Nick Sirianni: There’s “no rush” to name Jalen Hurts the starter

time2rock

Nick Sirianni: There’s "no rush” to name Jalen Hurts the starter

Posted by Myles Simmons on August 5, 2021, 10:23 AM EDT

Jalen Hurts is the best quarterback on the Eagles roster.

Hurts has been taking the first-team reps during training camp.

But Hurts is not Philadelphia’s starting quarterback — at least not yet.

Head coach Nick Sirianni has been careful not to actually call Hurts the Eagles’ QB1, first during the offseason program and now during training camp. Ostensibly this is because Philadelphia wants to make sure Hurts goes out and earns the job.

But Sirianni was still asked on Thursday why he’s been so hesitant to effectively call a spade a spade.

"There’s just no rush there on having to do that,” Sirianni said during his press conference. "We just want him to continue to impress, and show like he has. We’re just not there yet.”

With the start of the regular season still more than a month away, the Eagles don’t really have to be at that point yet. But unless something wildly dramatic happens, that is going to be Hurts’ job. Sirianni can wait or just outright say it, but the outcome is highly likely to be the same.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/05/nick-sirianni-theres-no-rush-to-name-jalen-hurts-the-starter/

Who cares???  I don't see the need to name a starter 1 week into TC (whether he is the presumed starter or not).  

• Like 2

I hope this isn't all a ruse until the trade for Watson. It's all over social media that trade talks are heating up. I don't believe it but still.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Who cares???  I don't see the need to name a starter 1 week into TC (whether he is the presumed starter or not).  

I don't either and ultimately they have to do it this way because Sirianni wants it to be a competition. And you can't have a competition if you name someone the starter. And at QB I think you want to set the standard for the rest of the team.

• Like 1

I don't "care" that he hasn't named Hurts the starter, even though it's obvious he is.  But, I do wonder what the true reasoning why that is.  With all the Watson trade smoke, it's easy to conclude that Sirianni hasn't named him the starter yet because he doesn't want to say that and then the Eagles trade for Watson.  That would be a bad look.

That said, it would be insanity for the Eagles to trade for Watson right now.

6 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

I don't "care" that he hasn't named Hurts the starter, even though it's obvious he is.  But, I do wonder what the true reasoning why that is.  With all the Watson trade smoke, it's easy to conclude that Sirianni hasn't named him the starter yet because he doesn't want to say that and then the Eagles trade for Watson.  That would be a bad look.

That said, it would be insanity for the Eagles to trade for Watson right now.

It's because Sirianni preaches competition and you can't preach that if you then name your starter. He hasn't named a starter at any position yet... But we know certain players will be starters. 

24 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's because Sirianni preaches competition and you can't preach that if you then name your starter. He hasn't named a starter at any position yet... But we know certain players will be starters. 

I get that and appreciate that philosophy, but there just seems more to it in regards to Hurts.  Guess we will see.

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

I get that and appreciate that philosophy, but there just seems more to it in regards to Hurts.  Guess we will see.

I think there's more to it if you wanted to think there's more to it. 

18 hours ago, Portyansky said:

I will lmfao if he starts (1st snap only) Mullins or Flacco game 1 just to prove a point. 

Would be rather amusing! He must be fed up of the question at this point. He'll name the starter when he wants to name the starter. 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:59 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think there's more to it if you wanted to think there's more to it. 

And we will never truly know, so this is all about what we "think".