Brian Baldinger calls Landon Dickerson the 'best offensive lineman' he's seen since Quenton Nelson

time2rock

Brian Baldinger calls Landon Dickerson the 'best offensive lineman' he's seen since Quenton Nelson

Landon-Dickerson-Brian-Baldinger-Quenton-Nelson.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Josh Lynch 

June 18, 2021 11:23 am ET

NFL analyst Brian Baldinger thinks the Eagles might have gotten a steal and a future All-Pro offensive lineman in Landon Dickerson.

During a recent sitdown on NFL Network, the knowledgeable analyst had high praise for the former Crimson Tide star and Philadelphia’s 2021 second-round pick. While breaking down Dickerson’s traits, Baldinger compared him to Quenton Nelson, calling him the best lineman to enter the league since the former Notre Dame star joined Indianapolis.

"He was the best offensive lineman I had seen since Quenton Nelson… You look at him against the Elite Players that are now all in the NFL, and he didn’t have a problem.”

Dickerson was drafted as a center but has played the right and left guard position, and he’s being projected to be a guy that will finally challenge current guard Isaac Seumalo for the starting spot at left guard.

In losing Brandon Brooks and Andre Dillard to season-ending injuries last year, the team kind of fell in a hole when they couldn’t find the production they needed when both were unavailable.

The Eagles chose the strategy of drafting a rugged and versatile player like Dickerson, to avoid deja vu all over again.

Drafted 37th overall in the 2nd round, Dickerson was already favored by many following his rehab treatment from ACL surgery last December.   The rookie already has a mentor and supporter in Eagles offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland.

If Dickerson can regain his form, stay healthy, and absorb Philadelphia’s system, things could be interesting in the NFC East for years to come.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/18/brian-baldinger-landon-dickerson-quenton-nelson-best-offensive-lineman/?fbclid=IwAR17v-evC-8cmJOpkBFR2pv6voQJWR_rfIafjc5SVu_tAFt7YU37tn2zQkQ

2 ankles and 2 knees requiring surgery. 4 out of 5 seasons ended with season ending injuries. I'd say that staying healthy thing is priority #1 for this kid.

• Like 4

No offense to Dickerson, but if there is one person to not believe about hype for Eagle prospects, it's Baldinger.  I'd probably listen to Afan over him.

This is the guy who said JJAW moved like Antonio Brown, who said that Matt Pryor (when he thought it was Mailata) was doing things no one else can, and said that Mike Labinjo  was the best MIKE in the NFL.

Whatever Lurie pays this guy should probably count against our cap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

About midway through Matt Ryan's rookie year, Baldinger said he was the best quarterback in the NFL. Not best rookie quarterback, but best quarterback out of everyone. And this was when Peyton Manning and Tom Brady were in the prime of their careers, not to mention other guys like Roethlisberger, Rivers, Eli, etc.

"Rugged and Versatile"  Versatile I'll give you, it sounds like he can play 3 of the 5 OL positions at a high level. Rugged? Jason Kelce is rugged, has showed up every week for years. Landon Dickerson? I hope he is, check back in a couple years.

8 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

2 ankles and 2 knees requiring surgery. 4 out of 5 seasons ended with season ending injuries. I'd say that staying healthy thing is priority #1 for this kid.

I would have no problem if the team let him sit out this season to heal up his body.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wasn't Nelson drafted last year? Not exactly a huge leap there is it...

He was drafted 3 years ago.  

On 6/19/2021 at 3:17 PM, Procus said:

I would have no problem if the team let him sit out this season to heal up his body.

Me either, it'd be nice to give him time to well and truly heal before throwing him into the melee. They may not want to put him on PUP or IR though unless they're pretty sure they won't need him. Lord knows O line availability sucked last year. Brooks and Lane don't have any fewer miles on them this year than they had last. Lane did his ankle repaired as he should have last year, that may help.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Me either, it'd be nice to give him time to well and truly heal before throwing him into the melee. They may not want to put him on PUP or IR though unless they're pretty sure they won't need him. Lord knows O line availability sucked last year. Brooks and Lane don't have any fewer miles on them this year than they had last. Lane did his ankle repaired as he should have last year, that may help.

And the thing is... They have an opportunity to allow him to fully heal. I mean with Brooks and Lane expected to be healthy (for how long we shall see) we don't need Dickerson to start. We can make sure he's fully healed and ready to go later in year one or even all being well year two. 

On 6/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, eagle45 said:

No offense to Dickerson, but if there is one person to not believe about hype for Eagle prospects, it's Baldinger.  I'd probably listen to Afan over him.

This is the guy who said JJAW moved like Antonio Brown, who said that Matt Pryor (when he thought it was Mailata) was doing things no one else can, and said that Mike Labinjo  was the best MIKE in the NFL.

Whatever Lurie pays this guy should probably count against our cap.

I don't know why it won't get out of my head, but I believe he called Jamar Chaney the next Patrick Willis after about 2 games.  He's definitely like Billy Mumphrey, a kock-eyed optimist.