Eagles reportedly interested in Julio Jones, Philly has ample first-round capital to trade for Falcons star WR

time2rock

Eagles reportedly interested in Julio Jones, Philly has ample first-round capital to trade for Falcons star WR

The Eagles could have three first-round picks on the table in 2022 and can part ways with one of them for Jones

Jeff Kerr

By Jeff Kerr

May 29, 2021 at 7:37 pm ET2 min read

julio-jones.jpg

Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports

Julio Jones wants out of Atlanta and the Atlanta Falcons want a first-round pick in return for one of the best wide receivers of this era. Enter the Philadelphia Eagles

Per Sports Illustrated's Ed Kracz, the Eagles are interested in acquiring Jones from the Falcons -- who reportedly have a first-round pick offer on the table for the seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver. The Eagles do have two first-round draft picks in 2022 and a conditional first-round pick from the Indianapolis Colts (if Carson Wentz plays 75% of the snaps or plays 70% of the snaps in 2021 and the Colts make the playoffs) available -- one of which they could use to acquire Jones. 

Philadelphia could easily part ways with Indianapolis' first-round pick -- which is right now a second-round pick -- for Jones. The Eagles would be paying a high price if they were to part ways with their own first-round pick or the one acquired from the Miami Dolphins prior to the draft (both of which are expected to be top 20 picks). 

The Eagles and Falcons would be better served waiting until after June 1 to make a trade for Jones (or any NFL team for that matter). Atlanta would only have to eat $7.75 million in dead money and would save $15.3 million in salary cap space if Jones is traded after June 1. The Eagles would have to pay $15.3 million in 2021 if they were to acquire Jones, but also would have same cap relief coming off the books. 

Philadelphia frees up $8.5 million if the Eagles cut or trade Zach Ertz after June 1 and already has $4 million off the books with the post-June 1 designation of the March releases of Alshon Jeffery and Malik Jackson. Per the NFLPA, the Eagles currently have $3,814,453 in available salary cap space -- so they'll free up $12.5 million with these three moves by Tuesday.

Theoretically, the Eagles would have $16.3 million available -- enough to work out a trade for Jones. 

ones has the highest average receiving yards per game in NFL history at 95.5 and had averaged over 100 receiving yards per game in five different seasons, the most in league history (no other receiver has more than three). The 32-year old Jones had 51 catches for 711 yards and three touchdowns in nine games last season, as his average receiving yards per game of 85.7 was sixth in the league. 

Jones has 12,896 career receiving yards though 135 games, the most for a player in NFL history. He's averaged 104.3 yards per game in the playoffs, trailing only Larry Fitzgerald (104.7) for the highest mark in NFL history (minimum five playoff games). 

The Eagles are in the Jones sweepstakes. Whether they get Jones remains to be seen as there are plenty of interested parties for his services. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-reportedly-interested-in-julio-jones-philly-has-ample-first-round-capital-to-trade-for-falcons-star-wr/

I don't see the Eagles being legitimate suitors for him.  However, under Howie, you never know, hence posting it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't see the Eagles being legitimate suitors for him.  However, under Howie, you never know, hence posting it. 

Im sure Howie makes the call just to see what the cost is and the info. Every GM should honestly. But being real buyers, just dont see it. Howie is a tire kicker in this one. 

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Im sure Howie makes the call just to see what the cost is and the info. Every GM should honestly. But being real buyers, just dont see it. Howie is a tire kicker in this one. 

Agreed.  All things considered it just wouldn't make sense.  We started the youth movement by purging aging vets like Jeffery, Jackson, etc. - so bringing in a 32 year old (who missed half the season last year due to injury) doesn't fit the current focus.  Never mind the $15.3M cap hit.  Three years ago this would have made a ton of sense, but not now.

Why though. Why invest premium picks in a guy the wrong side of 30? On a team that's not ready to compete in the next year or two.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Why though. Why invest premium picks in a guy the wrong side of 30? On a team that's not ready to compete in the next year or two.

Exactly right. To me it's a hard pass.

• Like 1

I don’t buy this rumor for a minute. First, the Eagles don’t have the cap space. Second, there’s no way they part with a 1st rounder for a player on the decline. In fact, Atlanta supposedly lowered their asking price because they don’t want to pay him his huge salary and just want him off the roster. Well, guess what other teams don’t want to overpay him either. If someone offered them a 1st they would’ve jumped all over it. 

On 5/31/2021 at 1:44 PM, time2rock said:

Agreed.  All things considered it just wouldn't make sense.  We started the youth movement by purging aging vets like Jeffery, Jackson, etc. - so bringing in a 32 year old (who missed half the season last year due to injury) doesn't fit the current focus.  Never mind the $15.3M cap hit.  Three years ago this would have made a ton of sense, but not now.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:10 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

On 6/1/2021 at 12:26 PM, PoconoDon said:

Exactly right. To me it's a hard pass.

I actually think there is a small chance that the Eagles could be competitive this year if Hurts turns out to be good and a number of things go our way.

BUT - for that to happen we would also need to address CB2, which can't happen if we try and fit in Julio's cap hit. We would also probably need to get rid of Barnett and further weaken the D.

So basically it's a hard pass - agree with all of you.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

BUT - for that to happen we would also need to address CB2, which can't happen if we try and fit in Julio's cap hit. We would also probably need to get rid of Barnett and further weaken the D.

I know it's only one position but I'm not sure this team can be competitive unless they do address CB2. I mean look I know it's just one position I get that but right now CB2 is such a car crash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know it's only one position but I'm not sure this team can be competitive unless they do address CB2. I mean look I know it's just one position I get that but right now CB2 is such a car crash.

Right with you bud. And it's not like the rest of the D is absolutely stacked. We need something at CB2 otherwise it will be Dallas and Arizona all over again and that was painful to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Right with you bud. And it's not like the rest of the D is absolutely stacked. We need something at CB2 otherwise it will be Dallas and Arizona all over again and that was painful to watch.

That's the thing... This team could be good if the offense (Hurts especially) is good. But this D could also absolutely let this team down. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's the thing... This team could be good if the offense (Hurts especially) is good. But this D could also absolutely let this team down. 

Yeah I mean if you look at the O:

O-Line - potentially elite - injury and age issues but a lot of really good players and the return of Dillard and drafting of Dickerson adds some serious depth.

RB - very good - Sanders is probably a top 10 back. Added Howard and Gainwell.

TE - If Ertz is back we have potentially the best 1/2 combo in the league. Goedert has flashed top 5 potential, hopefully he can turn it on this year.

WR - question mark, but I'm pretty bullish that Smith will be really good. Reagor doesn't have to improve that much to be a solid 2. Ward is okay. Fulgham and Watkins both showed promied.

QB  - Big question mark - nobody knows really how good Hurts can be. 

But the D has question marks all over the place apart from the D-Line and CB outside of Slay is beyond weak.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

But the D has question marks all over the place apart from the D-Line and CB outside of Slay is beyond weak.

There are pieces about this defense I really do like. I like the DL and the rotation there could be really good especially if Williams can step up in the NFL. The LBs could now be solid but the corners worry me.