The Day Before Mock Draft

Han Solo

I decide to really focus on defense backs.  When we have guys like Craig James, Kevon Seymour, Elijah Riley and Jameson Houston getting snaps, it tells you everything about the quality of players we have in the defensive back room.  When was the last time that we actually had a real playmaker in the secondary?  When was the last time one of our defensive backs was amongst the league leaders in turnovers? 

1 (12) - Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

2 (37) - Trevon Moerhig, S, TCU (please land in our laps) (Epps, Arnold, Adams, etc. are not the answer)

*Trade picks 70 and 84 to the Cardinals for pick 49

2 (49) - Asante Samuel, Jr., CB, Florida State (because Maddox just isn't good)

4 (123) - Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson (already 23, but the size and speed are intriguing, so much untapped potential)

*Trade Z. Ertz to Packers for pick 135

4 (135) - Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State

5 (150) - Michal Menet, C, Penn State

6 (189) - Earnest Brown IV, DE, Northwestern (great size for a DE, let's see what Rocker can do with him)

6 (224) - Shaka Toney, OLB, Penn State (might be athletic enough to make the transition, core special teamer)

6 (225) - Zech McPhearson, CB, Texas Tech (already better than 3/4 of the guys that will be in the defensive back meetings, special teams captain material)

7 (234) - Darius Stills, DT, West Virginia (undersized but great motor, can Rocker teach him discipline?)

7 (240) Avery Williams, Returner, Boise State (no more Greg Ward fair catches)

If things work out well, we would have a solid secondary for years and then we can focus the 2022 draft on Offensive and Defensive line.  I'm also willing to give Siriani one season with Reagor, Fulgham, Watkins, Hightower, Ward, Powell, JJAW before looking at the position in the 2022 draft.

• Like 1

I like your picks, and I actually made the same trade up for Samuel Jr. in my Howie Roseman mock haha.

Personally I don't see Darius Stills falling all the way to Round 7. I think he's a solid mid-round prospect who should go in Rounds 4-5.

Other than that, I love the idea of going heavy on DBs early. Horn, Moehrig, and Samuel Jr. Is a very solid haul in the first two rounds. While I would have loved another early pick on WR, we can't fix everything in one offseason, and Powell is a good choice in Round 4. Hopefully Sirianni and Co. can bring the best out of our existing guys.

• Like 2

I like the players you've picked so it's hard to argue with that too much. But the first 3 picks all in the secondary? I'm just not sure about that. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like the players you've picked so it's hard to argue with that too much. But the first 3 picks all in the secondary? I'm just not sure about that. 

Just look at the roster and tell me 3 DBs that excite you.

2 minutes ago, Han Solo said:

Just look at the roster and tell me 3 DBs that excite you.

None none and none. But I can say that of WR. LB isn't in a great spot either. OL is ageing. DL is ageing.

52 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

None none and none. But I can say that of WR. LB isn't in a great spot either. OL is ageing. DL is ageing.

We have 3 young WRs, that were thrown into the middle of a bad QB-Coach-GM divorce battle, and will have a chance to show development under a new staff.  The defensive back room is full of guys that probably don't even make a CFL roster.

It's going to be a multiple year fix, my friend.  Next year, we have 3 1st rd picks.  If Hurts is fine, and the WRs progress then we can concentrate on drafting to replace the aging OL and DL.  If not, at lest we'd be in position to draft a new QB and hopefully a good WR prospect.

1 minute ago, Han Solo said:

We have 3 young WRs, that were thrown into the middle of a bad QB-Coach-GM divorce battle, and will have a chance to show development under a new staff.  The defensive back room is full of guys that probably don't even make a CFL roster.

We have Reagor who I still have hope for but he's not a volume receiver. We have Fulgham who got hot but ultimately he's a UDFA who's bounced around the league before hitting a good patch and then fading. And we have the 2 young guys in Hightower and Watkins, both of whom are rotational back up guys. 

On 4/28/2021 at 10:40 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Personally I don't see Darius Stills falling all the way to Round 7. I think he's a solid mid-round prospect who should go in Rounds 4-5.

He went undrafted and signed with the Raiders.  I didn't think that would happen.

What is the CB you speak of?guess we are stuck with what we have unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat and trade for Gilmore or something.