Who Will the Buccaneers Play on Thursday Night Football for Season Opener?

AlpineEagle

Buccaneers Season Opener  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Opponents

• Atlanta Falcons
    • Buffalo Bills
    • Carolina Panthers
    • Chicago Bears
    • Dallas Cowboys
    • Miami Dolphins
    • New Orleans Saints
    • New York Giants

You beat me to it!!  😄😄😄

I think it will be the Giants.  They can save the Cowboys for later in the season.

I suspect the station manager of WNBC-TV (Channel 4) in New York will lobby hard for Giants-Bucs because that game will be airing opposite the women's semifinals of the US Open Tennis Championship on ESPN, an event that actually does big in New York (there are many in NYC who don't watch Tennis at all the rest of the year who will watch the entire two weeks of the US Open) and would dent the opener if one or both Williams sisters made the semis. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

You beat me to it!!  😄😄😄

I think it will be the Giants.  They can save the Cowboys for later in the season.

I suspect the station manager of WNBC-TV (Channel 4) in New York will lobby hard for Giants-Bucs because that game will be airing opposite the women's semifinals of the US Open Tennis Championship on ESPN, an event that actually does big in New York (there are many in NYC who don't watch Tennis at all the rest of the year who will watch the entire two weeks of the US Open) and would dent the opener if one or both Williams sisters made the semis. 

Totally the insight I expect from EMB. Brilliant!

On 2/8/2021 at 1:13 AM, Wallyhorse said:

You beat me to it!!  😄😄😄

You never disappoint. 

On 2/7/2021 at 7:11 PM, AlpineEagle said:

Buccaneers Will Play on Thursday, September 9, 2021 for Thursday Night Football Opener

None of the above.  It will be the Packers.  NFCCG rematch, both QB’s are older, and they don’t want to risk missing this matchup in prime time if one of them gets injured.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:10 PM, downundermike said:

None of the above.  It will be the Packers.  NFCCG rematch, both QB’s are older, and they don’t want to risk missing this matchup in prime time if one of them gets injured.

They don't play the Pack.  Bucs were a second place team and they play the Bears (2nd in NFC North) at home. 

On 2/8/2021 at 1:13 AM, Wallyhorse said:

Wow, I was picking Saints mostly because I thought that would be the most entertaining matchup.  This analysis makes total sense.  I wouldn't actually mind a Bucs - Giants matchup, though.  

3 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Wow, I was picking Saints mostly because I thought that would be the most entertaining matchup.  This analysis makes total sense.  I wouldn't actually mind a Bucs - Giants matchup, though.  

Yeah, the US Open is a unique-to-New York thing.  It does big numbers in the New York metro area as it is held at Flushing Meadows.  That's why I think it will be the Giants. 

• 2 months later...

We now know the opener will be against the Cowboys:

If I'm the station manager of WNBC-TV (Channel 4) in New York, I'm furious it's not Giants-Bucs as the game as noted will be airing directly opposite the women's semifinals of the US Open Tennis Championships on ESPN.  If one or both Williams sisters happen to get to the semis, it would likely have a huge negative impact on the rating for that game in NYC as the US Open historically does big ratings in New York (in particular because of those who don't watch Tennis the rest of the year who will watch the US Open solely because it's in New York, a very unique-to-NYC thing) and many will watch just because its the Williams sisters if they get that far. 

NFL Week 1 schedule 2021.jpg