ESPN names Andre Dillard as the ‘surprise standout’ from Eagles' minicamp

time2rock

Andre-Dillard.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

June 22, 2021 5:30 am ET

The demise of Andre Dillard has been greatly exaggerated and as some around the NFL look to anoint Jordan Mailata as the Eagles’ future at left tackle, the former first-round pick from Washington State isn’t going away quietly.

ESPN’s NFL Nation crew recently highlighted the surprise standouts from offseason minicamps for all 32 NFL teams, and Dillard was the guy for Philadelphia.

Philadelphia Eagles

OT Andre Dillard

The former first-round pick says he has a fire in him like never before after missing the entire 2020 season with a biceps injury. He ditched social media to eliminate distractions and hit the weight room hard over the past year, setting a number of personal records. He is stronger and more confident, and has drawn praise from offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland for his on-field work. He’ll battle it out with former rugby player Jordan Mailata for the starting left tackle spot during training camp. — Tim McManus

Mailata is the more refined athlete, but if Dillard can withstand the opponent’s bullrush while regaining the form that made him a first-round pick, things could get interesting around the NovaCare Complex.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/22/philadelphia-eagles-andre-dillard-standout-minicamp-espn/?fbclid=IwAR22cIGl2p30-k_hxiuDe802TKHd9trjgHmJJgJ4efwKc8qy3XgKWWxCdD8

31 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Andre-Dillard.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

June 22, 2021 5:30 am ET

The demise of Andre Dillard has been greatly exaggerated and as some around the NFL look to anoint Jordan Mailata as the Eagles’ future at left tackle, the former first-round pick from Washington State isn’t going away quietly.

ESPN’s NFL Nation crew recently highlighted the surprise standouts from offseason minicamps for all 32 NFL teams, and Dillard was the guy for Philadelphia.

Philadelphia Eagles

OT Andre Dillard

The former first-round pick says he has a fire in him like never before after missing the entire 2020 season with a biceps injury. He ditched social media to eliminate distractions and hit the weight room hard over the past year, setting a number of personal records. He is stronger and more confident, and has drawn praise from offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland for his on-field work. He’ll battle it out with former rugby player Jordan Mailata for the starting left tackle spot during training camp. — Tim McManus

Mailata is the more refined athlete, but if Dillard can withstand the opponent’s bullrush while regaining the form that made him a first-round pick, things could get interesting around the NovaCare Complex.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/22/philadelphia-eagles-andre-dillard-standout-minicamp-espn/?fbclid=IwAR22cIGl2p30-k_hxiuDe802TKHd9trjgHmJJgJ4efwKc8qy3XgKWWxCdD8

If Mailata is 'the more refined athlete' in a sport he only started playing 4 years ago, Dillard isn't winning that spot.

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Mailata has a long, long way to go IMO.

Fixed it for you 🙂

1 minute ago, Perforator said:

Fixed it for you 🙂

Opinions vary.:-)

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If Mailata is 'the more refined athlete' in a sport he only started playing 4 years ago, Dillard isn't winning that spot.

They’re offensive linemen… the more athletic guy isn’t always the better player. 

The Good news is whomever wins the job we are going to be upgraded at back up tackle. No more revolving doors. I hope.

On 6/23/2021 at 2:13 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So he's the stand out without actually doing anything? OK sure. 

I was thinking the same when I posted the article.  

• Like 1

There's no hitting at mini camp.  Once there is, he'll get bull rushed to the ground

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

I was thinking the same when I posted the article.  

I mean it's good that he's showing signs of approaching things with a different mentality and perhaps more maturity. That's good to hear and hopefully is going to help him as a player. But there's no guarantee. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean it's good that he's showing signs of approaching things with a different mentality and perhaps more maturity. That's good to hear and hopefully is going to help him as a player. But there's no guarantee. 

There's just no way to tell where he is until the pads go on and we go live.  Until then they can talk all about his confidence level and mental makeup all they want ... I'll wait and judge later.  

• Like 1

Let's see.  If Dillard is on his game, the Eagles have a good problem.  Maybe Mailata becomes TE2.  Could you imagine?