Eagles rookie RB Kenneth Gainwell makes a list of Day 3 steals who could overperform

time2rock

Eagles rookie RB Kenneth Gainwell makes a list of Day 3 steals who could overperform

Kenneth-Gainwell-Eagles-instant-analysis.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

May 17, 2021 6:55 am ET

Howie Roseman landed talent and value during the fifth round of the NFL draft when he landed former Memphis dual-threat running back Kenneth Gainwell at pick No. 150 overall.

An electric runner and pass catcher, Gainwell is expected to alleviate some of the pass-catching difficulties that plagued the Eagles from the running back position last season.

Former NFL safety and ESPN analyst, Matt Bowen listed some of the top sleeper picks who could overperform this coming season.

Kenneth Gainwell, RB, Philadelphia Eagles
Pick: Round 5, No. 150 (Memphis)

Gainwell is a dual-threat running back who can be deployed like Austin Ekeler in the Eagles’ system. Gainwell caught 51 passes for 651 yards in 2019 before he opted out of last season. He’s a patient route runner who can release from the backfield or flex outside to run crossers, corners, and fades.

The Eagles signed Kerryon Johnson after the draft, but that shouldn’t affect Gainwell’s role in Philly. New coach Nick Sirianni can use two-back personnel with both Gainwell and Miles Sanders on the field at the same time to create schematic advantages in the game plan.

Gainwell’s ability as a pass-catcher should allow the Eagles to deploy the rookie in formations and schemes with both veteran running backs, while not impacting Dallas Goedert, DeVonta Smith or Jalen Reagor in personnel groupings.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/17/nfl-draft-philadelphia-eagles-kenneth-gainwell-day-3-steal-overperform/?fbclid=IwAR1n3UBVXIl7rcORJH-OLvYv-7fsrMpLenWntRB4XG30liXnPhRMpoWNC_Y

• Like 1

I really liked this pick - I think Gainwell is going to be a great addition.  Now hopefully next year we use one of those 10 projected 10 draft picks to add a bruiser to round out the group.  :flex:

• Like 2

This is a great example of why taking a 5th round pick for Ertz was the wise thing to do.  5th rounders make your roster.  They can also be traded for 4th round picks the next year

Gainwell is very exciting. He could do it all at the collegiate level. I think that will translate well to the NFL level. Reminds me a little of Westbrook, and if he's half as impactful as Brian was, we got a solid rotational RB.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:26 PM, time2rock said:

I really liked this pick - I think Gainwell is going to be a great addition.  Now hopefully next year we just one of those 10 projected 10 draft picks to add a bruiser to round out the group.  :flex:

Agreed. I think because he opted out of 2020 that hurt his draft stock but actually one year less on the tyres? A well rested RB who may feel he's got a point to prove after dropping. I really think he's going to be a lot of fun and I hope we see him on the field with Sanders.

• Like 1

I had rated mid round 2 so i thought he was one of the steals of the draft.  I'd like to see him as the #3 WR starting in the slot.  I think he could pull it off easily and it would maximize his talents.  I wouldn't take this guy off the field ever.  Start him at slot then shift him to the backfield as needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lemonphosphate said:

I had rated mid round 2 so i thought he was one of the steals of the draft.  I'd like to see him as the #3 WR starting in the slot.  I think he could pull it off easily and it would maximize his talents.  I wouldn't take this guy off the field ever.  Start him at slot then shift him to the backfield as needed. 

I think had he of played this year he probably would have gone higher? I think that went against some players.