Giants said to be “livid” when Eagles drafted DeVonta Smith

time2rock

Giants said to be "livid” when Eagles drafted DeVonta Smith

Some college coaches surprised Giants selected Kadarius Toney

By Ed Valentine@Valentine_Ed  May 7, 2021, 9:22am EDT  

CFP National Championship Presented by AT&T - Ohio State v Alabama

Photo by Alika Jenner/Getty Images

The New York Giants were "livid” when the Philadelphia Eagles jumped them to select Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith, according to an SEC coach. [ESPN Insider only]

An SEC defensive coordinator told ESPN that "The Giants wanted DeVonta bad. They were pretty livid when Philly moved in front of them.”

The Giants, of course, reacted by making the first trade down in Dave Gettleman’s nine drafts a general manager, moving from No. 11 to No. 20 and selecting wide receiver Kadarius Toney.

That, too, surprised some college coaches.

Here is one response:

"Kadarius was a Wildcat guy. Kadarius was, ‘He’s in the game, get ready for fly sweep, or get ready for a trick play,’” the coach said. "He was an elite guy that way. But for a guy like that to go in the first round, I hadn’t seen that before. That’s the Tyreek Hill effect.”

Here is another;

"For a while, everybody wanted big receivers, but here’s what you saw in this draft: Speed matters,” an SEC head coach said. "Tyreek Hill is a problem, and it may be a direct response to the Tyreek Hills of the world.”

The Eagles obviously wanted Smith and thought the Giants would select him. We may never know for sure. Whether selecting Toney was the right move or not is something we will only know once we see how his career develops.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2021/5/7/22424552/giants-said-to-be-livid-when-eagles-drafted-devonta-smith-2021-nfl-draft

• Like 1

I think Toney is going to be a good player but I think they reached at #20. But hey they got a very good deal to move back and it unfortunately puts them in a good position next year. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Toney is going to be a good player but I think they reached at #20. But hey they got a very good deal to move back and it unfortunately puts them in a good position next year. 

Yeah they lucked into a great trade back, but I'm hoping the difference between Smith and Toney is so big, they still suffer from it.

Howie did great jumping in for Smith.