Shocker

Procus

http://igglesblitz.com/2020/04/shocker-2/

Shocker

Posted: April 24th, 2020 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 188 Comments

The Eagles had some interesting players to choose from at pick 53.

They threw us the ultimate curve ball.

What????

Most of you hate the pick, from what I can see. I’ve got serious questions about it.

That said, look at the Value Board I did for the Eagles earlier today and you’ll see that I have Hurts listed in the 2nd round.

Why?

QB is the most important position in football and this group of college QBs largely stunk. Hurts was the one guy outside the first round that actually interested me. He is a good player who made big strides in 2019. He is a great leader and incredible competitor. His intangibles are off the charts. This is a guy you want on your team.

Carson Wentz has had injury issues at the end of the last three seasons. Poor QB play hurt the Eagles last year in the playoffs. You draft a guy like Hurts to develop as your backup.

I don’t like the value. The second round is early for adding a backup QB.

There is also the question of how Wentz and the locker room will handle this. You never know if it will cause issues. I do know Hurts is the kind of guy who will do what it takes to make it work.

It will be interesting to see what Howie and Doug have to say about this.

I believe they just overreacted to the need to have a reliable backup QB.  McCown may be good for the locker room and a good mentor for a younger QB but he clearly doesn't have enough left in the tank to lead a team when needed most, and for some reason they just don't seem to have full trust in Sudfeld (although I don't buy the narrative that he couldn't win back the backup QB role last year when he returned from injury - I think Doug and Howie (out of loyalty) promised McCown he'd remain #2 at that time when they lured him out of retirement).  Anyway, I'm sure they'll spin it as he was the best player on their board and couldn’t pass on him.  We'll see how he helps this season, but you take players in the first 2 rounds with the expectation that they develop into future (or in some cases immediate) starters.  

I don't think he was drafted simply to be a backup QB.  He is pretty versatile and could bring an extra dimension to the offense in certain situations.  

But again, for a team with some real needs, this seems like an unnecessary and ill timed choice.  Obviously, the eagles have concern about Wentz playing a full year, but why keep Sudfeld around if he never gets a chance to play when needed?  Last year was a perfect time for them to see what Sudfeld could do.....especially when Howie just said they want to be a "QB factory".   So they're going to develop QBs to put them on the shelf?

I hear the reasons they drafted him.....and they're all really weak.......and it's a mystery as to how, and when, this pick will show payback.  And that kind of question should be minimized as much as possible with a 2nd round selection.

I've defended Howie over the years.....but I simply find this pick indefensible....

That's what the pick gave us, the shocker

Would have preferred to take Mims there and grab Eason with one of our 4th rd picks to groom as #2.