Eagles News: One league source says Howie Roseman is the “sole problem” in Philadelphia

Road to Victory

Eagles News: One league source says Howie Roseman is the "sole problem” in Philadelphia

Philadelphia Eagles news and links for 2/21/21.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton  Feb 21, 2021, 6:00am EST 

Let’s get to the Philadelphia Eagles links ...

Eagles mailbag: Stick with Jalen Hurts? Why is Howie Roseman still power? - NBCSP
That’s not to say that Roseman has done a good job or even that he deserves to still be in power. In fact, many people who have recently left the organization and some still inside the building think he’s the biggest problem with the franchise. A league source recently told me he thinks Roseman is the "sole problem” in Philly. But I don’t think Roseman is GM for life like some have suggested. Sure, the Super Bowl gave him a longer leash than Doug Pederson but his view for the future of the team also falls in line with Lurie’s. The one thing I know about Lurie, though, is that he won’t like this perception that the Eagles don’t know what they’re doing and he definitely doesn’t like it when the Eagles become the butt of jokes. Remember, Lurie stripped Roseman of personnel power before, so it’s not out of the realm of possibility that it might happen again in the future. I still think Roseman isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but this whole Wentz thing is a catastrophic organizational failure (Wentz deserves some blame too) and if the Eagles can’t rebound like they’re hoping in the next few seasons, then even Roseman might not be immune.

Carson Wentz is easy to blame, but Howie Roseman is the one constant in the Eagles’ dysfunction - Inquirer
If Julio Jones catches that pass in the end zone, here is what history shows: -Three coaching changes in nine years, each of them following a season of epic dysfunction. -Four losing seasons within those nine years. -Zero wide receivers or cornerbacks drafted and developed, and two franchise quarterbacks run out of town, since 2009. -Three seasons of 10+ wins in the last 10 years, two of them by a guy who allegedly ran the organization into the ground. An 81-78-1 record during that span. -An ever-shifting command structure in which nobody ever acknowledges responsibility. There are plenty of people in this city who are enablers, too quick to swallow the organizational narrative regarding the culprit of the moment. Donovan McNabb, Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Carson Wentz - to say nothing of the bit players like Groh who’ve been assigned a laughably outsized slice of the blame. Each time, they move on, and the world dawns anew. Ding dong, the bad guy’s gone, our nightmare is over. It’s funny. Even Wentz’s most vociferous critics have begun to pivot to less precarious opinions. They see that the Colts have a solid offensive line, an excellent defense, a power running game, a couple of promising receivers, a well-regarded coaching staff. Already, the narrative is shifting from "Wentz can’t win” to "Wentz can’t win here.” Problem is, they do not ask the obvious question. If he can win there, and not here, why exactly is that?

Carson Wentz and the Eagles share blame for what led to their breakup - BGN
"This relationship’s been … let me use the word, "tense.” It’s been tense, I think, the last two or three years. And what kind of gets me, and it’s two-fold, the blame is two-fold. The blame is on Wentz for being the petulant child that now everybody knows he can be and sometimes is. And it also falls on the Eagles and Howie Roseman. Again, because here’s this petulant child, well, what do you do with a petulant child? You slap their hand, go in the corner, calm down, this is your punishment. He never received any of that. What he did receive — and this is where the Eagles are at fault — they enabled his behavior. They enabled that entitlement. They should have put their foot down and said, no, you’re not going to turn around and run this franchise into the ground. Which, in my opinion, he did by holding this team hostage. By playing this game very much out in the public regardless of how much Wentz wants to turn around and said through different connections he doesn’t see the sense in responding right now with different things. Well, no, you should respond. You have to turn around and step up to this criticism. And what bothered guys, or at least the guys that I spoke to, their issue is he’s asking for a trade, so he’s trying to cut out on us. And secondly, he’s asking for a trade and he’s backing away from competition with Jalen Hurts. Because I don’t think you’d find Jalen Hurts backing away from Carson Wentz. Or I don’t think Carson Wentz would back away from the next coming of Joe Montana. He’s going to turn around — from what I know and what I hear about Jalen Hurts — he’s going to fight, he’s going to claw. And the last time I looked, that’s pretty much Philadelphia. That’s this fan base. That’s where people can turn around to and relate to a guy like that, as opposed to someone like Carson Wentz, and I’m going to go here with this, he ran away. And that bothered guys.”

I was reading another article about Roseman that talked about "what if” Julio Jones makes that catch in the end zone and they don’t win a Super Bowl. 

Where would the Eagles be now? 

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

I was reading another article about Roseman that talked about "what if” Julio Jones makes that catch in the end zone and they don’t win a Super Bowl. 

Probably in a better place looking at 2021 because they wouldn't have held on to the old talent too long.

But I'd rather have the Lombardi and the memories of 2017 myself. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wyote said:

Absolutely! That's the name of the game right? To win the Lombardi. Every move they made was worth it because it brought them the holy grail. Every decision was the right decision for the same reason.

Drafting Wentz was 100% the right decision. Without Carson they don't win the Super Bowl because Foles doesn't win 11 games and put us in the play offs as the #1 contender and that was key to making the SB. 

And I am one of Howie's biggest critics, I want the guy out but there is no way he is the sole problem with this organisation. There are many issues within this organisation and whilst Howie is the biggest problem he can't be the sole problem. Ultimately he makes the final decision but we don't know what information he is being provided with in order to make those decisions. Is he being given the correct information? Do we have good scouts? Were the coaches actually developing players? At this point we don't know the answer to that. Until we have coaches who can develop players we can't truly determine that Howie is awful in the draft. I think he is because I look around the league and I don't see many former Eagles draft picks who are having a lot of success elsewhere but the previous coaching regime didn't develop players very well.

C'mon man - this is a typical philly media hit piece. The writer comes up with a critical premise and then backs it up with unnamed sources. 

And the problem with Howie is what - we won the super bowl and went to the playoffs the next two years. Had one bad down year because of injuries, our quarterback was like a teenager who found out he had competition for the pretty girl, and our coach didn't have any idea how to hire good coaches. 

Aside from Mailata has this coaching staff developed any player on either side of the ball? Are Goedert or Sanders better than they were as rookies?  Did it benefit Dillard to have a redshirt year? Schwartz didn't develop Jones or Douglas and let Wallace wallow on the bench last year. He played Gerry on and on until he got hurt and then we found out we had a real linebacker in Singleton. How is any of that Howie's fault. Hell, Barnett's stats are just shy of Mike Mamula's and we killed him. 

The draft - Goedert and Sanders were very good picks while the jury is still out on 2020 and 2019. No one thought JJAW or Sidney Jones were bad picks and by the way, Saint Joe Douglas was in the building leading the charge for those picks and like it or not Barnett was his baby too. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

They wouldn't have gotten so full of themselves which would have been helpful. They'd still have 'an empty trophy case' and all that goes with that though.

Roseman's inability to draft impactful prospects is the #1 problem with the Eagles. The core of roster building is the draft. Do well and you build a strong core. Do poorly and you build a mediocre core. We know which the Eagles have for right now, and the near future, and why.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2021 at 1:01 AM, wyote said:

Probably in a better place looking at 2021 because they wouldn't have held on to the old talent too long.

Yep, been saying the same.  It's too bad we couldn't remain competitive ... Howie's poor track record with drafting is the main culprit for that.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yep, been saying the same.  It's too bad we couldn't remain competitive ... Howie's poor track record with drafting is the main culprit for that.  

Without doubt. We are in this position because Howie can't draft. As a result the roster kept getting older without the young talent to take over. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's ridiculous to look at one facet of BUILDING and COACHING a roster state that it's "the reason" the eagles are in the position they're in.

When roseman juggled the draft, unloaded lousy contracts that kelly handed out, wheeled and dealed and drafted Wentz, EVERYBODY was thrilled. But NOBODY expected Wentz to fall off the map last year......unprecedented. 

And nobody considers how many injuries over the last 3 years the eagles suffered.  Only Jets and 49ers had more.  Injuries contribute to lower performance.  If injuries are just an excuse and shouldn't matter, then talent means nothing.  

And I think that Pedersen wasn't very good at developing young talent.  Duce, Stoutland, Reich and Difilippo were....but they went thru 4 WR coaches.....Pederson seem to relate better with the vets.  That is just my opinion.

So while I'm not defending Roseman's drafting, it's not the only factor that caused the eagles to struggle.  Young guys being played too soon, poor coaching, injuries early in their career and perhaps poor rehab and preparation.  

I think the eagles have 16-18 guys on the roster from the last 3 drafts and a few UDFA guys.  Let's see how Sirianni and his staff does with what he's inherited and what he'll be given.  Maybe he proves the Roseman truly is the problem, or maybe he turns Roseman into a genius.

• Like 2