Rule change could allow Eagles to bring back kelly green jerseys

time2rock

Rule change could allow Eagles to bring back kelly green jerseys

A new rule for the 2022 season would allow the Eagles to bring back their fan-favorite kelly green jerseys as an alternate.

The NFL sent a memo to teams this afternoon announcing a new policy that will allow teams to use two different helmets during the 2022 season. Teams must inform the NFL if they wish to use a second helmet by July 31.

This has been the hurdle in the way of the Eagles’ bringing back the popular kelly green jerseys as an alternate.

Eagles owner Jeff Lurie has repeatedly said he wants to bring back the jerseys as an alternate (not full-time) but didn’t want to do so without a matching helmet. And he wasn’t interested in using a full helmet decal. The Eagles’ current helmets are midnight green.

This has been a long saga.

"What we’re hoping to have happen ... the whole key is we want a kelly green helmet to go with the kelly green jersey,” Lurie said in March of 2018. "We’re trying to get the league to allow a second helmet. That’s where it’s at. They very much know we want this and we want it badly. We’re waiting.”

The reason the rule had been in place was for safety, not cost. The rule was in place so that each player would have to be fitted correctly for just one helmet per season. But it always seemed silly that the NFL — with seemingly infinite resources — couldn’t make it happen. The Eagles previously proposed this rule change but withdrew it at the suggestion of the competition committee. But there was always a hope it would change.

Even in 2018, competition committee chairman Rich McKay told NBC Sports Philadelphia that he was optimistic the rule would be changed.

"They have to decide, do they want to go to a plan that would be a two-helmet plan for the NFL?” Lurie said in 2018. "That’s not what we do now, it’s a one-helmet league. There’s ramifications in that, I suppose. They know that with the Eagles, it’s important to us. We really want to be able to have kelly green jerseys at time and to make it look really right, you have to have matching helmets.”

It took a few years, but the rule has finally been changed. The Eagles will have to wait one more season but if Lurie is true to his word, kelly green will be back in 2022.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/eagles-kelly-green-jerseys-rule-change-will-allow-them-return?fbclid=IwAR27TZi1OCV860PsD-puOvRnPJHDpNhGzEparnvXNnw6mziSCCK781a7EVw

As long as they get the color right and it's either the 1974 style uniform (not likely) or the 1990 style (most likely). I don't want the 1960 style.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

As long as they get the color right and it's either the 1974 style uniform (not likely) or the 1990 style (most likely). I don't want the 1960 style.  

Or this crappy looking throwback from (around 2010?).

Eagles-kelly-green.png

I think the two helmet rule was just an excuse, 

The jersey doesn't need to match the helmet, I think a Kelly green jersey with a midnight green helmet would have been fine 

I think where one runs into problems is when they go with the white pants Instead of the silver.

Would pull the look together if the whole team wore black cleats as well 

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

The jersey doesn't need to match the helmet, I think a Kelly green jersey with a midnight green helmet would have been fine 

We did do that a few times in recent years.

479DF2FE-D9E1-4264-A007-ECFA33782839.jpeg

3916D859-A103-4A53-8056-11936A5EE395.jpeg

3 hours ago, Utebird said:

I think the two helmet rule was just an excuse, 

I think where one runs into problems is when they go with the white pants Instead of the silver.

Would pull the look together if the whole team wore black cleats as well 

Actually, the whole point of the 1 helmet rule was player safety. They could have done the Kelly Green at any time if they were willing to use a full helmet decal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

We did do that a few times in recent years.

479DF2FE-D9E1-4264-A007-ECFA33782839.jpeg

3916D859-A103-4A53-8056-11936A5EE395.jpeg

Those jerseys have some shiney unnatural look, and the lack of the patch of the eagles carrying the football is disturbing.

And the silver pants really complete the look, it really shouldn't be that difficult to duplicate but for some reason whenever Lurie and Co. Roll out these" Kelly green" jerseys it's a disaster and they always blame the helmet when the blame should lie at the failure to replicate the Kelly green jerseys, both those jerseys above are like some weird lime green or fluorescent green, just not good.

Hopefully they can do it right 

2 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Those jerseys have some shiney unnatural look, and the lack of the patch of the eagles carrying the football is disturbing.

And the silver pants really complete the look, it really shouldn't be that difficult to duplicate but for some reason whenever Lurie and Co. Roll out these" Kelly green" jerseys it's a disaster and they always blame the helmet when the blame should lie at the failure to replicate the Kelly green jerseys, both those jerseys above are like some weird lime green or fluorescent green, just not good.

Hopefully they can do it right 

Agreed.  I mentioned something similar earlier - the recent attempts at the Kelly green throwbacks have been horrendous.  

• Like 1

58dbca0e2e2ec.image.jpg?resize=1476,1287

The only thing they got wrong here was the socks. They should have been all white with two green stripes.

11 hours ago, time2rock said:

Or this crappy looking throwback from (around 2010?).

Eagles-kelly-green.png

They need to bring back the silver pants with the 1980s green jerseys. 

• Like 1

Love Kelly Green, but the Eagles should never get rid of the colors of the Super Bowl team. 

On 6/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, jsdarkstar said:

Love Kelly Green, but the Eagles should never get rid of the colors of the Super Bowl team. 

The 1980 team? :whistle:

3 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

The 1980 team? :whistle:

They lost. I'm referring to the Super Bowl Champions.

How The Eagles Went From Catastrophe To Champion In Two Years |  FiveThirtyEight

• Like 1