Dallas Goedert discussing contract extension with Eagles, hopes Zach Ertz stays with team in 2021

time2rock

Dallas Goedert discussing contract extension with Eagles, hopes Zach Ertz stays with team in 2021

Goedert will become the TE1 if Ertz departs

Jeff Kerr

By Jeff Kerr

16 hrs ago1 min read

dallas-goedert-eagles.jpg

Dallas Goedert was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles to eventually become the heir apparent at tight end to Zach Ertz, which may be coming a year sooner than expected. Ertz, heading into the final year of his contract, and the Eagles are expected to part ways this offseason -- the Eagles are trying to find the right trade compensation for Ertz -- paving the way for Goedert to become the starting tight end in 2021. 

Goedert is also heading into the final year of his rookie deal. While free agency is upon him, Goedert is preparing to be in Philadelphia for years to come. 

"I think the contract stuff is still in discussions a little bit," Goedert said on a conference call with reporters Wednesday. "I'm not too worried about that...I would love to be in Philly forever and having the second contract is the ultimate goal. The sooner you can get to it, I feel like it's better. 

"Either way, whether I get it or not, I'm going to have the same mentality. I have to go in there, have a good year, we have to make the playoffs, we have to get more wins than we did last year."

Goedert is coming off a decrease in production from a breakthrough 2019 season, catching 46 passes for 524 yards and three touchdowns in 2020. In 2019, Goedert finished with 58 catches for 607 yards and five touchdowns. Goedert is 11th among tight ends in receptions, 12th in catches, and 13th in touchdowns over the last two years.

Of course, Goedert has been the No. 2 tight end behind Ertz during that stretch. Goedert's time to shine for the Eagles is coming, but he's willing to wait -- especially since having him and Ertz lined up at tight end makes the Eagles offense much more dangerous. 

"We'll take him back here," Goedert said. "The more good players we have here the better... Zach's been an incredible mentor to me. The way he attacked every day, how much he knew about the playbook, how much he knew about opposing defenses. The way he approached everything, the way he was able to dissect defenses, the way he was able to attack leverage. Learning from him was one of the biggest blessings of my career.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dallas-goedert-discussing-contract-extension-with-eagles-hopes-zach-ertz-stays-with-team-in-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2n2Z3C16wZu_Wo--ZDnHTLNYrRvY-azglhdREWon9XUqZBVSIpCoqnFVQ

Of course Goedert wants Ertz to come back in 2021. It's another target for a defense to worry about and potentially open things up for Goedert to put up big numbers. And if he's not agreed a new contract extension by that point then the numbers go up. 

On 6/4/2021 at 6:22 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Of course Goedert wants Ertz to come back in 2021. It's another target for a defense to worry about and potentially open things up for Goedert to put up big numbers. And if he's not agreed a new contract extension by that point then the numbers go up. 

I really hope we get Goedert signed sooner rather than later.

As for Ertz, I am still waiting for at least a 4th and ideally a 3rd or conditional 3rd. I look at some of the other players who teams have traded 3rd round picks for or more (Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders were recent examples) and I think a lot of people are undervaluing Ertz because of last season.

9 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I really hope we get Goedert signed sooner rather than later.

As for Ertz, I am still waiting for at least a 4th and ideally a 3rd or conditional 3rd. I look at some of the other players who teams have traded 3rd round picks for or more (Golden Tate and Emmanuel Sanders were recent examples) and I think a lot of people are undervaluing Ertz because of last season.

I don't see us getting anywhere near that for Ertz bud. They'll be lucky at this point if they get a fifth round pick. Teams know we are likely to cut him at some point so they aren't going to give up much.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't see us getting anywhere near that for Ertz bud. They'll be lucky at this point if they get a fifth round pick. Teams know we are likely to cut him at some point so they aren't going to give up much.

Perhaps if a team has serious interest in adding him they'll consider trading a conditional pick for him (e.g a 5th that could bump up to a 4th if he makes the pro bowl and further bump up to a 3rd if he leads all TEs in receptions or yardage ... something along those lines) to avoid a competition to sign him should he eventually be released and is then free to sign with any team of his choosing.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

Perhaps if a team has serious interest in adding him they'll consider trading a conditional pick for him (e.g a 5th that could bump up to a 4th if he makes the pro bowl and further bump up to a 3rd if he leads all TEs in receptions or yardage ... something along those lines) to avoid a competition to sign him should he eventually be released and is then free to sign with any team of his choosing.  

I could see something like that yeah perhaps. A way for Howie to spin a positive out of the situation.