Reagor not lacking confidence entering Year 2

time2rock

Reagor not lacking confidence entering Year 2

If Jalen Reagor doesn’t succeed in the NFL, it won’t be for a lack of confidence.

Speaking to a horde of local reporters for the first time since the conclusion of his disappointing rookie season, the 2020 first-round pick made that clear. He’s heard what some folks have said about him and seems singularly focused on coming back with a vengeance in 2021.

"People can say whatever they want to say, but if you respond, you’re wrong,” Reagor said. "It is what it is. I know what I can do better. That’s why I attacked this offseason the way I did. We’ll see if everybody has the same energy after this season.”

Reagor, 22, is a frequent, yet erratic user of social media. All of the tweets from his Twitter account are currently missing, but it’s cyclical. Reagor will go on tweeting sprees, then delete. Earlier this offseason, his 75K+ followers witnessed some exchanges with fans who criticized him after his rookie season.

Maybe it seems like an immaturity issue. Just stay off the phone. But maybe Reagor is also using those critics as fuel. Fine line.

Whatever the motivation, Reagor vows to get better. Reagor on Tuesday didn’t want to get into the specifics of his offseason workouts other than to say he attacked them in an effort to improve every facet of his game.

"Honestly, you’re just going to see a whole lot of improvement,” Reagor said. "That’s all I can say. Incline.”

In what areas did Reagor want to focus that improvement?

"Everything,” he responded. "Being a complete wide receiver, mastering the things that take no talent and then fine-tuning the details, doing everything with intent and just knowing that I’m blessed as well. Letting my God-given ability take over.”

Reagor speaks through a scowl during interviews. You could argue that’s because of the critics of his rookie season but I’d quickly point out that he has been this way in just about every interview he’s done since becoming a pro. He answers questions but is guarded, serious. There’s likely a fun side in there somewhere under the gruff exterior but Reagor isn’t interested in letting it out. At least not yet.

He is a serious-minded 22-year-old, seemingly focused only on becoming a successful pro in the NFL.

On Tuesday, one reporter tried to jokingly ask Reagor if he had any notes after watching old tape of head coach Nick Sirianni as a receiver. "We’re different players,” Reagor said, completely missing the joke or just not giving a damn about it. My money’s on the latter.

Reagor on Tuesday applauded the Eagles’ draft choice of fellow receiver DeVonta Smith with the No. 10 pick and is very happy about the return of receivers coach Aaron Moorehead for a second season despite the coaching staff turnover.

As far as the new regime goes, the one major difference for Reagor is that he said he’ll be lining up in the slot more in his second season as Sirianni preaches interchangeability at the position.

Reagor was targeted just 11 times and had 7 catches for 33 yards out of the slot last season, according to ProFootballFocus. By using him in the slot in 2021, the Eagles will hope to gain some explosion out of the position, something they’ve lacked for a few years.

As a rookie, Reagor didn’t have a great showing. He caught just 31 passes for 396 yards and one touchdown, which isn’t good enough for the No. 21 overall pick. It certainly didn’t hurt that Reagor dealt with his fair share of injuries, playing in just 11 games.

"I really didn’t get hurt until I got into the NFL,” he said. "The little injury bug I had, like I said, you gotta go through something to be somebody. I feel like that was just testing my character. I feel like me being healthy, the best ability is availability. As long as I’m healthy, I feel like everything is going to go great.”

Like we said, confidence won’t be the problem.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-jalen-reagor-confident-nfl-year-2?fbclid=IwAR116aSb6BnVKoEGoncWeFVAOIVbGguyCRU3xbB6eQ1UtNfkqwM_RenDIh8

Philly does need to be a bit careful with Reagor: he has a tough exterior but is clearly a sensitive player (which is fine). He listened to his teammate DeVonta’s press conference which is very interesting to me.

• Like 1

It's really hard to make any kind of evaluation of him considering just how much a mess this team (including coaching staff) was from top to bottom last year.  Between the piss poor QB play, crappy play calling, OL injuries, etc. ... we should get a much better idea of what he can do this year (**knock on wood**).  

• Like 3

I'm still cautiously optimistic on Reagor...last year was just so bad from top to bottom that it's impossible to judge.  Besides having a HC that specializes in WR play, other things Reagor will have going for him this year...

Ertz will be gone which will lead to more traditional 11 personnel being run, hence more opportunities.

Having a QB that isn't dropping deuces on the field rather than dimes.

Having another WR that defenses will have to respect (hopefully).

Less pressure.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Having a QB that isn't dropping deuces on the field rather than dimes.

Completely agree with the post in it's entirety but quoting this ... for this ---> :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

I'm still cautiously optimistic on Reagor...

I'm somewhat in the camp too except if I had to wager something important on the over/under for 800+ yards I'd probably take the under.  I'm hopeful for a good result for the reasons you mentioned is probably the best term for me.

• Like 1

The pressure is somewhat off this year. With Smith being drafted in the first and all of the hype and hope with Smith I think Reagor can go about his business a little quieter. But he's got to really show us more this year because everyone recognises he didn't show a lot last year. 

if he stays healthy, then we'll see how much growth there is from year 1 to year 2 and if the new system and QB have any effects we can discern. I hope he's  great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

if he stays healthy, then we'll see how much growth there is from year 1 to year 2 and if the new system and QB have any effects we can discern. I hope he's  great.

The worry is that it's another new system and another new QB to grow with (though Hurts was of course here last year and started the 4 games). Let's see how that works out for Reagor. 

• Like 1

Reagor has all of the tools.  He came out of a school that didn't care about polished routes and had horrible QB play   However, he is a legit deep threat.  I don't have any doubt that he is going to be a key part of our success.  The key issue will be if Hurts can get him the ball on the move.

11 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Reagor has all of the tools.  He came out of a school that didn't care about polished routes and had horrible QB play   However, he is a legit deep threat.  I don't have any doubt that he is going to be a key part of our success.  The key issue will be if Hurts can get him the ball on the move.

So I agree with you! But my hesitation is that actually the one thing that really disappointed me with Reagor last year was his speed. He just didn't look that fast.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:18 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So I agree with you! But my hesitation is that actually the one thing that really disappointed me with Reagor last year was his speed. He just didn't look that fast.

He is plenty fast and showed it all through college.  Last year was a total shitshow on offense with QB, coaching, and OLine.  I have high hopes for the coaching and OLine being better this year, thus I'm not judging him too hard...yet.

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

He is plenty fast and showed it all through college.  Last year was a total shitshow on offense with QB, coaching, and OLine.  I have high hopes for the coaching and OLine being better this year, thus I'm not judging him too hard...yet.

But speed is speed... And he didn't look too fast.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But speed is speed... And he didn't look too fast.

We shall see.  No sense In debating it.