Eagles’ DeVonta Smith was convinced he was headed to NFC South or Giants in 2021 NFL Draft

time2rock

Eagles’ DeVonta Smith was convinced he was headed to NFC South or Giants in 2021 NFL Draft

Updated May 10, 8:38 AM; Posted May 10, 8:31 AM
DeVonta Smith

Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith told former Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Chris Long on his podcast that he was thought he was going to the Carolina Panthers.AP

DeVonta Smith was surprised when he was selected by the Eagles last month, not because he didn’t think he was a fit, but because he thought two teams ahead of them were likely to snatch him up.

Speaking with Chris Long on the former Eagles defensive end’s podcast, Smith said he thought he was headed to the NFC South. The Carolina Panthers owned the eighth overall pick, and Smith thought Matt Rhule would pick him before the Eagles got a chance.

The Panthers ended up selecting South Carolina cornerback Jaycee Horn, who was considered a premier target for the Eagles, as well. After Horn went to the Panthers, Smith thought he was going to become a Giant at No. 11.

"I thought Carolina was going to draft me,” Smith told Long (via NBC Sports Philadelphia). "That’s who I thought. I knew of course the Giants, but it was all about, You have to get to 11. I knew if I was there at 11, I was for sure going to the Giants.”

But the Eagles made a deal with the Dallas Cowboys to jump the Giants and pick at No. 10. The Eagles used the 10th overall pick on Smith, surrendering their extra third-round pick in the process.

The Eagles plan to use Smith at multiple positions and appreciate his route-running technique and toughness. With the top two cornerbacks, Horn and Patrick Surtain (Broncos), off the board, the Eagles pounced at the opportunity to land Smith.

With Smith off the board, the Giants traded back with the Chicago Bears, receiving a huge trade haul to make the move. The Bears’ 2022 first-round pick was sent to the Giants in the deal.

Catch and score kid, just catch and score.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Catch and score kid, just catch and score.

Absolutely! And hey twice a guy he gets to show the Giants what they missed out on.