Xavien Howard (Dolphins CB) -- Potential Trade?

eaglesfan0075

Howard just made his trade request public with an Instagram post. Thanks to the Byron Jones signing, Howard is the 2nd highest paid CB on the Dolphins despite the fact he is a much better player. With the Eagles signing Steven Nelson, the need for a starting CB2 for this season is not as dire, but for the right price, Howard could form an elite trio with himself and Slay on the outside and Nelson in the slot.

The Eagles already have good trade relations with the Dolphins and Zach Ertz could have some appeal to them as a veteran safety blanket for Tua. The Dolphins did trade for Adam Shaheen and just drafted Hunter Long this year, so it's possible they prefer picks only, but it will be interesting to see what kind of trade value Howard fetches after he made his intentions known public via Instagram.

You know what... I'd still consider this if I were the Eagles. It would give us real options this coming year and then beyond that Howard could be a legit #1 and we could look to move on from either Nelson or Slay after this year. I guess it all comes down to trade price and the contract he wants.

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You know what... I'd still consider this if I were the Eagles. It would give us real options this coming year and then beyond that Howard could be a legit #1 and we could look to move on from either Nelson or Slay after this year. I guess it all comes down to trade price and the contract he wants.

I was thinking the same thing. Nelson is only here on a 1 year deal and could easily sign a big money deal elsewhere if he plays well. Slay's contract extension is backloaded, which makes him a potential trade candidate as well.

• Like 1

So now we are going after top tier corners in a rebuild year? No thanks

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

So now we are going after top tier corners in a rebuild year? No thanks

But Howard is still pretty young. I think going after top tier players to form part of your future is absolutely fine. But again it has to be for the right price. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But Howard is still pretty young. I think going after top tier players to form part of your future is absolutely fine. But again it has to be for the right price. 

Well he is going to want top 3 corner money and he is 28 so do you really want to give up assets and hand out an enormous contract to a corner that is a couple of years away from being about done? Corners usually start their decline once they hit 30. 

Especially when we have zero idea how any of this is gonna go this year? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Howard is 28 and he wants a raise on $15million a year, we'd have to cut or trade multiple players to afford that sort of outlay as well as pro rating as much as they could over 5 years and most corners are done as elite by 31 (Revis, Samuel and Asomugha all played their last game at 32 after their play dropped off a cliff), if he moves at all it'll be to a team that's got a lot more cap space than us.

11 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Howard is 28 and he wants a raise on $15million a year, we'd have to cut or trade multiple players to afford that sort of outlay as well as pro rating as much as they could over 5 years and most corners are done as elite by 31 (Revis, Samuel and Asomugha all played their last game at 32 after their play dropped off a cliff), if he moves at all it'll be to a team that's got a lot more cap space than us.

People hate Howie but, want to do Howie type sheet. I don't get it

• Like 1

Don't have the cap room for him and Watson 

On 7/29/2021 at 8:04 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well he is going to want top 3 corner money and he is 28 so do you really want to give up assets and hand out an enormous contract to a corner that is a couple of years away from being about done? Corners usually start their decline once they hit 30. 

Especially when we have zero idea how any of this is gonna go this year? 

I didn't realise he was 28 so I stand corrected and no it isn't a move that the Eagles should make. I thought he was 25/26 at most.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Even with Nelson on the team I would love to have Howard. 

He's a very good player there's no doubt about that. But I didn't quite realise his age. Anyway he's restructured his contract in Miami so this one is doneso. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 11:50 PM, eaglesfan0075 said:

Howard just made his trade request public with an Instagram post. Thanks to the Byron Jones signing, Howard is the 2nd highest paid CB on the Dolphins despite the fact he is a much better player. With the Eagles signing Steven Nelson, the need for a starting CB2 for this season is not as dire, but for the right price, Howard could form an elite trio with himself and Slay on the outside and Nelson in the slot.

The Eagles already have good trade relations with the Dolphins and Zach Ertz could have some appeal to them as a veteran safety blanket for Tua. The Dolphins did trade for Adam Shaheen and just drafted Hunter Long this year, so it's possible they prefer picks only, but it will be interesting to see what kind of trade value Howard fetches after he made his intentions known public via Instagram.

Howard would be a great addition .