3 round mock and offseason

ManchesterEagle

Eagles trade:

Carson Wentz to Colts for first rounder 2021 and 4th rounder in 2022 which could turn into a 3rd if Wentz starts 12 or more games and the Colts make the playoffs.

Zach Ertz to Packers for 2021 3rd rounder.

Eagles release:

D Jackson, Jeffery, M Jackson, Avery, Goodwin, Pryor

Eagles restructure:

Cox, Hargrave, Graham, Barnett, Lane Johnson

Eagles re-sign:

Jalen Mills - 2 years 7 million. I know a lot of people don't rate Mills, but he is a solid NFL player. He gives us somebody who can start at either outside corner or safety.

Hassan Ridgeway - 1 year 800,000 - injury issues but cheap and decent rotation DT. We will bring in competition later in the draft.

Richard Rodgers - 2 years 2 million - I like him as a TE2/3. Good value.

Crevon LeBlanc - 1 year 800,000 - decent slot corner, will compete with Maddox there.

Boston Scott - 1 year 1 million - can fill in if needed. Solid pass catching back.

Eagles sign in FA

Curtis Samuel WR - 3 years 25 million. I just don't think we can go into the season with the receivers we have and rely on adding a rookie in the draft. You should never rely immediately on a rookie dropping to you. Samuel is an ascending player who can slide into the slot and provide us with a dynamic weapon in space who can also be utilised out of the backfield. I thought about JuJu here, but just don't think we can afford him.

Xavier Rhodes - 2 years 11 million - We need a legitimate outside corner to play opposite Slay plain and simple and again can't rely on the draft. Maddox is not an outside corner. Rhodes is. We get him on a reasonable deal given his ties to our new coaching staff.

Also would add cheap depth pieces/competition at Safety, Linebacker and DT.

Eagles draft

Round 1 - pick 6 - Ja'Marr Chase WR - LSU. I did not want to do this. I think WR is an overrated position which fans on this board over obsess about. I wanted to trade down, but we need a blue chip player and with the Lions going with Goff, I can't see the appettite for the Panthers or Broncos giving us a good offer to trade down. I don't see the value of Surtain or Farley at 6. Chase is the reluctant choice and hopefully gives us a legitimate number 1 for Hurts to develop with.

Round 1 - pick 21 - Gregory Rousseau DE - Miami.  - A dominant pass rush is a key part of a lot of great teams. Means you don't have to blitz as much and disrupts a QBs timing. Rousseau is raw, but can work into the rotation and be BG's eventual replacement in a year or two.

Round 2 - pick 37 - Asante Samuel JR CB -  Florida State - Good things happen when you bring a Samuel to Philly. Desperately need young talent on D and we can take our time with Asante who can learn behind Slay and Rhodes. His size worries me slightly, but like his Dad he can flat out cover.

Round 3 - pick 70 - Trey Smith - G - Tennessee - OL is so important. I'm comfortable with our tackles, but Smith adds needed depth on the interior, especially with Kelce close to retirement and Brooks and injury risk. Along with Herbig he gives us some decent depth and can push to start in 2022.

Round 3 - pick 92 - Jabril Cox - LB - LSU - explosive athlete. More polished than Taylor and while he may take some time to develop, I'm thinking of the future here. 

Round 4 onwards is just getting potential depth/fliers. I've not had a chance to have a look at, but hopefully you can see my main focus from the above.

• Like 3

Oooh you know what... I really like this. 

My only thing is the Rhodes move. Is there a lot of point in going for an ageing corner to play opposite Slay? We need to get younger at that position and whilst I appreciate we can't do that all in one year I think corner is one we need to. 

• Like 1

Good picks. Like UK mentioned, another CB to pair with Samuel, Jr. in the draft would be nice to mold for the future. Rodarius Williams and Robert Rochell are two that pique my interest. Both could be available Rds 3-5.

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oooh you know what... I really like this. 

My only thing is the Rhodes move. Is there a lot of point in going for an ageing corner to play opposite Slay? We need to get younger at that position and whilst I appreciate we can't do that all in one year I think corner is one we need to. 

Yeah I hear you on that.

I guess my thinking was that it's very difficult to get decent young corners in free agency without paying through the nose. If we are not targeting Farley/Surtain in the draft, then it's unlikely that we can draft one who will be ready to start straight away. I think Rhodes can keep the D respectable while giving the younger players (in this case Samuel JR) time to develop.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

Good picks. Like UK mentioned, a CB or two in this draft would be nice to mold for the future. Rodarius Williams and Robert Rochell are two that pique my interest. Both could be available Rds 3-5.

You saw I took Samuel JR right? But yeah I'm keen to add young talent at CB and if we can get another in rds 4 and 5, then great. Would love to have two promising corners behind Slay and another Vet that can develop and take over at the right time (kind of like Sheppard and Brown). I'll take a look at the ones you mention and maybe do an update in a week or so with all rounds.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

You saw I took Samuel JR right? But yeah I'm keen to add young talent at CB and if we can get another in rds 4 and 5, then great. Would love to have two promising corners behind Slay and another Vet that can develop and take over at the right time (kind of like Sheppard and Brown). I'll take a look at the ones you mention and maybe do an update in a week or so with all rounds.

I had to edit my first post as I forgot you drafted Samuel, Jr. Really like his game, but read that some are pigeonholing him as a nickel CB because of his size. I think he could play outside though and be a shut down corner like his dad.

Yeah, I've been admittedly obsessed with a Sheppard/Brown 2.0 draft lol. Think the atrocious CB performances of late are wearing me down . There definitely are some mid-round CBs that are intriguing this year. Rochell is a small-school guy that checks a lot of boxes. Williams has size and speed to be a good outside CB.

Rhodes would be a good placeholder though if the price is right. His familiarity with the system could be invaluable to the rookies coming in.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I really wish your trade had been real - they got squat for Wentz

im fairly satisfied with a 3rd and a conditional 1st... he was one of the worst starting QBs last yr after all

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, Rob331 said:

I really wish your trade had been real - they got squat for Wentz

They should get a first unless Wentz gets badly hurt or really sucks. Not what I hoped, but hopefully not a disaster.