Is Howie Roseman the Ben Simmons of NFL GMs?

eaglesfan0075

For those of you who follow the 76ers, you are aware of the Ben Simmons conundrum, excellent player who can do a lot of things exceptionally well but has one major flaw, the inability to make shots from the perimeter, specifically 3 pointers, which is a key skill in today's NBA. Some argue he is an overrated player because of how much people highlight his strengths and brush off his flaws.

The media and many on the EMB praise Howie Roseman for being excellent with managing the cap, getting good value in trades and making smart free agent signings. However we all are aware of his dubious track record when it comes to the draft. Traditionally, successful NFL teams that compete for the Super Bowl consistently often build through the draft. Howie is a bit of an outlier in that regard. Are we brushing off his flaws too easily?

Thoughts?

I really feel Howie is incredibly comfortable in his position. To the point that asinine drafts like this can occur. 

He has no real football aptitude but throws his weight around like he has earned the position to do so.

The problem is it is hard to say otherwise because of the Super Bowl. But I argue that the little **** got lucky with a bunch of FA and has been sniffing his own farts ever since.

• Like 2

In short? No. Simmons is an exceptional player that struggles with one aspect. Howie is not exceptional overall.

• Like 1

Lets face it that we all know some or most of what Roseman does but we are not privy to all the details. I would imagine he is very good at handling all the "non drafting work" otherwise he would not be with the Eagles. Think we all agree on that. Drafting is another aspect of what he is supposed to be very heavily involved in and seems majority of posters agree that he is not as capable or intelligent as most other GMs in that dept. Howie has an ego which is not a bad thing for most people but for himself he lets it get the best of him when it comes to drafting. Football probably was never in his background and I'm guessing when he was hired by Lurie it was for his expertise in various aspects of the organization which did not include football operations. Anyway, he moved up and got what he wanted and that's where we are today. Hopefully at some point Lurie will make changes but would not hold my breath.

• Like 1

I think Roseman needs to handle the negotiating aspect of the GM position and hire a Shannahan type to run Football operations. Need a guy like that to

handle the draft and Howie runs the cap and contracts or we wil keep getting these less than stellar drafts that we have to keep scrutinizing every year.

• Like 1

Just now, DawkinsisGOD said:

Need a guy like that to

handle the draft and Howie runs the cap and contracts or we wil keep getting these less than stellar drafts that we have to keep scrutinizing every year.

Yeah agreed. Howie is great at managing the cap and handling that side of things. But we need someone to take over the drafting side of things. 

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:59 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

For those of you who follow the 76ers, you are aware of the Ben Simmons conundrum, excellent player who can do a lot of things exceptionally well but has one major flaw, the inability to make shots from the perimeter, specifically 3 pointers, which is a key skill in today's NBA. Some argue he is an overrated player because of how much people highlight his strengths and brush off his flaws.

The media and many on the EMB praise Howie Roseman for being excellent with managing the cap, getting good value in trades and making smart free agent signings. However we all are aware of his dubious track record when it comes to the draft. Traditionally, successful NFL teams that compete for the Super Bowl consistently often build through the draft. Howie is a bit of an outlier in that regard. Are we brushing off his flaws too easily?

Thoughts?

I can go with this to a point, but I think we are giving too much credit to roseman on the free agents. he's has quite a few blunders.

this all has to play out, but ideally, you want your 1st two rounders to be starters or you're doing something wrong.  

• Like 1

Only if you're the Ben Simmons of the EMB. Make good posts but can't hit on a thread. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Only if you're the Ben Simmons of the EMB. Make good posts but can't hit on a thread. 

So what you're telling me is that I need to create more threads? The same way Ben needs to shoot more 3s 😂

In all seriousness, I do post a lot more than I create threads. Usually if I'm creating new threads it's in TATE for a player that hadn't been discussed yet as a FA/trade/draft target. Or the mock drafts section, of course 😎

• Like 1

Howie is better than Ben Simmons. Howie's moves played a huge role in putting together the Eagles' only Super Bowl roster. Ben Simmons has never done such a thing. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The part of his job that he loves the most and would never give up is the part he's worst at. Shame ain't it?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 12:59 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Two clarifications, provided from someone in the "Ben Simmons is overrated" camp.

1) The fact Simmons can't shoot from the outside is a problem because he's a point guard.  His weakness sometimes undermines the 76ers' offense, especially against good defensive teams, because the 76ers' floor spacing is often poor at the offensive end.  If Simmons wasn't a primary ball-handler, or was a center, it wouldn't be a major problem, even in today's NBA.

2) Simmons also turns the ball over a lot.

I'm sorry, did we just win a Super Bowl 2 years ago with Howie as the GM?  The first in this team's history?  He isn't perfect but man some of you have short memories.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn’t he just voted the smartest GM in the league by NFL agents?

Hey Dr. Seuss.....how bout you stop shoving your face with green eggs and veiny sausage for 5 minutes so I can bish slap you with my johnson?

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2020 at 12:49 PM, Alpha_TATEr said:

I can go with this to a point, but I think we are giving too much credit to roseman on the free agents. he's has quite a few blunders.

this all has to play out, but ideally, you want your 1st two rounders to be starters or you're doing something wrong.  

You mean like Joe douglas?  who was a draft guru when hired...n we haave 3 of his picks from 2017..  and his 2019 looks to be poop so far in dillard n JJAW.

Lets face it draft is a crap shoot. sure you make educated guesses but go thru a list of teams the most successful ones.  You will see they are just as much hit or miss as us. Their msg boards probably envy us drafting cox, graham sanders,johnson, kelce,  ertz  to an extent goddard and wentz.    mccoy jackson not too long ago..  When your draft produces superstars it makes your whole class and draft history look a lot better than it actually may have been

17 hours ago, LesGoEagles said:

You mean like Joe douglas?  who was a draft guru when hired...n we haave 3 of his picks from 2017..  and his 2019 looks to be poop so far in dillard n JJAW.

Lets face it draft is a crap shoot. sure you make educated guesses but go thru a list of teams the most successful ones.  You will see they are just as much hit or miss as us. Their msg boards probably envy us drafting cox, graham sanders,johnson, kelce,  ertz  to an extent goddard and wentz.    mccoy jackson not too long ago..  When your draft produces superstars it makes your whole class and draft history look a lot better than it actually may have been

i dont give douglas a pass for the blunders, but this thread is calling out roseman and deservingly so. i also wonder how many of those picks were actually players douglas wanted vs what roseman wanted. howie had final say. 

Howie won a super bowl, so there's that. When Ben Simmons wins a world championship come back and we'll talk. LOL.