JJ Watt (ex-Texans DE) -- SIGNED WITH ARIZONA

Captain F

He's either going to reunite with his brothers in Pittsburgh or go ring-chasing elsewhere (Tampa Bay?) No way he comes to a rebuilding team if he asked the Texans to release him.

But a nice pipe dream for sure.

He's not coming here but I'm curious if he'd be a dbag and want a lot of money or is realistic about himself

You'd be paying for the name and the few games you can get out of him. 

He said that he knows he doesn't have 10 years left, but feels he has a few great seasons left.

Translation = "I want a ring, but I want to get PAID, too."  

I was thinking Pack, but they are struggling to stay under the cap, so that seems unlikely. 

Tampa has a surprising amount of cap room ($30m), and they may also have some vets willing to defer $$ so they can bring the band back for another run.  Maybe I'm leaning for the Bucs? 

Dark horse - WFT.  They also have a ton of cap room and a lot of young guys on the line.  I don't think they are close to getting a ring, though, so this would probably only be dependent on them making a big move at QB.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:12 PM, Mike030270 said:

He's not coming here but I'm curious if he'd be a dbag and want a lot of money or is realistic about himself

You'd be paying for the name and the few games you can get out of him. 

How is wanting a lot of money being a dbag?

And an honest (realistic) assessment is that he still has a few good seasons left, so I'm sure there will be plenty of teams lined up willing to pay him (despite a recent injury history), including legit contenders, so why would he choose to play here for next to nothing?  

I've always loved what he brings to a team and dreamed of a day we could potentially add him, but that is no longer a realistic possibility ... his age and our cap situation make it so.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

How is wanting a lot of money being a dbag?

And an honest (realistic) assessment is that he still has a few good seasons left, so I'm sure there will be plenty of teams lined up willing to pay him (despite a recent injury history), including legit contenders, so why would he choose to play here for next to nothing?  

I've always loved what he brings to a team and dreamed of a day we could potentially add him, but that is no longer a realistic possibility ... his age and our cap situation make it so.

Because he's not worth a big contract anymore

An honest opinion is he'll likely get injured. In 5 years he has only 2 seasons where he didn't start all of the games

He'd probably be great for a rotational but if he's asking for a ton of money then it's not worth it IMO

20 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Because he's not worth a big contract anymore

An honest opinion is he'll likely get injured. In 5 years he has only 2 seasons where he didn't start all of the games

He'd probably be great for a rotational but if he's asking for a ton of money then it's not worth it IMO

I think he’ll end up somewhere like Buffalo ... a team that is really close to winning it all and maybe just needs an extra piece or 2 to put them over the top.  Also have to figure he likely would have a strong preference to go to a team that will contend and not go to a team rebuilding after never winning a championship all those years in Houston, so that leaves us out anyway.  

On 2/12/2021 at 1:30 PM, DeathByEagle said:

You stole Shocker's thunder here. This is his type of threat

I don't find this threatening at all.

• Like 1

We can't offer him money or a chance at winning.  So unless he just wants those legendary "facilities" we have to offer, then we may be out of luck.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

We can't offer him money or a chance at winning.  So unless he just wants those legendary "facilities" we have to offer, then we may be out of luck.

They don't even do those legendary shakes / smoothies at the Novacare anymore do they? I guess the appeal is he could get paid to spend a lot of time injured? The Eagles have become the place to come if you want to spend a lot of time on the treatment table.

On 2/14/2021 at 4:57 PM, time2rock said:

I think he’ll end up somewhere like Buffalo ... a team that is really close to winning it all and maybe just needs an extra piece or 2 to put them over the top.  Also have to figure he likely would have a strong preference to go to a team that will contend and not go to a team rebuilding after never winning a championship all those years in Houston, so that leaves us out anyway.  

Buffalo's a cold cold place to take a body that's been injured a lot the last few years, those old muscle and joint injuries that ache in a Texas autumn will hurt like all hell December in upstate New York, I'd say Tampa are pretty much nailed on if they want him.

49 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Buffalo's a cold cold place to take a body that's been injured a lot the last few years, those old muscle and joint injuries that ache in a Texas autumn will hurt like all hell December in upstate New York, I'd say Tampa are pretty much nailed on if they want him.

Oh please not Tampa! Please please please.

11 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I had GB as my next logical destination.  Just as cold if not even worse than Buffalo.  

Baltimore? Tennessee? Seattle?  NO?  I think NO is actually in a worse cap situation than us though.  And if Brees retires, are they still one of the top contenders?

Tampa makes a lot of sense. Or Pitt if he wants to play with his Brother with one last hoorah for Ben. 

5 hours ago, What The F said:

Tampa makes a lot of sense. Or Pitt if he wants to play with his Brother with one last hoorah for Ben. 

Is Big Ben coming back again? Man I thought that dude was going to retire. 

I definitely don't want Watt to go to Tampa.