Eagles' Howie Roseman Explains Awkward Draft Room Video with Tom Donahoe

Road to Victory

Eagles' Howie Roseman Explains Awkward Draft Room Video with Tom Donahoe

TYLER CONWAYMAY 4, 2021

Howie Roseman's draft-room interaction with Tom Donahoe was apparently every bit as awkward as it appeared on camera.

The Eagles general manager appeared on 94 WIP in Philadelphia on Tuesday, saying Donahoe was angry because he wanted the team to take NC State defensive tackle Alim McNeill rather than trade back in Round 3. 

The Eagles acquired an extra sixth-round pick to move back three spots to No. 73 overall; McNeill was taken No. 72 by the Detroit Lions, leaving Philly to take Louisiana Tech defensive tackle Milton Williams.

"We had two guys, two guys standing out on our board. Two defensive linemen,” Roseman said. "And they’re different. They’re different flavors. One is a three-technique, one is more of a nose tackle. Obviously, when you have different flavors, everyone likes different flavors.”

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer confirmed Roseman's account of events, reporting Donahoe thought the extra sixth-round pick was "needless." He was also not the only person in the front office who preferred McNeill. 

Of course, Donahoe was the only person who was so demonstrably upset by the pick that his reaction went viral. As Roseman went to fist-bump his fellow Eagles front office members after selecting Williams, Donahoe was shown giving him a half-hearted acknowledgment before putting his hands in his pockets in frustration. Donahoe then appeared to say something to Roseman, who offered a shrug in response. 

While none of the audio was available on the draft broadcast, it's clear there was some level of fissure in the Eagles front office.

• Haha 1

It’s rare that we get this type of transparency from the FO. Let’s see who’s right. 

22 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

One is a three-technique, one is more of a nose tackle. Obviously, when you have different flavors, everyone likes different flavors.”

Which is which?

I mean to be fair... The extra sixth round pick was needless. But if the FO were divided on which one then getting an extra pick to be happy either way isn't a disaster. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Which is which?

I mean to be fair... The extra sixth round pick was needless. But if the FO were divided on which one then getting an extra pick to be happy either way isn't a disaster. 

McNeill is the NT, Williams the 3 tech.  I wonder which was Gannon's preference.  I wonder if Williams was a consolation prize (kinda like missing out on Easton Stick by 1 pick and taking Clayton Thorson).  

Anyway, Howie sure has a really weird way of describing draft picks ... "They're different flavors.  When you have different flavors, everyone likes different flavors."  Like previously when he described them comparing to chocolate vs vanilla ice cream.  He thinks he's being witty but just comes off sounding queer.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

McNeill is the NT, Williams the 3 tech.  I wonder which was Gannon's preference.  I wonder if Williams was a consolation prize (kinda like missing out on Easton Stick by 1 pick and taking Clayton Thorson).  

From the reaction I think Williams was a Gannon guy to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

From the reaction I think Williams was a Gannon guy to be honest. 

Hope so.  That matters more than what Donahue’s preference was.  Maybe Donahue just feels the same about Howie that most of his do hence the reaction.  :lol:

• Like 2

Howie Roseman and his high energy fist bumps..................

New trending GIF tagged eye roll disgust duh… | Trending Gifs

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

Hope so.  That matters more than what Donahue’s preference was.  Maybe Donahue just feels the same about Howie that most of his do hence the reaction.  :lol:

I'm sure he does although he has worked for the Eagles for a long time with Howie hasn't he? You'd think by now he'd be worn down and accepting of how things are. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm sure he does although he has worked for the Eagles for a long time with Howie hasn't he? You'd think by now he'd be worn down and accepting of how things are. 

That last part was said (typed) jokingly ... the first part was sincere.  But I do think there is some truth to Donahue having preference for one of the players that went 70-72 (regardless of how the rest of the draft room felt about Williams at 73).  

• Like 1

Howie takes Vanilla and Chocolate at the same time...

Not That There's Anything Wrong With That Reaction Gif On Seinfeld