady.  But sans Brady, BB is simply an average or below average head coach.  It therefore follows that his coaching tree would not have success in the NFL

I think the biggest mistake the Belichick coaching tree makes is that they try to be Belichick rather than their own person. 

• Like 5

Think you both are partially correct.  Belichick has this whole "do your job", "team first" thing happening.  If you go to NE, you know that this is to play to win the superbowl, not for personal achievements.  For that to work, you need a guy like Brady leading by example.  WIthout Brady, you just look like an a-hole.

Belichick was on his way to making the Browns a winner in the 1990's. 1994 was his lone playoff team without Brady on the roster. The next season is when the Browns announce relocation to Baltimore, the team tanks, and Belichick is fired. Baltimore will eventually win the 2000 Super Bowl before the Patriots run; maybe that could've been Belichick's team? Maybe the Ravens even find success sooner behind Belichick? But he rejoins Parcells, before landing the Patriot's head coach job. Maybe what he did to the Patriots could have been the Browns/Ravens?

It is easy to watch Brady advance to the Super Bowl with the Bucs and say it's because Brady is more successful. I think it's easy to shop around for a good team and find success immediately. I think it's more difficult to build a perennial successful team. I think Belichick and Brady are the product of each other's success. I don't think we've heard the last from Belichick.

On 1/20/2021 at 4:16 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the biggest mistake the Belichick coaching tree makes is that they try to be Belichick rather than their own person. 

I agree. They try to emulate Belichick instead of coming up with their own winning formula. That's it.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, Procus said:

He was a HC for 8 years when Brady was not his starting QB. 

Was it that many years? I haven't looked, but I'd have guessed it was fewer.