WENTZ ONCE WAS OFFSEASON

dsryan24

Well with the rumors out there that a trade will be happening soon, here is my speculation of a trade potentially happening. The staff is pretty much in place now. This year is going to be a rebuilding year for sure, so look for other potential trades for guys that have big contracts like  Johnson, Brooks, Graham, Cox & Slay as well. This is what I think could make us the most competitive though too.

TRADES- QB Carson Wentz traded to Indianapolis for 2021 1st round pick, 2021 4th round pick & 2022 2nd round pick.

TE Zach Ertz traded to Tennessee for 2021 4th round pick.

RELEASED/RETIRING/NOT RETURNING-  QB Nate Sudfeld, RB Corey Clement, WR DeSean Jackson, WR Alshon Jeffery, WR JJ Arcega Whiteside,  LT Jason Peters, C Jason Kelce, DT Malik Jackson, DE Genard Avery, DEVinny Curry, LB Nate Gerry S Jalen Mills, CB Nickell Robey-Coleman, CB CreVon LeBlanc, ($65 mill in cap space saved)

RESTRUCTURED-  K Jake Elliot, DE Brandon Graham, S Rodney McLeod, RG Brandon Brooks ($30 mill in cap space saved)

RESIGNED- RB Jordan Howard, LB Alex Singleton, LB Duke Riley, TE Richard Rodgers

FREE AGENCY- QB Tyrod Taylor (2 years 3 mill), DE Solomon Thomas (1 year 2 mill)

DRAFT- 

ROUND 1- DeVonta Smith WR Alabama- Smith is the best value player at a position of need here. Smith gives Hurts one more of weapons he is going to need. Smith is an Antonio Brown clone in my opinion. 

ROUND 1 (from IND)- Jaycee Horn CB South Carolina- Horn is a top notch corner that may potentially go higher. Would've preffered Surtain or Farley, but Horn is a nice consolotion. Comes from a school that produces top notch DBs.

ROUND 2- Trevon Moehrig S TCU- The need for a safety that can adequately replace what was lost by Malcolm Jenkins is huge. Jalen Mills was average last year in his role, and at this point will probably be looking for too much money, which he definitely is not worth. Moehrig is an Earl Thomas type of safety that every team should have now. 

ROUND 3- Creed Humphrey C Oklahoma- Humphrey comes in as a nice value with the retirement of Jason Kelce. Hurts already has chemistry with Humphrey as he was his Center in College also.

ROUND 4 (from IND)- Monty Rice LB Georgia- Rice comes in and provides nice depth at LB that will be needed with TJ Edwards and Alex Singleton. I believe the Eagles will likely use more 3 LB sets in this defense with Jonathan Gannon.

ROUND 4 (from TEN)- Shaun Wade CB Ohio State-  More depth in the defensive backfield again with this pick. Wade had a down year but could bounce back with good coaching. Wade and Horn could be the corners of the future here.

ROUND 5- Chris Rumph II EDGE Duke- Some more youth along the defensive line will be needed sorely. Their two top players on the line are both going to be over 30 next year (Graham will be 33). Rumph could fill in like Josh Sweat, as Sweat will likely start to take an even bigger role on.

ROUND 5 (From DAL)- Kobie Whiteside DT Missouri- More youth and depth along the interior DL. Whiteside fits in as a nice rotational DT that could eventually take over once Cox leaves.

ROUND 6  Tony Poljan TE Virginia- Poljan is a huge target that could be a redzone threat. Having him and Goedert in the Redzone could be nice for Jalen Hurts.

ROUND 7- Feleipe Franks QB Arkansas- Franks is a project for sure, but he has all the measurables (size, arm, strength) he may have to be on the roster because of his potential.

PROJECTED DEPTH CHART

QB- Hurts, Taylor, Franks

RB- Sanders, Howard, Scott, Huntley

WR- Smith, Fulgham, Reagor, Ward, Hightower, Watkins

TE- Goedert, Rodgers, Poljan

LT- Mailata, Dillard

LG- Seumalo, Herbig

C- Humphrey, Seumalo

RG- Brooks, Pryor

RT- Johnson,  Driscoll

LE- Graham, Sweat, Rumph II

DT- Cox, Whiteside

DT- Hargrave, McGill

RE- Barnett, Thomas, Rumph II

SLB- Taylor, Rice

MLB- Edwards, Bradley

WLB- SIngleton, Riley

CB- Slay,  Seymour

CB- Horn, James

NB- Maddox,  Wade

FS- Moehrig, Epps

SS- McLeod,  Wallace

K- Elliot

P- Johnston

LS- Lovato

• Like 4

I like the draft selections, although I personally think Humphrey and Wade will both be drafted a round earlier than where you projected them. However, the overall draft strategy is solid and the picks definitely balance our needs with value at those spots.

Tyrod Taylor would be a good addition as a backup to Hurts and would offer a similar skillset in terms of mobility if something were to happen to Jalen. 

I'm not sure we would get a 1st, 4th, and a future 2nd back in return for Carson, even if it is the Colts trading for him and hoping he's magic with Frank Reich. However, the QB trade market works in interesting ways, so maybe you're not far off? Personally, I think a 1st and a 4th is probably more realistic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What about Barnett in all this? Or are they bringing him back on his fifth year option in this scenario?

I would say he gets his 5th year option, because he is risky potential extension. He is okay, but not worth signing for money he would likely get on the open market. Sort of like Agholor in his last year of his deal

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dsryan24 said:

I would say he gets his 5th year option, because he is risky potential extension. He is okay, but not worth signing for money he would likely get on the open market. Sort of like Agholor in his last year of his deal

I don't disagree though if he balls out this year he's going to cost them a lot more if they then wanted to bring him back? Plus if they bring him back on the fifth year option that's a lot of money for a player who, as you say, has been ok (even good at times) but not elite.

One of the best I've seen - thanks

TRADE - I guess we can't really expect more but I;d love to see a player included also. Another post has Rock Ya-Sin included. That would be super. Ireally hope you're right and we get a 4th for Ertz. 

RELEASE / NOT RETURNING  - I am with you 90%. Let's wait and see on Kelce. 

RESTRUCTURES - Bingo! Maybe throw in Cox and Johnson also. 

RESIGNED - Got it - maybe we draft a replacement for Riley. 

FREE GENT SIGNINGS - I just don't like Taylor. I'd prefer Andy Dalton. I really like your thinking on Thomas - he's younger than most other "names" available and has a real shot at being Vinnie Curry's equivalent. 

DRAFT - rounds 1, 2, and 3 are PERFECT, good calls one and all. From there I'd change a lot.

Despite his ideal h-w-s I don't trust Wade and I do want 6' plus corner who run sub 4.4, I'm sick and tired of short slow guys trying to cover for us. So - my 4th round pick would be Ambry Thomas or Rodarius Williams. 

I'd change the 5th up too. Another LB and another S make sense here to me. Wiggens at S and Shaka Toney at LB/Edge would be my choices here. 

I think with compensatory picks we'll have 2 6th's and 2 7th's. Let's go out on an limb and say Howie makes a paid of trades and gets 2 5t round picks for a 6th and 7th each. With those 2 5throunders I grad a DT and a QB. Bobby Brown is the fastest DT rated as a 5th and my lat round QB would be KJ Costello. 

Thanks a million - this was a great read, terrifically thoughtful, and fun to analyze. 

Don’t think a lot of the players you take will be available when you take them. Especially wade in the 4th.

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't disagree though if he balls out this year he's going to cost them a lot more if they then wanted to bring him back? Plus if they bring him back on the fifth year option that's a lot of money for a player who, as you say, has been ok (even good at times) but not elite.

That's how I thought a while ago. At this point though I feel like if we did sign him now to the cheaper deal and he balls out he would want a new contract to be happy anyways. So might as well give out even more option years and prove it deals if you can't win cap that way.