Why the Eagles are hesitant about adding CB Steven Nelson to the roster?

time2rock

Why the Eagles are hesitant about adding CB Steven Nelson to the roster?

Steven-Nelson-Eagles-Free-Agent-target.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Josh Lynch 

June 22, 2021 11:28 am ET

The Philadelphia Eagles are showing high interest in signing Pittsburgh Steelers corner Steven Nelson and "really like him,” per Adam Caplan from SiriusXM NFL radio.

Philadelphia is reportedly amongst teams hesitant in signing the corner because they aren’t willing to pay him over $3 million on a one-year deal.

A trade scenario for a cornerback like Nelson has come when the Eagles have been looking for their second option at the corner to play alongside all-pro corner Darius Slay.

Defensive coordinator, Dennard Wilson, has expressed to the media the 2nd option at cornerback is up for grabs and an "open competition.”

Last season, Nelson allowed 57 receptions, while logging five pass breakups, and he was targeted 21.9% of the time.

Nelson also logged a coverage rating of +20.4 for the season as well.

The former Steeler would definitely become the cornerback No. 2 that Wilson and the Eagles are looking to step up to the plate adjacent to Slay.

Drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs out of Oregon State in 2015, Nelson played four seasons for Andy Reid before being traded to Pittsburgh in 2019.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/22/philadelphia-eagles-steven-nelson-free-agent-suitors/

If Caplan is reporting we have "serious interest", then I have doubts we have any.  

They signed Mills to a 1 year $4M deal last March ... Nelson for 75% of that is a steal (relatively speaking).  

• Like 1

He would definitely be a huge addition to that secondary and would right away make us better. I don't think the 3mil is the problem. I think its he wants a long term deal.

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

They signed Mills to a 1 year $4M deal last March ... Nelson for 75% of that is a steal (relatively speaking).  

I just don't see any chance that Nelson signs for $3M. I mean he's worth more than that and at some point a team is going to offer him more than that for one reason or another.