Eagles Rumors: Brandon Graham Working on Contract Restructure Ahead of FA

Road to Victory

Eagles Rumors: Brandon Graham Working on Contract Restructure Ahead of FA

TYLER CONWAYMARCH 3, 2021

The Philadelphia Eagles and defensive end Brandon Graham are reportedly working on restructuring his contract ahead of free agency.

NFL reporter Derek Gunn disclosed the news, though it's unclear if a deal is close.

Graham currently has a $17.9 million cap number for 2021 but would offer only $716,000 in savings for the Eagles if they released him. Designating him as a post-June 1 cut would save the Eagles $13 million but offer little for the team in giving them immediate cap room. 

A restructuring would allow the Eagles to keep Graham on the roster while also getting more immediate cap space. It's likely the team would convert some of his $13 million base salary into a bonus or agree to an extension that provides cap relief in exchange for Graham getting guaranteed money.

The Eagles already have cap hits stretching into 2024 due to Graham's current contract, including a $12.3 million dead-cap charge in 2022. 

Graham, who made his first Pro Bowl in 2020 as one of the few bright spots in a frustrating Eagles season, has spent his first 11 seasons in Philadelphia. He's been one of the league's most durable players, missing only one game over the last nine seasons.

"I don't want to go anywhere," Graham said Tuesday, per Zach Berman of The Athletic. "I know I don’t have long, but I know for me, I'm here in Philly. So when I'm (retired, I'm) either going to be working here or doing something in Philly to stay connected to the team. I don't want to mess that up by just dipping out when things got a little tough. But who knows how it’s gonna go this year? Jalen (Hurts) might go in there and rock our world and lead this team down a road that I feel we could (go)."

The Eagles are currently $43 million over the projected cap, so significant changes to the roster are guaranteed in the coming days. If Graham and the Eagles can't find common ground, he'll likely be one of the cap casualties. 

Despite his age, BG is one of the few players where it makes sense to extend to offer some much needed cap relief in 2021.  He is still playing at a high level and has been super durable.  I don't think using the post June 1 designation on him is an option - I believe teams are limited to using that on 2 players and we plan to do so with Jeffery and Malik Jackson.  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Despite his age, BG is one of the few players where it makes sense to extend to offer some much needed cap relief in 2021.  He is still playing at a high level and has been super durable.  I don't think using the post June 1 designation on him is an option - I believe teams are limited to using that on 2 players and we plan to do so with Jeffery and Malik Jackson.  

I’m not sure they cut Malik Jackson. I went to OTC and they are showing Jackson with a $5.6m cap number for 2021. That’s a pretty reasonable number. They also show a $2m cap gain if they cut him June 1st. At that price, he’s worth keeping. The $2m cap gain also gets offset by whoever you replace him with so the actual cap gain is minimal. 

At one point I trusted Howie to know what to do with extensions and such. I don't anymore

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

I’m not sure they cut Malik Jackson. I went to OTC and they are showing Jackson with a $5.6m cap number for 2021. That’s a pretty reasonable number. They also show a $2m cap gain if they cut him June 1st. At that price, he’s worth keeping. The $2m cap gain also gets offset by whoever you replace him with so the actual cap gain is minimal. 

The site must not be updated as they recently restructured his contract.  It helped us by freeing up some much needed cap space but it also helps him ... the new deal also contains a clause that we will pay him $25M for the 2021 season if he is on the roster for the start of the league year.  That gives him the guarantee he will indeed be cut early so he can look for employment elsewhere (and not drag this out thinking we can trade him).

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-cap-room-2021-eagles-howie-roseman-alshon-jeffery-malik-jackson-zach-ertz 

45 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The site must not be updated as they recently restructured his contract.  It helped us by freeing up some much needed cap space but it also helps him ... the new deal also contains a clause that we will pay him $25M for the 2021 season if he is on the roster for the start of the league year.  That gives him the guarantee he will indeed be cut early so he can look for employment elsewhere (and not drag this out thinking we can trade him).

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/nfl-cap-room-2021-eagles-howie-roseman-alshon-jeffery-malik-jackson-zach-ertz 

Yeah, not sure but this is what it shows, 

https://overthecap.com/player/malik-jackson/29/

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

See I disagree. Look BG is great, he's probably my favourite Eagle. I love that he wants to be in Philly and wants to retire here. But this is just kicking the can down the road. Eventually, given the age of this roster, there's going to be a lot of dead cap in future years on guys who are retired.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I disagree. Look BG is great, he's probably my favourite Eagle. I love that he wants to be in Philly and wants to retire here. But this is just kicking the can down the road. Eventually, given the age of this roster, there's going to be a lot of dead cap in future years on guys who are retired.

I agree. If you can save $13m by designating him as a June 1st cut, I’d say let’s do it.

It would be great to see him retire as an Eagle but Howie F’d up the roster so bad, we’re in cap hell. 

First, Graham is not part of the Eagles future. He may have a couple good years left but the Eagles are least a couple years away from competing. Shed the money now if you can. Don’t wait until 2022/23 to take cap hits. Second, use the savings to sign/extend younger players who will be part of the future. Third, it gives the younger players more time on the field. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don’t think there is much of a choice though.  He has a cap hit of almost $18M and less than $1M in cap savings I’d cut.  And they can’t do a post June 1 designation on him sooooo ...

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don’t think there is much of a choice though.  He has a cap hit of almost $18M and less than $1M in cap savings I’d cut.  And they can’t do a post June 1 designation on him sooooo ...

Why can't they do a post June 1 designation on him?

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why can't they do a post June 1 designation on him?

It is quoted in the link in my earlier post (5 above yours) - look just under the section on Jeffery.  They are limited to using that designation on only 2 players - Alshon and Malik.

• Like 1